DCA is "filling a void" left by DCI's Super Corps Model

And school used to start after Labor Day, gas was a nickel, and we marched through snow uphill.

The elementary school down the street now has a fall, winter, and spring break of a week each. Most high schools start in mid August. And diesel is $4.

Frankly, thank goodness we've adapted.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I think DCA basically is the traditions of old DCI but still adapting to what the audience and corps wants/needs (switching from G bugles / updating marching style)

I'm in DCA and I know it's the place for me right now. I'll end up doing DCI, but they are very different and I think that's a good thing.

"Option A: US Open in Marion, OH as a reasonable option to going to DCI "

LOL! I take it you've never been to the US Open at Marion, OH.

POC field, POC stands 20 rows high (if that), which made up for being way too small leg-room wise by having wooden bleachers which gave you splinters. Add terrible lighting, no parking, a small show in a podunk country town, no atmosphere or personality, and you've got the US OPEN!

Good corps, though, at least a couple.

The US open is what got me interested in drum corps...Were they wooden bleachers? yes...was the lighting bad? yes...but..the stands were FULL. How many shows nowadays held at high schools have over 5,000 screaming fans...giving as much support to the Diplomats as they did Phantom Regiment.

Podunk country town? maybe...atmosphere? did you say you attended one of these shows? The atmosphere was what I miss in drum corps shows of today...only a couple good corps in attendance?

1978...this is just the PRELIMS...

1 Phantom Regiment 84.750

2 North Star 83.450

3 Guardsmen 81.600

4 27th Lancers 79.000

5 Greece Cadets 74.500

6 Royal Brigade 74.450

7 Garfield Cadets 74.150

8 Boston Crusaders 73.750

9 Kilties 73.650

10 Cavaliers 73.400

11 Squires 72.050

12 Oakland Crusaders 71.500

13 Long Island Kingsmen 69.850

14 Empire State Express 67.050

15 Vagabonds 66.150

16 Seneca Optimists 65.750

17 Northstars 61.750

18 Florida Vanguard 61.350

19 Precious Blood Cardinals 61.000

20 Emerald Knights 54.000

21 Imperial Regiment 52.800

22 PAL Cadets 49.450

23 Marion Cadets 43.750

24 Falcon Ridgemen 43.200

1976 prelims...

1 Oakland Crusaders 86.150

2 Phantom Regiment 85.200

3 Blue Stars 84.100

4 Royal Crusaders 79.050

5 Guardsmen 78.200

6 Freelancers 77.500

7 Squires 76.250

8 Anaheim Kingsmen 75.050

9 Argonauts 73.450

10 Marquis 72.250

11 General Butler Vagabonds 69.350

12 Marion Cadets 68.500

13 Saints 68.000

14 Grenadiers 67.050

15 Belvederes 66.750

16 Colt 45 65.400

17 Precisionnaires 64.750

18 Emerald Knights 63.400

19 Des Plaines Vanguard 61.800

20 Geneseo Knights 60.400

21 Knight Raiders 58.700

22 Royal Knights 55.060

23 OLPH Ridgemen 54.700

24 Velvet Knights 54.300

25 New York Lancers 53.850

26 Cadets of Greece 53.650

27 Blue Raeders 52.950

28 Kingston Indians 51.650

29 Sky Ryders 49.450

30 Patriots (WI) 48.150

31 Golden Knights 45.050

32 Vaqueros 41.300

clear up to 1982...prelims...

1 Phantom Regiment 88.650

2 Crossmen 83.050

3 27th Lancers 81.350

4 Freelancers 80.500

5 Sky Ryders 78.500

6 Spirit of Atlanta 74.800

7 North Star 70.200

8 Defenders 70.000

9 Alliance (MA) 68.600

10 Memphis Blues 65.000

11 Velvet Knights 63.500

12 San Jose Raiders 62.150

13 Kingsmen 60.850

14 Les Eclipses 60.750

15 Pride of Cincinnati 54.850

16 Bluecoats 54.400

17 Saginaires 53.800

18 Renegades 49.700

19 Southwind 49.150

20 Guardsmen 48.650

21 Buckeye State Caballaros 44.550

22 Night Hawks 42.550

bluecoats in 16th...VK in 11 just missing finals...show me a top 7 like this today that's not a regional championship...

Do you know how many of the "old phogies" would give their left sex organ to see a show like this nowadays?

The US Open is what drum corps used to be about...tradition...excitement...a huge show...and great drum corps...

Edited by skewerz

There is a DCI option to big bucks high powered three month touring. It is called Open Class now.

Remember when: The weekend corps and local / regional model before "tour" used to be "the way it was" ?

Follow me here......................................

Summer used to look like this:

June 15 to July 10th Local circuit shows and Championships

DCE, DCM, ODCA, DCNY, DCW, E-Mass, GSC and whatever they called in in the Pacific Northwest

July 10 to July 24 Regional Championships and Festivals

Barnum Festival, World Open, American International, etc

July 24 to Aug 8th First Tour

DCI East, DATR, DCI Canada(!), DCI South

Late August

Option A: US Open in Marion, OH as a reasonable option to going to DCI

Option B: Second Tour in late August heading to DCI with nearly all DCI sanctioned shows.

In the 80's and 90's , this model, for all intents and purposes, allowed for different kinds of corps.

#1: weekend only corps that did local and regional shows and then headed to Butler or Marion against similar outfits.

This was pretty much the A Class model. Remember 40 corps at Prelims in Marion? I do.

#2 weekend corps that "came out" for First Tour after their regional championships were completed and "toured" right to DCI.

This is the mid-tier Open Class model. Think Avant Garde, Colts, Boston, Dutch Boy, Florida Wave, Freelancers, early-VK

#3 the "BIG" corps that did all the weekends in June, got on the bus and didn't get off til August 20th.

Thats SCV, Garfield, BD, Suncoast.

The sea change in drum corps may have come as the "big" corps tried to one-up each other from a competitive standpoint by doing more and more midweek shows, which then evolved into earlier and earlier shows (June 2nd...are you kidding me?) which then had the other corps chasing the carrot (but more often getting the stick). The earlier the busses rolled, the more rehearsal time, show opportunities, etc.

So it became "full schedule or die!"

DCI certainly promoted this model.

To wit: More DCI sanctioned shows, the absorption of the DCM and DCE, and the near requirement that corps do the full DCI Tour or be relegated to a second class status...including prize monies. And only the best of organizations could "survive" this burdensome model.

What we end up with is a slate of SUPER CORPS and very little else. The days of the local corps are long gone in DCI.

But the residual effect is a HUGE increase in the size and quality of corps in DCA.

This is the part I like. Where has the "depth" gone in DCI? The answer is DCA.

Is DCA's product really that good?

Make no mistake.

The 2007 Buccaneers, Caballeros, Statesmen and Minnesota Brass were sensational. The corps were all full or near-full, and the achievement in visual, brass and percussion compares VERY FAVORABLY to the mid-tier DCI Finalists from, say, 1995. Guess what? That's good drum corps!

Colorguard achievement is improving as well and the depth of the DCA package (corps 5-10 PLUS 18 'mini-corps' including Star of Indiana) makes it a great entertainment experience and value.

I like the fact that DCA calls itself "all-age" because it attracts not only the "over 22 types", but the students who can commit to a corps schedule AND a work schedule, not go broke on fees and dues and still produce excellent drum corps . :tongue:

(kinda the way it used to be).

I love you old Drum Corps nuts. The passion burns you can tell. Where have you been, obviosly not in Madison, WI. We enjoy DCI so much more than the KILT wearing, DCA. We enjoy spending our time helping our kids, instead of the personal satisfaction you get being on the field performing agian. Here in MADISON, we had our time, time for us to help others, not ourselves. Oh yea, every 10 years or so we can all pick up our Bugles, streatch, and blow the fans away. Now dont get me wrong, more power to ya if you think you can march as good or better than the middle teir corps in DCI, You really think you are better marchers than SOUTHWIND? Dont insult our DRUM CORPS! Do you really think you all are that good, especially in marching? Wow I may just have to finally check you all out. Ill bet you $1000 you are not. Then Ill take your money and give it to SOUTHWIND. They could use it.

2007 DCI RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! deal with it.

JASON

MADISON SCOUT 82,83,84,85,86,87,88,89,06 LOW BRASS

Edited by thirdcoast

D. They could use it.

....2007 DCI RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! deal with it.

JASON

MADISON SCOUT 82,83,84,85,86,87,88,89,06 LOW BRASS

WOW! I didn't know Madison went DCA! :tongue:

It seems DCI is headed towards the "Super Corps" or Elite class. But my guess would be 5-8 Corps at best. The rest of the World Class DCI corps would be "feeder corps" for the Elite Corps. They would still have to scramble every year for new people, chase money, deal with bus break-downs etc. Open Class is much more reasonable but as a fan I would still choose a Reading Buc's - Statesmen - Cab's show over a Div II show. (I still would watch and enjoy the Open Class show because I just love to see drum corps anyway and the effort that the people put into it)

I love you old Drum Corps nuts. The passion burns you can tell. Where have you been, obviosly not in Madison, WI. We enjoy DCI so much more than the DRESS wearing, DCA. We enjoy spending our time helping our kids, instead of the personal satisfaction you get being on the field performing agian. Here in MADISON, we had our time, time for us to help others, not ourselves. Oh yea, every 10 years or so we can all pick up our Bugles, streatch, and blow the fans away. Now dont get me wrong, more power to ya if you think you can march as good or better than the middle teir corps in DCI, You really think you are better marchers than SOUTHWIND? Dont insult our DRUM CORPS! Do you really think you all are that good, especially in marching? Wow I may just have to finally check you all out. Ill bet you $1000 you are not. Then Ill take your money and give it to SOUTHWIND. They could use it.

LOL wow. DRESS wearing DCA? That's just brutal.

Anyway, one thing about DCA that ticks me is that....each year a corp can be so different than they were the year before. I guess it's the all age thing and so many people changing from year to year because of work, etc. But it's like you never know what you're going to get from a corps that year. If that makes sense...lol