Wildwood Motel Makes "Worst" List

It was East Quogue.... (south of Riverhead)

Story set up:

Maxim (legal) capacity inside club = 250

Approx number of invited guest to this "Grand Opening" by the owner of said night club. = 200 (looked like it anyways)

1981 = Mirror covered... well... everything. (including the mirrored "disco ball" hanging from the ceiling, about 15 feet off of the floor)

Heh... that was also the night when Dave Whelan played the "Parking Lot Attendant" game.....he was good at it, too.

He did it another time, either that summer or in 1982, at the country-club exhibition we did for Nelson Doubleday those two years. I think that was the day when some drunken rich guy came out and could not remember where he parked his car on the golf course....LOL..... this was, of course, after Dave had "relocated" the guy's vehicle. :tongue:

Fran

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this story, I know why you continue to wear "those" shirts. They're a disguise!! That couple of still looking for you.

Just a suggestion.... Better get yourself a couple of new shirts.

I should be OK.... I'm about 25 pounds heavier and have less hair than those days...LOL

Fran

Heh... that was also the night when Dave Whelan played the "Parking Lot Attendant" game.....he was good at it, too.

He did it another time, either that summer or in 1982, at the country-club exhibition we did for Nelson Doubleday those two years. I think that was the day when some drunken rich guy came out and could not remember where he parked his car on the golf course....LOL..... this was, of course, after Dave had "relocated" the guy's vehicle. :tongue:

Fran

I think that 4th of July exhibition for Doubleday at his country club was 1982...

Lenny's "instructions" to the Corps after our exhibition: "We can stay and enjoy the fireworks, just don't go up that hill (pointing to the club house) and into the country club. The food and drinks are for the club members"

Besides Dave becoming the "Parking Attendant" that night I doubt there were any of us that didn't enjoy the country club amenities, great food and adult beverages that day.... Fire works were landing down at the bottom of the hill, all around where we were "supposed" to be...

I still have one the lawn chairs in my back yard.... :tongue:

I think that 4th of July exhibition for Doubleday at his country club was 1982...

Lenny's "instructions" to the Corps after our exhibition: "We can stay and enjoy the fireworks, just don't go up that hill (pointing to the club house) and into the country club. The food and drinks are for the club members"

Besides Dave becoming the "Parking Attendant" that night I doubt there were any of us that didn't enjoy the country club amenities, great food and adult beverages that day.... Fire works were landing down at the bottom of the hill, all around where we were "supposed" to be...

I still have one the lawn chairs in my back yard.... :omg:

OK......now I remember the mansion.....it was the Doubleday Country Club. And yes.....that backyard where we played has been filmed many times!! And yes.......the amenities we enjoyed after the exhibition were nothing but spectacular. And I also remember Dave playing "Parking Lot Attendant" as well. He was a funny guy!!! LOL

Another Dave Whalen Story.....1982....

We were at a parade, and we did the normal reviewing stand exhibition. We played "Legend of the One Eyed Sailor". I was standing in the back line (Dave was in the front line, and I was standing directly behind him....playing 4th soprano!!). We got to the end of the song.....the real 'in your face' section, and I start playing REAL loud. We finish the song and Dave turns around to me and says, "HOLY S**T......WHO THE F**K ARE YOU?" I start laughing, and said, "did I do something wrong?" he says, "NO...but if your going to play that loud in the future, stand behind Vinnie!" LOL

The rest is history as they say!

Edited by FPonzo

"Don't play too loud" :omg: About the same year Westshoremen had a fund raiser at a Disco in Harrisburg at Strawberry Square. Anyone who goes to Serenade in Brass and uses the high rise Walnut Street garage parking lot walks right by it. I was out of the corps but went with a female friend who didn't know corps. Walk past drunks and pick up artists who were wondering out loud WTF kind of group was playing that night as there were a lot of drums. :omg:

Two of us walk inside and my friend sits right up front. I got a horrified look on my face and said "You DON'T want to sit there... trust me". Later found out a few drummers elbows were in peoples faces. :omg:

"Don't play too loud" :omg: About the same year Westshoremen had a fund raiser at a Disco in Harrisburg at Strawberry Square. Anyone who goes to Serenade in Brass and uses the high rise Walnut Street garage parking lot walks right by it. I was out of the corps but went with a female friend who didn't know corps. Walk past drunks and pick up artists who were wondering out loud WTF kind of group was playing that night as there were a lot of drums. :omg:

Two of us walk inside and my friend sits right up front. I got a horrified look on my face and said "You DON'T want to sit there... trust me". Later found out a few drummers elbows were in peoples faces. :omg:

GAWD! I remember that night! I remember standing with a frigging timpani on that lighted plastic disco dance floor and thinking..."I'm going to bust through"!

