***Freelancers Alumni & Friends Horn Rehearsals***

Just go.

I agree. When I went to my first alumni corps rehearsal in 1996, I hadn't played in 20+ years. I couldn't find my good mouthpiece and had to play on an old soprano with a 7C so I could sit in. I was really apprehensive when one of the "greats" sat down next to me. I thought "Geez, if he's playing this part, I'll never make the grade." Come to find out, time had taken a toll on him and I was made to feel welcome from the get-go. Stayed ten years and saw the growth from a dozen horns to over seventy on the roster. Good times.

Like I said, if I'm ever in town on business at the right time I'll be stopping by.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. When I went to my first alumni corps rehearsal in 1996, I hadn't played in 20+ years. I couldn't find my good mouthpiece and had to play on an old soprano with a 7C so I could sit in. I was really apprehensive when one of the "greats" sat down next to me. I thought "Geez, if he's playing this part, I'll never make the grade." Come to find out, time had taken a toll on him and I was made to feel welcome from the get-go. Stayed ten years and saw the growth from a dozen horns to over seventy on the roster. Good times.

Like I said, if I'm ever in town on business at the right time I'll be stopping by.

There ya go! It ain't the same, but maybe even better!

There ya go! It ain't the same, but maybe even better!

Message received loud and clear. Wifey says "I'm fine with it . . ." I will be there Tuesday, April 1st, 2008

7:00 p.m. :tongue:

Message received loud and clear. Wifey says "I'm fine with it . . ." I will be there Tuesday, April 1st, 2008

7:00 p.m. :tongue:

Sniff.... You got a darn good woman there Joseph :-)

Sniff.... You got a darn good woman there Joseph :-)

Indeed, 'coarse I only said "I was thinking about going to Freelancer's next Tuesday", "what's that?", "a drum corps alumni horn line . . ."

I didn't say anything about ongoing but hey, she knows me. Right!?! :tongue:

Indeed, 'coarse I only said "I was thinking about going to Freelancer's next Tuesday", "what's that?", "a drum corps alumni horn line . . ."

I didn't say anything about ongoing but hey, she knows me. Right!?! :tongue:

As long as you don't lie!

As long as you don't lie!

No, no, none of that. At this point I am going up to sit in, then I can come back with what it looks to be, I'll have more information and all.

A little over a year and a half ago I decided to go and check out jujutsu lessons, went one night, and then decided to join, that's a three night a week thing.

This is one night every other week, and who knows, I might be willing to cut back on the jujutsu to make this acceptable. She has her American Idol thing going on Tuesday evenings so . . .

We'll have to play it by ear, but for the moment, I am in the clear to attend a rehearsal and see "what it's all about." Plus, it gets me out of the house to play my horn rather than in - bonus.

Hmm...Simi Valley is only about 25 minutes away.

OK...I'll go if you guys produce that hot guard chick (rifle) I met in Montreal in 1984 and make her flirt with me until my wife beats me over the head!! :tongue:

What do you play and do you have your own horn?

Hmm...Simi Valley is only about 25 minutes away.

OK...I'll go if you guys produce that hot guard chick (rifle) I met in Montreal in 1984 and make her flirt with me until my wife beats me over the head!! :tongue:

I don't know about who the hot guard chick from 84 would be, but Charlie Groh will be there. :cool:

What do you play and do you have your own horn?

Carl....You're gonna really like this...<sorry couldn't help myself>

I'll just steal one of Dave's horns. He seems to have found every defunct drum corps on the West coast and acquired their inventory. I'll bet he could field a full Div I hornline. lol.

No...just kidding I have my own ball. I have a trumpet and a two-valve G sop. I also have access to a Bb Bari if that voice is preferred. I play trumpet most of the time, but can hack out a decent bari run on occassion (ask Mr. Rogers, he didn't make too many faces at my sound. lol). I was lead sop with Valley Fever and came into BD late '84. No holes in the sop line at that time so I picked up a bari and got a spot. Played with the alums last summer and am still meeting up with the SoCal guys about once a month to play some old school.

I don't know about who the hot guard chick from 84 would be, but Charlie Groh will be there.

Alright Dave, that might do...if by "Charlie" you mean like... "Charlize" and by "Groh" you really mean "Theron". I guess she didn't have to spin the rifle...I'll make that concession. :tongue:

Edited by skluyuk