Old Recordings - DCI

Didn't DCI used to have recordings of all of the competing drum corps for sale?

I remember seeing Drum Corp West for example in the old days.

I am thinking, of course of class A drum corps for example, or corps that did not make it to open class finals.

I'd like to get my hands on a few old recordings from the late '70's. Specifically the DCI Class A finals.

Also, I think I saw where someone in the DCI organizaiton was asking for some recordings of these old corps. But if they had such recordings at one time, what happened to them?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if you are referring to video or audio. I've been trying to get a hold of my Bluecoats 1986 semifinals multi-cam video for years (people on here are probably getting sick of me about this). Anywho, I've called DCI a couple of times about it and they said that over the years, through moves and just simply losing some things, they don't know what they have let alone where it is.

This was discussed on several threads over the years. The old audio recordings you're talking about were not DCI recordings, but Ken Kobold recordings. We used to order them from him directly. After Kobold died, he left all of his recordings to DCI. Several times since DCP came into existence, drum corps alumni and fans asked DCI if or when they will sell copies of these recordings and the word is they have no intention of releasing these recordings for sale.

You're welcomed to ask DCI again if you'd like.

This was discussed on several threads over the years. The old audio recordings you're talking about were not DCI recordings, but Ken Kobold recordings. We used to order them from him directly. After Kobold died, he left all of his recordings to DCI. Several times since DCP came into existence, drum corps alumni and fans asked DCI if or when they will sell copies of these recordings and the word is they have no intention of releasing these recordings for sale.

You're welcomed to ask DCI again if you'd like.

Thanks for the response; so sorry to bring it up again. I was certain it had been discussed, but did not see it on a search.

That is not correct (the part about DCI "having no intention of releasing these recordings").

There has been discussion within DCI about making historic recordings available via DCI.org, either as APDs or under the DCI Fan Network subscription service. Naturally, there are hurdles to overcome regarding licensing and logistics. My best advice at this point is to let DCI (specifically, Ric Oberlin at the DCI office) know that you are interested. The more people who are interested, the quicker DCI will translate plans into action.

That is not correct (the part about DCI "having no intention of releasing these recordings").

There has been discussion within DCI about making historic recordings available via DCI.org, either as APDs or under the DCI Fan Network subscription service. Naturally, there are hurdles to overcome regarding licensing and logistics. My best advice at this point is to let DCI (specifically, Ric Oberlin at the DCI office) know that you are interested. The more people who are interested, the quicker DCI will translate plans into action.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Actually, the more time you give DCI to release recordings = the more times DCI can say "we lost them".

Actually, several years ago I e-mailed DCI about this subject (wish I still had the e-mail). A representative of DCI replied and stated in no uncertain terms DCI had no intention to sell copies of the old Ken Lobold recordings. But this did happen several years ago and for all we know, DCI could be reconsidering this issue. Otherwise, audiodb has a good point about licensing. Because of the money involved, it would take some investment to get permission from those who own the rights to the original tunes to sell the recordings. If that can be done, releasing them as APDs is a great idea. Over the years, there were some great performances and audience response in contests other than DCI Finals, Prelims, etc. For example, I would love a recording of our 1982 DCM Run-off performance.

Now that DCI has had commercial success with the APDs, this is an opportunity whose time has come.

I inquired about two weeks ago, about the Legacy CD Collection 1972-1977. The lady I spoke with said there were none in stock, and there were no plans to offer them in the future. When I asked why, she said, "No one wants those old recordings." I just hung my head, and hung up the phone. :tongue:

I inquired about two weeks ago, about the Legacy CD Collection 1972-1977. The lady I spoke with said there were none in stock, and there were no plans to offer them in the future. When I asked why, she said, "No one wants those old recordings." I just hung my head, and hung up the phone. :tongue:

Well, obviously at least one person does, as proven by your inquiry. Amazing, the things people say sometimes....