One of Larry's dumber moves to say the least!....

GAWD! I remember that night! I remember standing with a frigging timpani on that lighted plastic disco dance floor and thinking..."I'm going to bust through"!

One of Larry's dumber moves to say the least!....

Thought of you Ben when I typed as knew you were there. Yep, small room with either cinder block or concrete walls with some disco fabric crap covering it up. The sound didn't echo, it just hit the walls and filled the whole room. :omg:

Back OT: Before I got married my then girlfriend and I took a weeks bus trip to Wilwood with side trips to AC and other places (forget where). Mid 1980s and first night we're taken to a WW club few blocks from the hotel (forget the name). Place had a flippin' female impersonator revue and half the old ladies in the group didn't quite "get" it. :omg: Told my girlfriend I liked the last thing I did in WW better (my family went to the roller derby around 1972). :omg:

Tony, we also did one in 1981. There's a story from THAT day that I really can't share on this forum. :omg:

The 1982 Doubleday exhibition.... when we were done, we were all looking for some food and drinks. I wanted something other than the canned beer made available to us.... I wanted one of those expensive drinks they were serving the country-club set on the hill above us.

So someone from the corps.... I think it was Dania Cabrera.... told me "if you go up to those tents, just get in line and you get a (good) drink for free."

Sounds good, I thought.... so off I went and got in line with the rich folks. I got to the front of the line to order, and the guy serving drinks asked me which club I belonged to.

WTF????????????

Dania never told me I needed to give the guy the name of a club....I was about to be exposed as a fraud!!!!

But..... just then.... I overheard someone on another line tell another drinks-serving guy "I'm with such-and-such club." So I went with that...."Uhhhhh....I'm with (the same club)." IT WORKED!!!! I got my expensive drink!!!!! LOL

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Thought of you Ben when I typed as knew you were there. Yep, small room with either cinder block or concrete walls with some disco fabric crap covering it up. The sound didn't echo, it just hit the walls and filled the whole room. :omg:

Back OT: Before I got married my then girlfriend and I took a weeks bus trip to Wilwood with side trips to AC and other places (forget where). Mid 1980s and first night we're taken to a WW club few blocks from the hotel (forget the name). Place had a flippin' female impersonator revue and half the old ladies in the group didn't quite "get" it. :omg: Told my girlfriend I liked the last thing I did in WW better (my family went to the roller derby around 1972). :omg:

WW is a scary place! Most of the motels are getting torn down and CONDO's are going up! (million dollar condo's that is!) I like the Joisey shore as much as the next guy, but I'm not laying out that kind of cash for a place down there! My guess is you're talking about Holly Beach Station...THAT'S there the "clubs" are located! (I got some non drum corps related stories from WW..spent two summer vacations there with Ricky Lee and Rook!)(most are alcohol related...go figure!)

Tony, we also did one in 1981. There's a story from THAT day that I really can't share on this forum. :omg:

Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought we had performed for the 4th of July Doubleday Country Club celebration several years... (right story, wrong year? all a blur these days... LOL)

The 1982 Doubleday exhibition.... when we were done, we were all looking for some food and drinks. I wanted something other than the canned beer made available to us.... I wanted one of those expensive drinks they were serving the country-club set on the hill above us.

So someone from the corps.... I think it was Dania Cabrera.... told me "if you go up those tents, just get in line and you get a (good) drink for free."

Sounds good, I thought.... so off I went and got in line with the rich folks. I get to the front of the line to order, and the guy serving drinks asked me which club I belonged to.

WTF????????????

Dania never told me I needed to give the guy the name of a club....I was about to be exposed as a fraud!!!!

But..... just then.... I overheard someone on another line tell another drinks-serving guy "I'm with such-and-such club." So I went with that...."Uhhhhh....I'm with (the same club)." IT WORKED!!!! I got my expensive drink!!!!! LOL

Fran

:omg::omg: