2008: The Season of...

la mejor

I wish I could understand all the quotes in that show! The sound quality isn't so great on my copy.

Okay, so here’s what I can gather from the FANTASTIC Field of View show from 1997….let the hilarity ensue. . . Ps….things in quotes is what I have added so you know what is happening in the video

Field of View you may take the floor for competition:

April 6, 1997…thought of the day. You must follow all rules and regulations, in playing the game. You must toss when the soundtrack gets LOUD! You must have 2.5 kids Everyone should have an ensemble flag statement (guard does silent flag feature)You must have a house in the suburbs. Over Sized Flags, at least 7 foot tall (4 guard members run out carrying huge flags) A dog. Earth tone colors ( 3 flags come out in earth tone colors) 2 cars in a garage. A Tori Amos Soundtrack (Crucify starts to play) Know the right people. Making the right phone calls. NO, no no try it this way. Go to Church on Sunday. Attend Critique. Are we in box 4 or box 5?. 2nd position (guard goes into 2nd position) Non musical flag work…down, up, down up. Rub the right elbows. Smooze!?!? Belong to a country club. Make top 6, make top 6, make top 6 (guard walks like zombies) Keeping up with the jones’ Relax, unwind. DRINK! It’s so hard being us.

Musical interlude

Remember, to succeed you must play the game. 4 out of 5 experts say the answers to playing the game are on pages 77 and 92 of the adjudication manual. For Example, spins, jumps, long phrases hand to hand and hand changes…hand to hand changes. Jump turns, turn jumps. LEAP. LEAP LEAP! Sharing and partnering. Ambidexterity. Articulation. In and out of the ground. Out and into the ground. Attitudes? ATTITUDE! Articulation. Aerobes. Sophisticated movement layered with equipment. Turns on one leg, turns on two legs. . .turns on 3 legs (in an alien voice) (all the above, the guard acts out) tosses…tosses TOSSES! TOSSES! And don’t forget, making right phone calls. Thank you, you may now continue to color outside the lines

Music interlude

Remember, you must toss when the soundtrack gets loud! You only have 20 seconds to complete the required ending ensemble flag statement…in 5, 4, 3, 2 (oversized flag come out) (guard does ending flag statement) (4 of the oversized flags do drop spins. hilarious)

April 7th, 1997…thought of the day. To succeed at this game, you must stay within the lines.

(show over)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been seeing a lot of guards start off in a giant mass/pod/group this year. A lot. Especially coming from a far corner of the floor (Fantasia, Pride, Code Black, Black Gold)........it's starting to weird me out.

how right you are!those "giant amoeba masses" and "undulating anemone pods" have grown quite cliche and they now appear timeworn,commonplace and banal.

i've also tired of the lone performer[usually the tiniest dancer in the guard]rising from within the pod who is held high facing heavenward then born aloft arms outstretched christlike over the heads of the guard and by the end of the phrase is gently returned to terra firma. :worthy:

as an aside i wouldn't include pride as their opening approach is extremely unique and it relates significantly to their program,they create an organic living stylized human bridge.it's evolution is compelling it's timing critical and the concept contributes overall and moves the storyline/soundtrack forward with a purpose.

Edited by dugg

how right you are!those "giant amoeba masses" and "undulating anemone pods" have grown quite cliche and they now appear timeworn,commonplace and banal.

i've also tired of the lone performer[usually the tiniest dancer in the guard]rising from within the pod who is held high facing heavenward then born aloft arms outstretched christlike over the heads of the guard and by the end of the phrase is gently returned to terra firma. :tic:

as an aside i wouldn't include pride as their opening approach is extremely unique and it relates significantly to their program,they create an organic living stylized human bridge.it's evolution is compelling it's timing critical and the concept contributes overall and moves the storyline/soundtrack forward with a purpose.

ME TOO!! ME TOO!!!!!

It starts in the back left cornor..............

And it finishes in the bottom right hand cornor!!!!

I just don't get it????? ...................... :worthy::worthy:

i've also tired of the lone performer[usually the tiniest dancer in the guard]rising from within the pod who is held high facing heavenward then born aloft arms outstretched christlike over the heads of the guard and by the end of the phrase is gently returned to terra firma. :worthy:

in my version i would love to see this tired and shopworn device done only using the heaviest person in the guard[perhaps someone in a fat suit],it would be hysterical to see the guard struggle and strain in an effort to lift the *tubby soloist over their heads.am i wrong? :tic:

*instead of outstreched arms our corpulant soloist should be devouring an entire chocolate eclair throughout the process finishing it on the last count. :worthy:

Edited by dugg

in my version i would love to see this tired and shopworn device done only using the heaviest person in the guard[perhaps someone in a fat suit],it would be hysterical to see the guard struggle and strain in an effort to lift the *tubby soloist over their heads.am i wrong? :worthy:

*instead of outstreched arms our corpulant soloist should be devouring an entire chocolate eclair throughout the process finishing it on the last count. :tic:

I like it!!!! But perhaps as an alternative our distended dancer could daintily dab at the corner of their mouth with a napkin (white or color co-ordinated with the flags or floor) on the last count.

Okay......I'm not saying anything at all about the size of the girls (they're some of our favorite friends in our circuit!), but y'all should really watch Walton High School's show from last year, "Let them Eat Cake!". It was ADORABLE, and involved many of the things mentioned in this thread. :worthy:

Okay......I'm not saying anything at all about the size of the girls (they're some of our favorite friends in our circuit!), but y'all should really watch Walton High School's show from last year, "Let them Eat Cake!". It was ADORABLE, and involved many of the things mentioned in this thread. :thumbup:

I was thinking the same thing. Cake, napkins, stuffing your face, it all screams Walton!

• 2 weeks later...

2008 might be noted for the "return of the exchange".

i've noticed several top guards are using variations of equipment exchanges,once upon a time considered de rigeur for all serious *competitive guards.

a crowd pleaser and a classic effect from yesteryear once disdained [most likely due to it's overuse]by writers but now it's apparently back in vogue.

after it's long absence** it's kind of refreshing to see it return.

*nod to the troopers winter guard!

** with very few exceptions

Edited by dugg

2008 might be noted for the "return of the exchange".

i've noticed several top guards are using variations of equipment exchanges,once upon a time considered de rigeur for all serious *competitive guards.

a crowd pleaser and a classic effect from yesteryear once disdained [most likely due to it's overuse]by writers but now it's apparently back in vogue.

after it's long absence** it's kind of refreshing to see it return.

*nod to the troopers winter guard!

** with very few exceptions

Yes, the exchange is back and it's ###### ! The activity just needed a break of the exchange fest that was Northern Lights.

Coincidentally you can't have a year of the exchange without the year of partner work.

good observation!

partnering has been on the rise for a couple of years now and it's exciting to see the possibilities.

on a different note i am constantly dissapointed by performers stepping out of place or traveling in order to catch a misplaced toss.granted i would rather see the equipment caught than dropped but i cringe when i see a performer leaving their set to retreive.and yet the crowd still screams with approval!oy vey! :tongue:

thanks for indulging my rant! :ph34r: