BOA in DCI

We all have discussed about today's "corps" are morphing into BOA types bands. This comes with the passing of multikey instruments, larger corps, amps, electronics, etc. It doesn't take a bling person to see that ww's are just around the corner.

This idea just came to mind, if Hoppy get's all he wants and drum corps, per namesake, is gone, could one see if any of the BOA/USBBA marching bands decide to make summer thier marching schedule vs. the usual fall months? Could this be the unintended Hoppy effect?

Edited by sburstall

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all have discussed about today's "corps" are morphing into BOA types bands. This comes with the passing of multikey instruments, larger corps, amps, electronics, etc. It doesn't take a bling person to see that ww's are just around the corner.

This idea just came to mind, if Hoppy get's all he wants and drum corps, per namesake, is gone, could one see if any of the BOA/USBBA marching bands decide to make summer thier marching schedule vs. the usual fall months? Could this be the unintended Hoppy effect?

BOA and USSBA groups are High School Bands. there is no school in summer session. How would this work. Kids go away do other things and still march drum corps.

I guess there is always that possibility, though personally I doubt it, given the expense involved in a summer touring group. Also, the average age of World class corps is 19+, while HS kids average age is about 16 or so...a pretty large discrepancy in experience and maturity.

Just theorizing that if DCI has all it's instrument restrictions gone that maybe, just maybe, some school directors might decided to enter the DCI arena so they could focus the fall on sports instead of weekend shows.

Again, I'm not saying it will happen, but could we saw with 100% accuracy it just might? We didn't think even 10 years ago the amount of change that has happened to corps. And to think how most people poo-pooed the slippery-slope arguement when infact it came true.

MBA (what BOA was called when it began) had a Summer National Championship. I did not pretend to know how it was done, but many bands did participate over several years, including Marian Catholic who were the Summer Champs before they became (fall) Grand National Champs.

Is it possible? Sure. Anything's possible.

Is it probable? Who knows?

Can we rule it out? No.

Just theorizing that if DCI has all it's instrument restrictions gone that maybe, just maybe, some school directors might decided to enter the DCI arena so they could focus the fall on sports instead of weekend shows.

Again, I'm not saying it will happen, but could we saw with 100% accuracy it just might? We didn't think even 10 years ago the amount of change that has happened to corps. And to think how most people poo-pooed the slippery-slope arguement when infact it came true.

Oh, I guess we can say with 100% accuracy that it MIGHT, as it would be legal. :whip:

Personally, I doubt it, for reasons I mentioned...plus other reasons if I thought about it...but I guess it is possible.

they wouldn't be competitive at all.

they could get pretty good, given unlimited rehearsal time, but what separates the "men from the boys" in drum corps is the maturity of the performers. you can't reasonably expect 135 16 year olds to deliver the goods day after day after day without some level of break down.

plus, we spend a lot of time in high school band teaching kids how to play, whereas drum corps can hop right in on learning what to play with relatively little training.

BOA and USSBA groups are High School Bands. there is no school in summer session. How would this work. Kids go away do other things and still march drum corps.

Check out macbda.org.

There are still marching bands that compete in the summer.

Something like that will never happen. But it would be awesome to see how bands like L.D. Bell, Marcus, Carmel, Avon etc. matched up to a drum corps. At least in my opinion it would