Olds Valve/Rotor Bugles

bersurkman

Thanks for the info from everyone. I guess I'll just call the horn an alto/flugel as a compromise.

Does anyone know about when these were made? Is there any way to contact someone who may be able to look up it's heritage through it's serial number?

Thanks again!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone told me that and think it might have been Jeff Mitchell, horn guru. Also think the horns had a cheaper price tag which would make sense as my corps had Olds Duratone Baris and Contras and we were pretty broke when the corps bought them (early '74). Only corps I know who had them: Westshoremen (Sr), Rochester Phoenix (Sr) and a junior corps (maybe Derry Patriots).

Would love to see the pics as not sure what an Alto P/R horn is. We had a mix of P/R French Horns and Mellophones in Westshore and can't remember (#### 30 yr old memories) what finish they had.

Edit: Memory kicked in. It was Jeff Mitchell but he was talking about a late 1930s Conn horn I bought that has the satin finish. Guess the sandblast for bad finishes still applied in the 70s.

OK just saw Central Bucks in your sig and know where that is (my sister went to Delaware Valley). Wondering if you bought it locally and might be an old Westshoremen horn.

Missed this Jim - Derry did purchase a full line of Duratones and used them up to their demise in the late 70s. up till a few years ago the corps' equipment was owned and stored by 'Doc' Koval, one of our biggest supporters and bus driver. I believe the horns came out of storage two years ago when some of the Patriots alumni marched a parade in Latrobe. Not sure if the equipment is still there, or maybe I heard that it has been sold to a Shriners D&BC. Gregg Sweney frequents DCP and would know for sure.

I remember taking the plastic off of my duratone soprano - there was nothing 'bad' about the finish at all.

Thanks for the info from everyone. I guess I'll just call the horn an alto/flugel as a compromise.

Does anyone know about when these were made? Is there any way to contact someone who may be able to look up it's heritage through it's serial number?

Thanks again!

I'd contact Zig, if he was involved, he'd probably be able to give you some more info. I think I remember someone maybe saying he designed it.

Missed this Jim - Derry did purchase a full line of Duratones and used them up to their demise in the late 70s. up till a few years ago the corps' equipment was owned and stored by 'Doc' Koval, one of our biggest supporters and bus driver. I believe the horns came out of storage two years ago when some of the Patriots alumni marched a parade in Latrobe. Not sure if the equipment is still there, or maybe I heard that it has been sold to a Shriners D&BC. Gregg Sweney frequents DCP and would know for sure.

I remember taking the plastic off of my duratone soprano - there was nothing 'bad' about the finish at all.

Thanks, you must have been the one who told me about this....

Can't remember if I ever checked on the Olds serial numbers, know I checked my Conn Bari and no dice. Still have the "owners card" from my P/R Duratone from 1974 with the serial number.

I've always wanted a V/R Ultratone Bari but never found the right one for the right (on a marching members teachers salary) price to justify the purchase.

The company email is sales@kanstul.com. You could get creative to see if you can get his direct email by typing in Zigmant or Ziggy or Zig or ZJkanstul@kanstul.com.

In anycase, I would send an email to the company, ask them to forward it to Ziggy and I'm sure if he has the time, he'll help you out.

i'm pretty sure Zig does not have an email address but if you send an email to sales@kanstul.com or to their sales manager Charles Hargett - charles@kanstul.com then they will forward it to Zig

:whip: