Some like it hot.

Cant wait! :tongue:

I get to skip winter * dances *

I'm flying over from Australia for the summer to volunteer for the season with a friends corps so I get pretty much a full 12 months of summer this year!! (Seeing as here we have 9 months of summer, 3 months of 'I want to be a winter when I grow up') I cant wait!.. I love it... It’s the cold I can’t stand!

Yeah, because Australia winters are soooo cold. :tongue: (I tease, I went there last June for a few weeks and the "winter" temperatures were quite nice.)

I think the two times that stick out to me are:

Somewhere in Alabama, 2005. We were up at 8 to rehearse, and before we even started our stretch block, we were already dripping in sweat. It was so humid. Thankfully the trumpet tech let us have our sectional in the gym. This was a few days prior to going to Lousiana, but LA wasn't so bad. After our run-through, we got to go swim in the Gulf for a bit. (Sadly, this was pre-Katrina, and the housing location we stayed at got hit pretty harshly)

During an extended stay in Memphis in 2005, we had a laundry break in the morning. In the van that they took us out in, the radio said the temp was well over 100, and they advised no one to be outside... our bass tech turns around and looks at us and says, "And what are we dumb***es doing? Rehearsing on PAVEMENT!" We couldn't use the football field at the school at which we stayed. Man, did having to do push-ups on that day suck. :smile:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kansas show in 2006 - I think Topeka? Probably wrong... either way, it was the hottest it had been like 15 years or something ridiculous... 110-115 degrees with like 85% humidity = show starting late, I think it was Pioneer who had kids passing out left and right. The most uncomfortable and unbearable heat/humidity combination I have ever been in!

I'm only a bando so far, so my hottest days are always band camp. 2 weeks spending 5 hours a day outside in SW Louisiana in the middle of August. Wearing a drum, as well.

Kansas show in 2006 - I think Topeka? Probably wrong... either way, it was the hottest it had been like 15 years or something ridiculous... 110-115 degrees with like 85% humidity = show starting late, I think it was Pioneer who had kids passing out left and right. The most uncomfortable and unbearable heat/humidity combination I have ever been in!

I can assure you it wasn't Topeka. I live there, and there hasn't been a contest here in the almost 30 years I have lived here. (unless you stayed here for a KC or Lawrence show)

In my time, B'ham in either 79 or 80, temp was 120+ on the turf at Legion Field. Kids were dropping like flies. This was before the lighter weight uniforms. I'm talking heavy stuff. That stadium has NO air moving in it. Also was misserable in East Alton, IL that same season. Stadium was a bowl, just off the Mississippi River. Humidity was horrid.

Every days at JSU on that artificial turf, doing pilates. :tongue: I think that turf gets up close to 120 degrees. Also I remember North Carolina being really freaking hot. If I remember right, we had to go inside around 1:30 to do horn arc indoors. And Phoenix was pretty warm.

I'm sure there are many great things about Jackson. We just didn't get to see any of them.

I always make Bart mad (someone I marched with who is from Jackson) when I bad-mouth Jackson on here. Sorry Bart! :tongue:

Yeah, I know Bart. I did Jackson Generals with him in 2006. Both played Mello. Great times.

Broken Arrow, OK. 2005. I was on staff so it was a little different. We stayed at South Intermediate High School. It was a cloudless, breezless day. We were in BA for 3 days and it was hell on earth every single day. As fast as you could drink water, it was leaving your body.

To compound our misery, there were HUGE fire ant piles everywhere. And I mean huge. Think biblical sized fire ant plies.

It was one of those times where you look at yourself in the mirror and say "Why am I doing this?"

Every days at JSU on that artificial turf, doing pilates. :tongue: I think that turf gets up close to 120 degrees. Also I remember North Carolina being really freaking hot. If I remember right, we had to go inside around 1:30 to do horn arc indoors. And Phoenix was pretty warm.

Move in weather was actually much better last year compared to '06. I've done three move-ins in humid, gross Alabama or Florida weather now. That's kind of sad.

For me, the worst was the '07 Preview Show at JSU. 4 pm step off on astroturf. What was it? 130 degrees? Yeah, I couldn't play much at all after the opener even after using my inhaler :-/

Lake HavaFreakinHeatStroke , AZ

God Made heaven

God Made hell

I dont wanna meet who made lake havasu

I know this is from my high school marching band days, but oh well.

My freshman year (2002) band camp got so hot that year. One day during the first week (of two), my friend's shoes were melting to the pavement in the morning-around 10:00 AM, if I recall correctly. I live in Floyds Knobs, IN, which is roughly 7 miles northwest of Louisville, KY. Later during lunch break, our visual guy cooking an egg in a frying pan on the pavement and ate it while the winds and drumline were practicing in the band room. Yeah, good times.