The ultimate drum corps practice facility

I definitely would want some grass fields. Easier to spray dots, and you need to get used to marching on it, since you'll spend most of your summer on grass.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would personally have one ensemble field that wasn't covered. (no false sense of sound for the horns) It would be field turf.

A pair of spare fields each with dedicated towers for drill writers/staff. Grass for those.

An indoor space with room for three basketball courts, and high ceiling for the guard. It would be used as the main sleeping area. A shower facility that doesn't suck. A good shower goes such a long way in this activity.

Office facility for staff, BoD, etc.. With a bingo hall attached. Staff could use this building for sleeping as well. Kitchen facility attached with covered eating area. A horn closet, drum closet, etc... for off season storage.

Garage for trucks.

I didn't think about that... OK, the main field with the bleachers, or stadium, will be turf. But we'll have a few grass fields.

Yeah....whats spring training without at least one crappy field with potholes and 6 inch grass. We're not trying to make a corps full of pansies here... :tongue:

Practicing on turf for a long time is a bad idea. It makes those bad show fields even worse. On the flip side, practicing on a bumpy field makes marching on turf or really nice fields seem like the easiest thing in the world. So I'd make sure all of the field were kind of uneven, but not bad enough that it'd cause knee/ankle injuries.

Also, I think fully-controllable temperature would be nice. God knows rehearsing in A/C would absolutely kill a corps' endurance (although with Finals indoors now, that doesn't really matter anymore.... which is a shame, because hot Finals location tended to reward corps that conditioned better or learned how to fight through long, loud phrases in really challenging weather... which is one of the great parts of drum corps... hell, I know I wouldn't have won a ring in '05 if Finals was indoors - part of the reason we won was because we were one of the few corps still making recognizable sounds by the end of our show) /rant. I think a turf field with no roof would be ideal for ensemble- learning to march in the rain is, again, one of those learning processes, and being on turf the field wouldn't get damaged if you marched on it wet.

So yeah - here's my ideal field:

Turf for the ensemble field

Bumpy grass for the rehearsal fields (three of them, 0 to 0, with press boxes on all of them)

Open air

Clean, plentiful bathrooms close by

Water faucets every ten yards at the front and back of the fields

A shaded area for rehearsal breaks

Track for... tracking.

A swimming pool and weight room for physical conditioning.

Nice cold showers (hot showers are overrated).

What part of NJ is that you're taking the picture from?

You mean "What exit?", right? :tongue:

You know... identifying where someone lives by the exit they are off of is a VERY logical and convenient way to do so. :tongue:

I KNOW my other Jersey constituents here will back me up on this.

Talk about a random thing to get upset about...

Yes, I agree.