Interesting Comment from Hop

We are friends, Mike. That won't change.

Maybe you could answer this out loud, for the record...

Which would be better, a co-ed Cavaliers, or a folded Cavaliers?

To an alum of the corps, you might as well ask which would be better, a poke in the right eye with a sharp object or a poke in the left eye.

Seeing that there is no reason for either corps to change their membership to dramatically alter what they have always been, and seeing that neither is in immediate danger of folding, I don't understand the necessity of the question.

I have faith both organizations will be with us for a long, long time. After the Orlando seminar, I stayed in the same house with Scouts' director and two others from the organization who had been in Orlando. We were at the house of a mutual friend and strong drum corps supporter. Based on what I heard from them and what I know of The Cavaliers as an alum, both are moving forward with feet firmly planted in the past and the future. I was extremely pleased to hear how Scouts have come through their difficulties of the recent past and I can't wait to see them on the field.

Wish you'd warn me before you trigger a flashback like this one... :omg:

1972 Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots - all male and almost all over 21 (exceptions were "invitees")

1973 no corps

1974 Westshoremen - male/female and lot of minors (including 16 year old moi) as was only way to field a corps.

Lot of the older "Senior" corps opened up the ranks to females and minors to either stay competative or just plain ####### SURVIVE. Even the mainstays in Hawthorne and NYC.

There are 'traditions' then there is what is best for the group. Just like adding dem dar' extra doo-hickies on the horns to get ALL the notes. :omg:

Sorry about that Jim. :omg: But from the context of diversity, and what's been said in this thread thus far, it deserves an answer.

To an alum of the corps, you might as well ask which would be better, a poke in the right eye with a sharp object or a poke in the left eye.

Seeing that there is no reason for either corps to change their membership to dramatically alter what they have always been, and seeing that neither is in immediate danger of folding, I don't understand the necessity of the question.

I have faith both organizations will be with us for a long, long time. After the Orlando seminar, I stayed in the same house with Scouts' director and two others from the organization who had been in Orlando. We were at the house of a mutual friend and strong drum corps supporter. Based on what I heard from them and what I know of The Cavaliers as an alum, both are moving forward with feet firmly planted in the past and the future. I was extremely pleased to hear how Scouts have come through their difficulties of the recent past and I can't wait to see them on the field.

The necessity is related to *this* thread. I don't see any reason either for it to happen. It's a hypothetical question.

If given no choice other than either a co-ed Cavaliers or folded Cavaliers, which would you prefer?

To someone that believes drum corps should be accoustic......

You're painting yourself into a logical corner here Michael.

To re-word what I just said to Michael, voting began as an all-male activity too. Was that change a good thing?

What a comparison... keeping women from marching an all-male drum corps and voting for (as an example) the leader of our nation. :omg:

Obviously, those on either side of this argument aren't going to have our minds changed. We might as well just agree to disagree.

To re-word what I just said to Michael, voting began as an all-male activity too. Was that change a good thing?

Of course allowing women to vote was a good thing. But the big difference is that women weren't allowed to vote ANYWHERE in the United States on a national level. Women ARE allowed to march in drum corps. Only two drum corps have a history of male membership. Until very recently, there have been corps that were all-female as well. (Hoping Bandettes come back soon.) Males were not allowed to join Bandettes. Where they discriminatory?

Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts...

What a comparison... keeping women from marching an all-male drum corps and voting for (as an example) the leader of our nation. :omg:

Both were exclusions based on gender. Seems like a reasonable question to me.

To someone that believes drum corps should be accoustic......

You're painting yourself into a logical corner here Michael.

Huh?

Apparently our concept of logic is not the same.

The world would be a better place if you just admitted my logic is better than your logic. :)

Both were exclusions based on gender. Seems like a reasonable question to me.

Michael took the words out of my mouth. I'll go with his response.

And I also agree with posted a little while ago. It's nice to see that we all are very passionate about this activity. :omg: