Lip Trills

Kroxxx567

The quick and easy way is to shake the horn - or if the horn is too bulky, shake your head. In this respect, it's a Vibrato Gone Wild.

..uh?

Anyway, most of the previous posts are good attempts to start perfected that skill. if you know about pitch bending, think of some of the same concepts. you can start by doing the minor 3rds and so on, but the goal is to play a note and lip trill a whole step, and the lip bend concepts worked wonders in my understand.

I would go through technical stuff, but it's different on french horn, so i don't want to steer you wrong.

However i would believe the general view would be to NOT have any movement with the mouth outside of hte mouthpiece, it'll only make it harder.

Edited by ToferVis

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly what I did J.....only as a trumpet player I used the pitches A (above the staff) to C#. For some (very strange)reason, I found these 2 notes to be closest to each other, and easier to slur, thus making it easier for me to perfect my lip trills.

(And before I hear any wise cracks from you........yes....I did this while lying in my lounge chair!!!) LOL

Fine. :omg:

was the cooler next to the chair full?

I figured out two ways to do lips trills. The first was with the lips (when I was in much better shape). The second is with the tongue. I used to do shakes by doing a lip trill (tongue being easiest) and rock the horn back and forth quick, but easy.

I always figured most people started like myself--I went for the high C to D--just a whole step.

Edited by ravedodger

Fine. :thumbup:

was the cooler next to the chair full?

Now what do YOU think??? LOL :tongue::beer:

Don't know if anyone else does this, but it works really well for me. I use my jaw.

A very slight movement of my jaw causes the note to "crack" and then return to the original pitch.

For me, this produces a trill which I can control the speed and pitch very easily, from a slow start to a very fast trill. In this way, I can also trill quite easily from the lowest note to the highest note.

Lip trilling from note to note for 3 octaves always gets the same reaction from people - "show off."

Moving the horn to get a trill, is more commonly called a shake and can be an effective embellishment in some jazz and show music. If not done right - it' just ugly.

Hi Joe!

81 BD I bet.Nice. :withstupid:

The way I learned(dont know if there is a correct way or not),is by taking the basic lip slur(say a 3rd ,Bb to D,or C to E for us old timers)and playing it first as 1/4 notes,then 1/8 notes,then 1/16.....etc.You have to arch your tongue and use a touch more air while doing that.Say daah-ee-aah-ee-aah-ee-aah-ee.Be sure to note what your tongue does when you say that.Do that while playing the slurs,and keep getting faster,making sure that each note is played evenly.For example,play concert Bb(dah enunciation),hold the note,then slur up to D(eee enunciation).There is minimal lip movement.There may(probably)be alot of lip movement at 1st,but it should diminish as those muscles build.Hope that helps.

To add to Jerome's excellent description - as you practice this, you will start to feel that "break" point between each partial - the more you practice, the more familar you will get with that break point and the closer you will land on it for your slurs. Once you figure that out, you will be doing a little movement as possible with the chops to execute the slur and you will be able to increase ther speed of the slurs.

I did it the same way Jerome did. Took a few months of doing it every day.

Then you took a breath. :withstupid:

What Sara said about that "break point" is correct as well.You will learn to "feel" for it.