Best Guard Uniform in History?

I got a chance at the Cavaliers' February camp to tag along with Don Warren and get a sneak peek at the corps' color guard costumes for the 2008 Samurai Show. In the interest of discretion, I'll save the big "reveal" for the summer, but suffice to say, the design was a stunner. Should be one part of a great show. And it got me thinking...

So this week on the Building the Green Machine blog, we get into color guard uniforms throughout history. What have been the most memorable? The most forgettable?

Discussion on the book site is not limited to Cavaliers chat -- weigh in with your opinions about their color guards through the decades, sure, but expand the discussion:

What uniforms throughout drum corps have taken the activity in a new direction?

What uniforms as a performer were the easiest to move in?

What unis most matched/added to the performance?

What uniforms might have been better left on the truck?

What role does a color guard's look play in the overall presentation of the show?

Stop by, say hi, leave your comment: www.cavaliersbook.com/interact

Edited by ColtFoutz

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the guard unis that I liked last year:

07 Bluecoats

07 Crossmen

07 Glassmen

OK... I'm with you so far... why? What did you like about them?

*What uniforms throughout drum corps have taken the activity in a new direction?

Blue Devils 1981. if you were a drum corps fan 1950-1980 it was all the same, until, 1981 BD. They shocked the drum corps world, and the world was ready. WOW!

*What uniforms as a performer were the easiest to move in?

Form fitting ie: Cadets Stonehenge

*What unis most matched/added to the performance?

1987 Garfield Cadets, the long dresses were a perfect accompaniment to the music selection. Martha Graham would have approved.

1987 Phantom Regiment's Snowflakes..... and the Corps proper in all white.

*What uniforms might have been better left on the truck?

Colts 07, every color and every costume collectively was a train wreck.

*What role does a color guard's look play in the overall presentation of the show?

Phantom 1996, Bluedevils 1988, Madison Scouts 1999 all good examples of less is more. These added a sense of confidence without being flat out costumes.

Speaking of flat out costumes, some great ones were Crown 07: Horses, Madison 97: Pirates, Cavies 05: Robots, Cadets 93: Medieval!

To stay ahead of the curve, one only needs to view the current modern dance companies of the world.

Edited by Cop

To stay ahead of the curve, one only needs to view the current modern dance companies of the world.

Thanks for posting this link. I know your point was for the uniforms, but what a lovely choreographed modern dance. Very nice!

What uniforms throughout drum corps have taken the activity in a new direction?

What uniforms as a performer were the easiest to move in?

What unis most matched/added to the performance?

What uniforms might have been better left on the truck?

What role does a color guard's look play in the overall presentation of the show?

For adding to performance and overall presentation of the show, I'd have to go with guard uniforms like Phantom 96 and BD 96. The Cadets 93 guard unis were pretty nifty, too. I have no idea how easy any of those were to move in.

For left on the truck, I'd say BD 93, lots of Magic ones.

Not answering all the specific suggestions, here are my picks.

Favorite Guard uni representing the WHOLE corps...

Troopers '60s/'70s

What unis most matched/added to the performance?...

I absolutely love SCV '87. It was feminine, totally light and airy yet it still matched the rest of the Corps while emphasizing the ballet moves the music demanded. I envy my sisters who got to wear it. Also, '88 SCV "Phantom of the Opera". It created a totally perfect "Christine" on the field. And what the heck, '93 SCV "Miss Saigon". A costume that never would have been noticed without the intence and beautiful equipment work the guard presented to us that year. Honorable mention...'89 Cadets "Les Miserables", another perfect uni/costume. What? They're all different from each other? Who would have thunk?

Well, now that the role of a "Color Guard" is to entertain more so than just "set up" the hornline and drumline, it needs to represent whatever the musical ensemble is presenting to the audience. It needs to be a feast to the eyes without being too overpowering and distractive. I wish some would take the time to really "see" what they have created in their heads before they spend tons of money to put it on the field.

Oh, and my favorite from last year...

Carolina Crown by a nose!

Guard unis best left in the truck: 2002 Scouts - bumble bee look, or whatever that was

My fave - 27th lancers rifles

Guard unis best left in the truck: 2002 Scouts - bumble bee look, or whatever that was

My fave - 27th lancers rifles

Classic Guard Uniforms:

27th lancers FLAG line 1980

Vanguard 1980 on back

Madison 1981 on back

Cavies 1985 all black with sash

BlueStars, Cross "X" and short and boots!

Troopers 1980 and back

Phantom 83 was still a tight uniform

Edited by Cop