DCA is "filling a void" left by DCI's Super Corps Model

I won't name the corps, as it is hardly fair to them 30 years later....it was around 77 or 78, as I said, and it was one bad experience.

I'm thinking it was probably me. :tongue:

Fran

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but this isn't NON-existent behavior. it STILL goes on sadly.

unfortunately i was at a show last spring where i was disgusted by the things going on in the parking lot with one alumni group. i was ticked because as a member of another alumni group their poor behavior reflects on the whole activity. :tongue:

Yes, and I've been at DCI shows where kids throw around the "F" word like it's the Queen's English. Where they shout profanities at each other, litter, smoke and dare I say it? Smoke Pot, too. Granted these kids were out of uniform, but had corps jackets and t shirts on.

I was at a show where a DivII corps was putting on an exhibition and guess what? Some of them got changed in the parking lot between cars.

So in this matter, there is no void that DCA needs to fill. Bad behavior is bad behavior, no matter where it takes place. To indict an entire organization or activity on the basis of your impressions of some bad actors is not fair.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm saying, it is not fair to the decent people in the activity to put forth these examples as if they are the norm.

I've seen more disgusting activity at pro sporting events and concerts and yet I would still attend something if I really wanted to see it. It doesn't even matter if it's on the part of fans or the performers, as I said, bad behavior is bad behavior.

Where ever you go in public you take the chance of being exposed to bad behavior. So perhaps you experienced some bad behavior at a DCA event. I'll bet it's on par with most types of events, yet putting forth a negative example of your experience, every chance you get, does a discredit to all the good that is there.

So, I agree, Liz, it reflects poorly on the whole activity. However, does that bad behavior always have to be a part of the discussion about DCA when, in fact, you could go to almost any adult or young adult activity anywhere and see the same or worse behavior?

Shanghai her. Tell her you're going to an art exhibit and then drive her to the stadium. :tongue:

Perhaps to the "Clifton Arts District" near the high school stadium there. :tongue:

July 12, Drum Corps Grand Prix.

Fran

OK I said non existent behavior and I admit perhaps I mispoke there because after so many years I can turn a blind eye to bad behavior because you can see it anywhere. I just tend not to focus on it.

We all become desensitized to it. I took some neighbors to see a corps rehearsing in our area at a local high school. The first thing my neighbor said to me during the run-through was, "boy, those kids are half-naked." It wasn't provocative nor offensive, really... just a bit "jarring" when you come in from the outside world and step into what we've all become accustomed to.

We all become desensitized to it. I took some neighbors to see a corps rehearsing in our area at a local high school. The first thing my neighbor said to me during the run-through was, "boy, those kids are half-naked." It wasn't provocative nor offensive, really... just a bit "jarring" when you come in from the outside world and step into what we've all become accustomed to.

"Boxer runs" would probably send your average "Church Ladies Afternoon Tea Social Club" member running for the hills.....