Drum line numbers

I can think of examples counter to this on both ends, bigger and smaller. 92 Bones jumps to mind for smaller. Didn't they march six snares?

Edit: never mind, they had whole bunches of snares (God, old age is sneaking up). I still don't think you can make such hard and fast rules about it, though.

there were A LOT of corps that marched 6 snares in the 90's. I believe the last finalist corps to march 6 snares was BK 04.

one of my favorite small lines is Phantom 96... 7 snares, 3 tenors, 5 basses. One of the most musical percussion books I have ever heard, and it was executed very well.

~>conner

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there were A LOT of corps that marched 6 snares in the 90's. I believe the last finalist corps to march 6 snares was BK 04.

one of my favorite small lines is Phantom 96... 7 snares, 3 tenors, 5 basses. One of the most musical percussion books I have ever heard, and it was executed very well.

~>conner

Didn't Star march 5 snares one year? Sounded more like a 9 man snareline.

And I heard of one particular corps marching 9.6.6 this year. Probably not who you think.

Didn't Star march 5 snares one year? Sounded more like a 9 man snareline.

And I heard of one particular corps marching 9.6.6 this year. Probably not who you think.

I think that was 91.

~>conner

Well I know BD has their line set at 9-5-5 right now.

We'll see how that lasts the season.

there were A LOT of corps that marched 6 snares in the 90's.

That was before the hornlines got louder because of the switch to b-flat/f! :tongue: jk

-Weedy

Me? I'm a fan of odd-numbers in drumlines!

I'll go with 9 (or 11:) snares, 5 toms, 5 bass, and 5 cymbals.

Me too. Much easier to write drill for.

Numbers really shouldn't make a difference to a GOOD drill writer.

Oh goodness. Touch you.

Being able to write drill for any given number and preferring a certain number because of ease should not be mutually exclusive.

Numbers really shouldn't make a difference to a GOOD drill writer.

it does if your writing for not very good high school bands. But I agree with you for good units.

don't get me wrong, the numbers of any given section are ALWAYS subject to a director's whims, and i'm sure some corps out there at some point marched with two snares and a bass drum or something. that's not the point. the point is, the majority of the time, it's going to be ~9 snares/~5 basses/~4 tenors, just because that's how things are done.

there's an exception to every rule. i don't remember claiming otherwise.