DCA is "filling a void" left by DCI's Super Corps Model

THE FOLLOWING IS THE NEW WAY THE OP WANTED TO START THIS DISCUSSION.

Writer's note: my OP regarding the expansion of DCA as an unintended consequence of DCI's emphasis on summer-long touring garnered several replies. I am glad to get the community talking.

Unfortunately, comparisons of corps' on-field production value as a sole means of evaluating the individual corps' contribution to the activity, misses the point.

However, if results rule (and, certainly, they have to be a part of the discussion), there are several DCA corps that make the case for quality (even when measured against the Super Corps).

To wit:

In order to gauge the level of current brass achievement in DCA, please sample the Bushwackers 2006, Buccaneers 2007 or Renegades 2007 (the closer) hornlines on DVD (if it's available) or YouTube (if you can find it).

If the criteria is ensemble blend, dedication to dynamic integrity, pacing, balance, attack / release technique and quality of sound, these ensembles rate the highest consideration when it comes to your musical enjoyment and critical analyses.

Visually, and I understand the criteria, the Buccaneers 2007 program holds up beautifully in any drum corps discussion terms of breadth, staging, transition demand, performance, individual technique and effect. The Bushwackers 2007 visual program, especially individual technique, color guard performance and ensemble staging, does the same.

Percussion in DCA, especially from a battery achievement point-of-view, is well-positioned to hold up to any level of adjudication with Bucs, Cabs and Empire being the best examples.

Clean beats and effective ensemble contribution are the measuring stick and these units pass the test.

Put simply, an impressive ensemble is an impressive ensemble, regardless the uniform. And it is proof positive that a superior musical and visual product can still be produced, and sincerely appreciated, within the framework of a weekend corps model. And this was the point of my OP.

Mind you, I am not promoting or attempting to validate a "DCA" model over the current DCI model. I am describing a "weekend" or "limited tour" model with a meaningful and viable championships format that can still produce excellent drum corps yet doesn't tax the organization to the point of folding the tent.

Theory: It is no longer possible in the DCI system for a limited tour organization to give its membership a truly valuable competitive experience because there are no truly viable alternatives within the DCI Super Corps model other than "getting on the bus."

Dismissing the limited tour corps with an "all or nothing" mentality and eliminating local circuits like DCM, ODCA, FAMQ, and DCE hasn't been a positive for DCI. It KILLED the mid-tier corps like Capital Regiment, Sky Ryders, Florida Wave, all of the corps in the Pacific Northwest (all of them!), nearly all of the East, all of Ontario, all of Quebec.

And the arrogance that accompanies this "all or nothing" mentality is palpable. There is an elitist and dismissive thread running as an undercurrent through the DCI community that is, at best, unfortunate, and, at its worst, nasty.

And the lip service given to DII is a joke. DII corps were marginalized by the emphasis on the touring model and switch from G-Bugles to B-flat instrumentation. As a result, the DII circuit has been relegated to second class. It's need as a training ground for drum-corps-specific training in marching and musicianship has been replaced by band programs. From a "drum corps experience" point of view, it can't even be considered as an option.

As a result, there are only 6 corps in DII! Six. It's almost hard to type that number. And they aren't even invited to compete any longer. That isn't a "circuit". DCI treats the limited touring corps as a nuisance and the results speak for themselves.

DCA is growing in size, stature, membership, organizational quality and production/entertainment value because they are filling the void left by the wake of DCI's decision making.

Look what DCA brings to the table:

1. full corps in Rochester, New Jersey, Harrisburg, Twin Cities, Connecticut,

2. nearly full corps in Syracuse, Atlanta and California,

3. 23 corps in Prelims, ALL of the LOCAL variety, from all regions of the USA

4. 18 mini-corps (including Star of Indiana whose ensemble quality can't really be argued with)

5. 8 alumni corps (including Bridgemen, Boston Crusaders)

6. consistently large crowds in Rochester, Bridgeport, Grand Prix, Kingston, Scranton, Syracuse, Buffalo that are often satisfied and repeat customers

6. a meaningful and SOLD OUT championship

How in the world did this happen? It could not have happened unless there was value inherent on all sides of the equation. DCI diminished the value of the mid-level, weekend participant. DCA embraced it and proved that good drum corps...often GREAT drum corps...can come from it.

Remember when: The weekend corps and local / regional model before "tour" used to be "the way it was" ?

Follow me here......................................

Summer used to look like this:

June 15 to July 10th Local circuit shows and Championships

DCE, DCM, ODCA, DCNY, DCW, E-Mass, GSC and whatever they called in in the Pacific Northwest

July 10 to July 24 Regional Championships and Festivals

Barnum Festival, World Open, American International, etc

July 24 to Aug 8th First Tour

DCI East, DATR, DCI Canada(!), DCI South

Late August

Option A: US Open in Marion, OH as a reasonable option to going to DCI

Option B: Second Tour in late August heading to DCI with nearly all DCI sanctioned shows.

In the 80's and 90's , this model, for all intents and purposes, allowed for different kinds of corps.

#1: weekend only corps that did local and regional shows and then headed to Butler or Marion against similar outfits.

This was pretty much the A Class model. Remember 40 corps at Prelims in Marion? I do.

#2 weekend corps that "came out" for First Tour after their regional championships were completed and "toured" right to DCI.

This is the mid-tier Open Class model. Think Avant Garde, Colts, Boston, Dutch Boy, Florida Wave, Freelancers, early-VK

#3 the "BIG" corps that did all the weekends in June, got on the bus and didn't get off til August 20th.

Thats SCV, Garfield, BD, Suncoast.

The sea change in drum corps may have come as the "big" corps tried to one-up each other from a competitive standpoint by doing more and more midweek shows, which then evolved into earlier and earlier shows (June 2nd...are you kidding me?) which then had the other corps chasing the carrot (but more often getting the stick). The earlier the busses rolled, the more rehearsal time, show opportunities, etc.

So it became "full schedule or die!"

DCI certainly promoted this model.

To wit: More DCI sanctioned shows, the absorption of the DCM and DCE, and the near requirement that corps do the full DCI Tour or be relegated to a second class status...including prize monies. And only the best of organizations could "survive" this burdensome model.

What we end up with is a slate of SUPER CORPS and very little else. The days of the local corps are long gone in DCI.

But the residual effect is a HUGE increase in the size and quality of corps in DCA.

This is the part I like. Where has the "depth" gone in DCI? The answer is DCA.

Is DCA's product really that good?

Make no mistake.

The 2007 Buccaneers, Caballeros, Statesmen and Minnesota Brass were sensational. The corps were all full or near-full, and the achievement in visual, brass and percussion compares VERY FAVORABLY to the mid-tier DCI Finalists from, say, 1995. Guess what? That's good drum corps!

Colorguard achievement is improving as well and the depth of the DCA package (corps 5-10 PLUS 18 'mini-corps' including Star of Indiana) makes it a great entertainment experience and value.

I like the fact that DCA calls itself "all-age" because it attracts not only the "over 22 types", but the students who can commit to a corps schedule AND a work schedule, not go broke on fees and dues and still produce excellent drum corps . :tongue:

(kinda the way it used to be).

Edited by Lance
new title for topic

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember when: The weekend corps and local / regional model before "tour" used to be "the way it was" ?

Follow me here......................................

Summer used to look like this:

June 15 to July 10th Local circuit shows and Championships

DCE, DCM, ODCA, DCNY, DCW, E-Mass, GSC and whatever they called in in the Pacific Northwest

July 10 to July 24 Regional Championships and Festivals

Barnum Festival, World Open, American International, etc

July 24 to Aug 8th First Tour

DCI East, DATR, DCI Canada(!), DCI South

Late August

Option A: US Open in Marion, OH as a reasonable option to going to DCI

Option B: Second Tour in late August heading to DCI with nearly all DCI sanctioned shows.

In the 80's and 90's , this model, for all intents and purposes, allowed for different kinds of corps.

#1: weekend only corps that did local and regional shows and then headed to Butler or Marion against similar outfits.

This was pretty much the A Class model. Remember 40 corps at Prelims in Marion? I do.

#2 weekend corps that "came out" for First Tour after their regional championships were completed and "toured" right to DCI.

This is the mid-tier Open Class model. Think Avant Garde, Colts, Boston, Dutch Boy, Florida Wave, Freelancers, early-VK

#3 the "BIG" corps that did all the weekends in June, got on the bus and didn't get off til August 20th.

Thats SCV, Garfield, BD, Suncoast.

