Olds Valve/Rotor Bugles

bersurkman

Just as an aside; I've played a lot of bugles, mostly sopranos, and in my opinion, the OLDS Ultratone P/R bugles absolutely nailed it.

I know, the P/R set up limits some playability, but for a bugle set up, it was such fun to play. :worthy:

Yeah. Durable, good sound, easy to play. And the best part is it doesn't look like a trumpet with two valves. :tic:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, the P/R set up limits some playability, but for a bugle set up, it was such fun to play. :worthy:

IMO, the genius of the chart writers and the ability of the players to work around the limitations of the P/R is what made the end results so much more amazing and appealing - back then, of course.

I take pride in that I learned contra on a V/R Olds. Coming from a Marching band with New Yamaha Sousaphones, and a NEW rotary Valve YBB-641 Concert tuba it was like using museum pieces. I still love playing with just a valve & a rotor.

IMO, the genius of the chart writers and the ability of the players to work around the limitations of the P/R is what made the end results so much more amazing and appealing - back then, of course.

John, while the days of the G-F classics were amazing, the days of the G-D relics was even more so.

Slip-slides helped a little, but the only way to have full chromatic flexibility REQUIRED lead sopranos to play high, french horns in the arrangement, and (until contras came along) three different piston-rotor combinations in the lower baritones. Since most corps didn't have the $$ or bodies to go nuts, an arranger had to pay significant attention to key selection. There were masters of the art who could make unbelievable sounds come out of those hornlines. I played charts in C, G, F, D, Bb and Eb (as well as the relative minors) in a G-D line. I'd love to see what some of today' arrangers are doing with key selection - especially with Bb horns.

• 2 weeks later...
I take pride in that I learned contra on a V/R Olds. Coming from a Marching band with New Yamaha Sousaphones, and a NEW rotary Valve YBB-641 Concert tuba it was like using museum pieces. I still love playing with just a valve & a rotor.

I just started playing an Olds PR contra with Freelancers Alumni Horn Line. It was so nice to come back to the Olds. Just as much fun to play as it was 30....(GASP!!! Did I just say 30???) years ago.

Thanks for the info from everyone. I guess I'll just call the horn an alto/flugel as a compromise.

Does anyone know about when these were made? Is there any way to contact someone who may be able to look up it's heritage through it's serial number?

Thanks again!

:ph34r:

I recently investigated the production date of my Olds Bb baritone by sending an e-mail through the F.E.Olds website..www.feolds.com They are now aligned with Reynolds, but I know they got back to me and advised my bari was made sometime between August of '59 and March of '60.

I would suspect they would keep similar records for the bugles, especially the Duratones, since they weren't as prevalent as the Ultratones. IIRC, Spirit of '76 had some Duratones in the early 80's, I remember being stunned at the matte finish when Paul Chaffee showed me one of them 'back in the day'. I thought they played really great, but of course some of us were still playing on old Getzen Titleists (Yuck!) :tongue:

Pat

John, while the days of the G-F classics were amazing, the days of the G-D relics was even more so.

Slip-slides helped a little, but the only way to have full chromatic flexibility REQUIRED lead sopranos to play high, french horns in the arrangement, and (until contras came along) three different piston-rotor combinations in the lower baritones. Since most corps didn't have the $$ or bodies to go nuts, an arranger had to pay significant attention to key selection. There were masters of the art who could make unbelievable sounds come out of those hornlines. I played charts in C, G, F, D, Bb and Eb (as well as the relative minors) in a G-D line. I'd love to see what some of today' arrangers are doing with key selection - especially with Bb horns.

Coming from somebody who had a 40 year hiaetis, when I picked up Ludwig slip-slide soprano and played the tunes of my youth I was utterly amazed at the higher registered that we played on a routine basis. I love playing my Ludwig on a regular basis. :rolleyes:

:worthy:

I recently investigated the production date of my Olds Bb baritone by sending an e-mail through the F.E.Olds website..www.feolds.com They are now aligned with Reynolds, but I know they got back to me and advised my bari was made sometime between August of '59 and March of '60.

I would suspect they would keep similar records for the bugles, especially the Duratones, since they weren't as prevalent as the Ultratones. IIRC, Spirit of '76 had some Duratones in the early 80's, I remember being stunned at the matte finish when Paul Chaffee showed me one of them 'back in the day'. I thought they played really great, but of course some of us were still playing on old Getzen Titleists (Yuck!) :thumbup:

Pat

Getzen Titleists. Wow, I remember when we were going to splurge for new sops for our first sopranos, of which I was one, back in 1968. We tried the Titleist and the regular Getzen and the Power Bore. We all agreed the regular Getzen bugle was best and we were happy to have them. Brass finish with the slide and tuning adjuster.

Few years later, we got F.E.OLDS Ultratone bugles. What a step up that was!!!