Olds Valve/Rotor Bugles

bersurkman

We tried the Titleist and the regular Getzen and the Power Bore. We all agreed the regular Getzen bugle was best and we were happy to have them.

Getzen. Elkhorn. Power Bore. Titleist. Guess what?

They were all the same components. The only difference was the name stamped on 'em. And the pricetag.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getzen. Elkhorn. Power Bore. Titleist. Guess what?

They were all the same components. The only difference was the name stamped on 'em. And the pricetag.

I believe you, but when we tried them out, there was a playing difference between the horns we tried.

When my Bach Strad. *37 was destroyed I thought I could just get a new one and be happy. I tried a whole bunch of Bach *37 and plain 37. Even other models, but couldn't find one I liked as much.

I have an old Bach Mercedes made in 1945. Talked to a guy that worked for Bach then. It's a Strad. The Mercedes name came about just to get a military contract without lessening the Stradivarius name.

I remember the mouthpiece reciever being a little different on the old Getzens. All were like hexagon shaped, but a little different. Doesn't surprise me if they were all the same, though. I was 15 years old at the time - what the heck did I know.

Here are pictures of the horn. I am 99% sure that it is an alto, as my wife played one in her younger days.

If anyone can offer any more info I would be grateful.

100_0024.jpg100_0023.jpg100_0022.jpg100_0038.jpg

That sure looks like a flugelhorn to me. Catch a picture somewhere of the one Frank Ponzo is playing solos with, with the Caballeros Alumni Corps these days. Sure looks similar, except for the valves & rotory differences :thumbup:

Maybe it's the lighting but the finish on this Duratone looks brighter than the horns Westshoremen bought in the mid 1970s. Just can't picture our horns reflecting light that much. Also Westshoremen did not have Flugels that I know of, unless it was bought 1980 or later..

I just started playing an Olds PR contra with Freelancers Alumni Horn Line. It was so nice to come back to the Olds. Just as much fun to play as it was 30....(GASP!!! Did I just say 30???) years ago.

Yeah, funny how that age stuff creeps up on ya. If I'm ever out in Freelancer land at the right time, I'm gonna stop in at a rehearsal.

Ohh, we had rings baby!

On the first sops, everyone else had sticks.

Anyone remember ignoring the slide ring on the frenchies and bari's? Until they moved the ring inside loop, you'd pull on that thing and the slide would jam more often than not. Our guys used to just grab the bow and move the slide from there.

I believe you, but when we tried them out, there was a playing difference between the horns we tried.

When my Bach Strad. *37 was destroyed I thought I could just get a new one and be happy. I tried a whole bunch of Bach *37 and plain 37. Even other models, but couldn't find one I liked as much.

I have an old Bach Mercedes made in 1945. Talked to a guy that worked for Bach then. It's a Strad. The Mercedes name came about just to get a military contract without lessening the Stradivarius name.

I remember the mouthpiece reciever being a little different on the old Getzens. All were like hexagon shaped, but a little different. Doesn't surprise me if they were all the same, though. I was 15 years old at the time - what the heck did I know.

The early Getzen receivers had a setscrew to lock-in the mouthpiece. In the hands of mostly kids back then, those setscrews got lost pretty quickly. Eventually Getzen changed the design to get rid of it. The receivers were built like brick outhouses, but the leadpipes were not. I don't know how many leadpipes got damaged when someone tried to twist out a stuck mouthpiece. CRUNCH!

That sure looks like a flugelhorn to me. Catch a picture somewhere of the one Frank Ponzo is playing solos with, with the Caballeros Alumni Corps these days. Sure looks similar, except for the valves & rotory differences :thumbup:

I'm thinking alto. Flugels had bigger bells, IIRC.

Getzen Titleists. Wow, I remember when we were going to splurge for new sops for our first sopranos, of which I was one, back in 1968. We tried the Titleist and the regular Getzen and the Power Bore. We all agreed the regular Getzen bugle was best and we were happy to have them. Brass finish with the slide and tuning adjuster.

Few years later, we got F.E.OLDS Ultratone bugles. What a step up that was!!!

edit Edited by MuddySpikes

That sure looks like a flugelhorn to me. Catch a picture somewhere of the one Frank Ponzo is playing solos with, with the Caballeros Alumni Corps these days. Sure looks similar, except for the valves & rotory differences :tongue:

The flugel bugle, just like a regular flugel has the leadpipe about in the middle of the horn. I have a flugel bugle that I purchased on e-bay and had the local music store recondition. I will post a picture of it as soon as I am able and you will definately see the difference in the horns. I am 99% sure that the horn in the picture is an alto. I march with the Light Brigade and we have 4 players that use them as a 2nd mellophone part or to double the lower sopranos.

Edited by MBbabe