DCA is "filling a void" left by DCI's Super Corps Model

DCI is voting members of each corps under one executive director (kinda like the NFL...exept the NFL understands that it's better off with the Green Bay Packers than without them!)

The role and authority of a Commissioner (NFL) is far different than Executive Director (DCI).

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad this thread turned into a joke because one person who refuses to practically acknowledge that there are good DCA corps out there denies that turning to DCA could sustain and keep alive a struggling corps, should they choose to do so obviously.

Edited by Kyle B

Glad this thread turned into a joke because one person who refuses to practically acknowledge that there are good DCA corps out there denies that turning to DCA could sustain and keep alive a struggling corps, should they choose to do so obviously.

Its a joke because EVERYONE is trying to get him to throw his arms up and say OK YES DCA CAN, and he is not going to because he knows it is ticking you off. The funnier part is you know it also you know he is just here to push buttons. Yet you still go at it. So I am laughing. Its basically the Howard Stern Effect.

I wanna see what is going to be said next. (I am sure he will probably find something in here to comment on watch)

Honestly do any of you think that because of this thread one corps just one corps will even say hey.. I am sorry but I really don't think so the problems are bigger than DCP. In perfect world this would work and well there goes that.

P.S. i think I owe Cathrine $1

Edited by MrFun

30 some odd pages ago...the OP basically thought, correct me if I am wrong, that DCA could provide a place for those younger or smaller corps to compete on a smaller scale, i.e., less travel (weekends). This would give those particular corps a time to build, while still being competitive.

Now, for some reason, we have gone away from that post and, as usual, gone off the beaten path. Although most of us feel that DCI has had an affect on corps folding, we also suggested that there is a place that these corps could go to to continue doing what they were doing. Try DCA, you may like it!

Someone on the last page I believe mentioned that maybe DCA corps might not want the extra corps around should they make the switch.

I haven't met anyone in DCA that loves the friendly competition with others. I think they would be welcomed with open arms.

Someone on the last page I believe mentioned that maybe DCA corps might not want the extra corps around should they make the switch.

I haven't met anyone in DCA that loves the friendly competition with others. I think they would be welcomed with open arms.

It's not the DCA members that I'm talking about. It's DCA, the organization itself. On the member-to-member level, the more the merrier. If their business plan isn't set up to accommodate taking more slices from the same pie, there might not be a welcome wagon sitting in wait at the end of the road of broken Open Class dreams.

wow...wrong twice in the same post! Congrats!

1. Judges don't come to the parking lot and count how much stuff you take off your trucks. Otherwise Boston would win every year.

Oh - we're in literal interpretation mode again, I see. Thanks for the update Tom, since 1968 I've always thought the judges came to the busses. Thanks for straightening me out on that.... :blink:

2. The increased membership is designed NOT to add an extra bus, but to, in fact, make better use of the existing buses. Empty seats still travel down the road and filling them with members makes good sense.

Next....

Funny - Eric says both my points are true. Maybe you should have a meeting.....

and I refuse to believe that.

Then you "refuse to believe" Donny Allen, as one example.

But no "belief" is actually in play here in this topic.

Rational people evaluate facts in these sort of circumstances.

Edited by GuyW

It's not like that at all. If a director ever actually had that discussion with the members, they need to be fired on the spot.

So, your corps management model is to mislead or lie to the kids.

Nice.

It's not the DCA members that I'm talking about. It's DCA, the organization itself. On the member-to-member level, the more the merrier. If their business plan isn't set up to accommodate taking more slices from the same pie, there might not be a welcome wagon sitting in wait at the end of the road of broken Open Class dreams.

Well, DCA is a little different from DCI in this sense: DCA establishes the rules (including pay scales for the corps), puts the available corps in touch with the available show sponsors, and supplies judges for the shows. Those individual sponsors actually put on the shows. In the other case, DCI puts on its own shows. (Yes, not all DCI shows are put on by DCI itself but DCI sponsors more than just its own Finals.)

The only "pie" that has to be shared is the DCA Finals' purse. And, there DCA has shown an all-inclusive philosophy. In the first official year of Class A (1998), there were 12 Open Class corps and 3 Class A corps. (And in 2000, that had changed to only 11 Open and 5 A.) By the time 2005 rolled around, that had increased to 16 Open and 10 A, the largest corps participation ever at DCA.

Alongside that influx of new corps (bringing new fans and greater fan interest), the Finals location moved to Rochester (which has proven more fan-friendly to DCA Finals). The factors led to ticket sales matching probably DCA's best-case scenario. So, the steps that DCA has taken lately have maximized not only the potential corps-base, but also the income to divide among said corps.

So, yeah, I think that DCA is welcoming to more corps.

DCA is not as big an organization as DCI, so DCA has to be smart in how much growth to take on. But, I think the org has done a remarkable job in not only managing the growth, but in managing the expectations that come along with that growth as well.

Joey Cav, while zealous in his approach, has proffered DCA (weekend-only, limited touring) as a reasonable alternative for corps that may be in financial straits due to unrealistic expectations about participating in the DCI arena. That is all.

Everyone's agreement or disagreement is honest. But, some who disagree are also not avoiding being disagreeable. It's hard to debate seriously about something that one has little experience with - or about which one shows little inclination to learn. I understand full well about using provocative language to elicit an enjoyable, lively debate. However, some posters can't possibly be enjoying this particular one - despite their culpability in continuing it.