Some like it hot.

We've all heard horror stories about the heat in drum corps. "The heat! My God the heat!" to quote Elaine from Seinfeld.

What was your hottest day in drum corps?

Mine: well, two.

Port Huron, MI. 2002. You know those little heat waves that come off of the ground? Those were coming off of people's bodies that day. Plus it was July 1st which meant the traditional first of the month basics beating. 115 degs.

Rayne, LA. 2003. 105 degs. 100% humidity. There was a line of sweat like a faucet coming off of my elbow. I could've gone down a waterslide with no water.

And I don't care what anybody says, but Texas heat just isn't that big of a deal. No matter what anyone from Texas says. Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, and Nevada are wayyyyyyyy worse.

BTW, the hotter the better. I love the heat. Bring it on.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Louisiana, 2005. We rolled into the housing site at around noon, which means stretch and run was around 1, and marching around 2. During the middle of a 4 hour marching block, im pretty sure we had only had about 1 water break. At that point, I had actually stopped sweating. I almost didnt want to drink, because it was painful to break out in a sweat again. It was definitely the most humid thing i can remember, and close to the hottest.

And I don't care what anybody says, but Texas heat just isn't that big of a deal. No matter what anyone from Texas says. Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, and Nevada are wayyyyyyyy worse.

AMEN!

Jackson, Mississippi. Semi-finals day. People were dropping like flies.

Birmingham, AL, 2006. The scaffolding crew walked outside around 730 in the morning, and the field lining crew was walking back, completely drenched in sweat as if they had just finished a run through. That morning it was in the mid 90's just after sun-up. We had a thermometer to measure temps for tuning, and when chad pulled it out of the bag (which was black) it was over 130. It was also the day of our first competition, and the day when our field paint burned permanent lines into their expensive football field due to some weird grass allergy... fun day :)

Orlando in 2005, rehearsing all afternoon and a show that night. The local radio station claimed the temp was 106 and the heat index was around 115. That was major suckage. Secondary would be in the stadium at the old high school in Rockmart, Ga. Holy crap that place is like an oven.

I'd have to say any days in the deep south, or the desert!

South Carolina 2004: So hot and humid, we were in horn arc warming up before ensemble and it was like a faucet was pouring off of our elbows.

Monroe, LA 2006: we had two or three members pulled off the field, puking on the side of the astroturf. We could only rehearse for 15 minutes at a time with 5 minute breaks in between. In fact, I don't think we did a run through before the show.

Monroe, LA 2007: Not as bad as '06, but the grass was thick, so we were getting pretty exhausted by both the heat and the grass.

Tempe, AZ 2007: Had to stop rehearsing from noon until 5pm since it was 115 degrees at noon!

Just a little perspective:

Balad, 2003. We got temperature readings of 144 degrees on the pavement. (But thats okay, we were truck drivers)

Somehow 115 doesn't seem so hot now. :tongue:

BTW, Balad is about 50 miles north of Baghdad.