The sea change in drum corps may have come as the "big" corps tried to one-up each other from a competitive standpoint by doing more and more midweek shows, which then evolved into earlier and earlier shows (June 2nd...are you kidding me?) which then had the other corps chasing the carrot (but more often getting the stick). The earlier the busses rolled, the more rehearsal time, show opportunities, etc.

So it became "full schedule or die!"

DCI certainly promoted this model.

To wit: More DCI sanctioned shows, the absorption of the DCM and DCE, and the near requirement that corps do the full DCI Tour or be relegated to a second class status...including prize monies. And only the best of organizations could "survive" this burdensome model.

What we end up with is a slate of SUPER CORPS and very little else. The days of the local corps are long gone in DCI.

But the residual effect is a HUGE increase in the size and quality of corps in DCA.

This is the part I like. Where has the "depth" gone in DCI? The answer is DCA.

Is DCA's product really that good?

Make no mistake.

The 2007 Buccaneers, Caballeros, Statesmen and Minnesota Brass were sensational. The corps were all full or near-full, and the achievement in visual, brass and percussion compares VERY FAVORABLY to the mid-tier DCI Finalists from, say, 1995. Guess what? That's good drum corps!

Colorguard achievement is improving as well and the depth of the DCA package (corps 5-10 PLUS 18 'mini-corps' including Star of Indiana) makes it a great entertainment experience and value.

I like the fact that DCA calls itself "all-age" because it attracts not only the "over 22 types", but the students who can commit to a corps schedule AND a work schedule, not go broke on fees and dues and still produce excellent drum corps . :tongue:

(kinda the way it used to be).

I agree. You know what? Ever since I started with DCA corps. I forgot all about DCI

Edited by En929

"Option A: US Open in Marion, OH as a reasonable option to going to DCI "

LOL! I take it you've never been to the US Open at Marion, OH.

POC field, POC stands 20 rows high (if that), which made up for being way too small leg-room wise by having wooden bleachers which gave you splinters. Add terrible lighting, no parking, a small show in a podunk country town, no atmosphere or personality, and you've got the US OPEN!

Good corps, though, at least a couple.

Edited by wvu80

POC field, POC stands 20 rows high (if that), which made up for being way too small leg-room wise by having wooden bleachers which gave you splinters. Add terrible lighting, no parking, a small show in a podunk country town, no atmosphere or personality, and you've got the US OPEN!

Wait a minute! Wait a minute!

It's true! Marion and Butler were good competitive substitutes for the long trip to Denver, Birmingham or Atlanta.

And the prelims/finals format plus the "title" meant something back-in-the-day...or at least meant "enough" that the trip to DCI was optional.

Butler 84 for the "A" corps was a 20 corps prelims extravaganza, and making Finals there was a big deal.

Our director figured "Why go all the way to Atlanta?" And he was right on that decision. The corps competed well, made finals in Butler, went on to the US Open and ended a pretty satisfying season right there. We saved a ton of dough, and fielded a bigger and better corps the following year.

That is a point that can't be taken lightly.

There were a bunch of corps in our circuit that broke the bank to get to Atlanta.

The Eagles (good "big" corps)...folded.

LI Grenadiers (great corps)...folded.

NY Lancers (high drums in 84)...folded.

CMCC Warriors...folded.

General Butler Vagabonds...folded.

Cleveland Caballeros...folded.

Anaheim Kingsmen (last year for them)...folded.

Newmarket Ambassadors (huge corps)...folded.

Northmen, NY...folded the following year.

That's brutal. And for what? To go to Atlanta and get buried first by Florida Wave and then by a mountain of debt?

Regional corps. Big numbers. Chased the carrot. Got the stick.

BTW: Harding Stadium on US Open drive (that's how I remember it) was sooooo cool. Yes, it was too darn small. The wooden bleachers were the home side. The nice ALUMINUM bleachers were on the flip side. We did prelims in one direction; finals in the other.

Wierd? Yes! But it was still a happening! And the souvie area was top notch (I got my first Bridgemen shirt there!)

Edited by wishbonecav

I agree. You know what? Ever since I started with DCA corps. I forgot all about DCI

and you're here because...

edit: I'm a grammar moron :tongue:

~>conner

Edited by PhantomR

aw man.

~>conner

I thought Marion was a pretty cool show.

Used to be, anyway.