True Creativity

I've been sitting at home all day sick with the flu. The only real up-side to that is that while sitting at home I've been watching some great drum corps. This being a luxury I barely have time for any more. But getting to the point, I began thinking a lot about creativity and what it means to me. With all the talk over the past few years amongst the board of directors on rules about creativity, it made me come to the following dilemma:

What's more creative? Finding a new way to present an idea using the same tools you've always had, or finding new tools that fit your idea?

To me the answer came quickly. New presentation, same tools.

I'll use an example of something we all have in common here...music. Take for instance, a great piano player. Now this particular piano master writes his own material as well as works for other pianists. Just like many great player/composers before him he has his trusty piano. And there, before him, lay a set number of keys that all respond to a set pitch. Instead of saying, "this isn't enough to work with", he says, "I'm going to write a piece using these notes before me the likes of which no one has seen or heard. And then we get something new. Just like Chopin and Gershwin used the same tools, but came away with works so characteristic to themselves.

Another point to ponder is that when you try to bend the rules of the game so that you can get away with more, you loose an exciting aspect. It's only truely that much more exciting when we come, knowing what we've heard and seen in the past and being blown away with something totally unexpected.

Now I know there are things to be said about adding new ways of doing things and what it has done for the activity. And I whole heartedly believe that if it is your prerogative to push said bounds then that is in your right. And if that pushing gets you what you want, then great. I merely submit to this community a humble opinion. My only goal of which, is to see if theres anyone else out in the pages of DCP that might agree, or even open my eyes to something I hadn't yet though of.

Thanks.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doing more with less is way more difficult than doing more with more..in fact, having more almost requires you do do more, which can detract from what you already have.

a boy that can build a scale model of the eiffel tower with popsicle sticks and elmer's glue is more impressive to me than the mega-construction company that does it with numerous building compounds.

more with less is true creativity, and that's what made drum corps great...bugles, drums, guard...

doing more with less is way more difficult than doing more with more..in fact, having more almost requires you do do more, which can detract from what you already have.

a boy that can build a scale model of the eiffel tower with popsicle sticks and elmer's glue is more impressive to me than the mega-construction company that does it with numerous building compounds.

more with less is true creativity, and that's what made drum corps great...bugles, drums, guard...

What he said - me too.....

To me, creativity is when someone comes up with something that causes me to respond with, "Now why didn't I think of that?"

I don't think you can pigeonhole creativity to either of the two categories you describe. I work in creative fields (day job: graphic designer, night job: design and instruction with a high school band/drumline program), and can honestly say that there are equal challenges to both situations. The challenge of doing less with more is apparent, but for me, having unlimited tools and no predestined direction or constraints is overwhelming and unfocused. Don't underestimate the challenge in that, either. I think both routes, and everything in between, have potential to end with a creative result.

At the end of the day, I simply define creativity as introducing something new and unique to the world, whether it's absolutely new or a mash-up of other influences. There are almost always going to be challenges unique to each situation.

With something new it brings challanges, how,why, who is going to care. I personally think it is great. But, if it is not good no matter how good the Corps is, it should count aginst such Corps to keep things fair in World class compitition. For example CADETS , great Corps, really bad vocals, and I stress BAD, 2nd place. MADISON SCOUTS, really bad guard, and I stress uniforms, 15th place. Its all wacked to me. I hope this year is great just like last year. All corps, all divisions, keep it up! I believe we are going in the right direction. Cant wait to see SPARTANS,compete World Class. Ill buy a ticket for there 1st show agianst PHANTOM REGIMENT. JERSEY SURF, CAPITOL REGIMENT, SOUTHWIND, KIWANAS KAVALIERS, there are others I am just blank right now Florida Corps, purple, whatever, you read were I am going. I cant wait for a quarter finals with 30 competing Corps in World Class. How long has it been? Cant wait.

JASON

I'll give you an example:

In 1999, we (Madison) did Jesus Christ Superstar. For anyone that is familiar with A. our show and B. the actual rock opera, you are familiar with the electric guitar introduction. Our creative team had to come up with a way to get a similar effect using nothing more than a baritone, mellophone and soprano soloist, and even then, our soprano soloist (Lee Koelz) was able to mimick the trill effect the guitar used at the end of the intro. We didn't need an actual guitar to pull off that effect.

Same year, during the percussion feature (Trial and Crucifixion) after the tenors and snares did their thing, the entire battery and pit threw down the JCS rock beat, and did it using what they had, and NOT a drum set. Nothing against corps that use drum sets, they work depending on how you use them, but I thought it was more "creative" that our staff was able to do the rock beat using the battery and pit.

I'm not trying to start the "electronics Vs. no-electronics" fight again, but I will say that by adding them, you are taking the inginuity out of a lot of design. I believe that true inginuity and creativity stumps the "easy button". Whether or not the judges think that, I can not say, but from a creativity standpoint, it's true.

Anybody else think of any unique ways that corps were able to use true "inginuity and creativity" and at the same time accomplish a really cool effect?

I'll give you an example:

In 1999, we (Madison) did Jesus Christ Superstar. For anyone that is familiar with A. our show and B. the actual rock opera, you are familiar with the electric guitar introduction. Our creative team had to come up with a way to get a similar effect using nothing more than a baritone, mellophone and soprano soloist, and even then, our soprano soloist (Lee Koelz) was able to mimick the trill effect the guitar used at the end of the intro. We didn't need an actual guitar to pull off that effect.

Same year, during the percussion feature (Trial and Crucifixion) after the tenors and snares did their thing, the entire battery and pit threw down the JCS rock beat, and did it using what they had, and NOT a drum set. Nothing against corps that use drum sets, they work depending on how you use them, but I thought it was more "creative" that our staff was able to do the rock beat using the battery and pit.

I'm not trying to start the "electronics Vs. no-electronics" fight again, but I will say that by adding them, you are taking the inginuity out of a lot of design. I believe that true inginuity and creativity stumps the "easy button". Whether or not the judges think that, I can not say, but from a creativity standpoint, it's true.

Anybody else think of any unique ways that corps were able to use true "inginuity and creativity" and at the same time accomplish a really cool effect?

I can name two right off the top of my head and both came from SCV. The sounds of the incoming helicopter in thier Miss Saigon show. They used the heads of bass drums. Pure genius. So much that Kiwanis and Empire copied it when they did their Miss Saigon show. And let's not forget the PVC drums they created. Again, another stroke of genius (even if they got the idea from Blue Man Group).