BOA in DCI

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait... if this would be Hoppy's "intended" function, then perhaps the question shouldn't be BOA in DCI, but USSBA in DCI...

well, if the bed was made.......

Let's use our own projection power ( diaphragm + lungs ) to put our point across.

A football field is not a nightclub. There are no electric guitars that have to be played over. I say, just let the man do what he wants to do (hoppy).Like it or not, DCI will eventually become BOA,or they'll become so similar to one another that it won't matter. I, personally, don't. :worthy:

Edited by DorianBlues

no. the intended effect is to increase interest, awareness, membership. as an activity, BOA dwarfs DCI. If you broaden the appeal of DCI you garner a larger audience, which equals more revenue and continued growth.
And yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus...

this is ridiculous... go put "marcus marching band" and "ld bell marching band" into a google video search. watch their shows from 06 and 07... those bands could probably pull a run into semifinals off, assuming they were being judged as high school bands (read: woodwinds present) that were allowed into dci.

NOW think about touring costs... instructor fees (those instructors are also high school teachers... who's going to pay for that?)... the fact that those kids have other things to do with their summer AND the touring season extends into both edges of the school year for most high schools...

this is ridiculous... go put "marcus marching band" and "ld bell marching band" into a google video search. watch their shows from 06 and 07... those bands could probably pull a run into semifinals off, assuming they were being judged as high school bands (read: woodwinds present) that were allowed into dci.

NOW think about touring costs... instructor fees (those instructors are also high school teachers... who's going to pay for that?)... the fact that those kids have other things to do with their summer AND the touring season extends into both edges of the school year for most high schools...

Uh ok I've been watching live drum corps and live marching bands for (31 years drum corps and 33 years marching bands). So I went and watched these videos as you suggested and my reaction to what you said as a semi finals run is ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

DCI is a tiny blip on the radar compared to BOA. What reason would a top band have to join the circuit?

Here is a chart from google trends showing search volume for both. Both spike during their seasons. The numbers tell all.

dcivsboasearchtrend.jpg

do a search for "Bands of america" and "drum corps" and you will see a different result.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22bands+of...=all&sort=0

do a search for "Bands of america" and "drum corps" and you will see a different result.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22bands+of...=all&sort=0

It's interesting to see it broken down into individual years, too. For the last few years, Bands of America has a spike around Sept./Oct. and stays significantly low the rest of the year, but drum corps stays pretty high all year, with spikes during July/Aug.

Avon would never do better than Phantom in any captions. For one, it's a about maturity. Drum corps marchers are usually older and in college. Second, experience. The staff and marchers know what it takes and how to get there.

I would say it's a LOT different.

ANYWAY. Why do people think woodwinds would actually get passed, when drum corps' whole thing has been "It's NOT marching band!"

Think of it this way. Matt Harloff is one of the band directors at Avon High School and is the Brass Caption Head at Crown. Even with the same staff, the two groups do not sound the same. Carolina Crown's sound is light years better. I don't think Matt Harloff holds back with his band, but he is dealing with high schoolers, and interestingly enough, it should be pointed out that Avon has more trumpets than Crown (possible more of everything), yet doesn't sound nearly as full and loud.

... just something to think about.

Uh ok I've been watching live drum corps and live marching bands for (31 years drum corps and 33 years marching bands). So I went and watched these videos as you suggested and my reaction to what you said as a semi finals run is ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

what, you don't think the best high school bands in the country can pull ahead of pioneer?

Think of it this way. Matt Harloff is one of the band directors at Avon High School and is the Brass Caption Head at Crown. Even with the same staff, the two groups do not sound the same. Carolina Crown's sound is light years better. I don't think Matt Harloff holds back with his band, but he is dealing with high schoolers, and interestingly enough, it should be pointed out that Avon has more trumpets than Crown (possible more of everything), yet doesn't sound nearly as full and loud.

... just something to think about.

one thing to think about in regards to this is that many band kids do band because it's something to fill out their schedules as they make their way through high school. this means some kids are simply trying to not get yelled at during practice, rather than working towards putting out the best product they can put out. it's not that high school kids are just in general worse than college kids at doing this sort of thing, it's that a significant portion of those participating in high school marching band don't care as much as those participating in a summer with crown.

avon probably has a smaller sound than crown does because they have to balance to the woodwinds... i'm willing to bet matt harloff knows to keep balance in mind when he's teaching the avon band :P

Edited by Kekkles