WOW Factor-which corps offers the most?  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these corps do you think offers the most WOW factor in their shows?

• Cavaliers
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Cadets
    • Blue Devils
    • Madison Scouts
    • Other

The Cadets

-Hornline- I don't think any corps has as many notes as these guys lately. Next to posthumous Star, no mellophone section comes close. Stuff like 1997 and 2001 were some absolutely phenomenal efforts in putting possibly the most moving lines in brassbook history. With the addition of Gino Cipriani, these guys have had an undeniable voice in attitude. In addition to the visual demands, I've never seen a hornline that has them play as crazy parts while moving at that rate.

-Percussion: Absolutely fantastic. If it's any drumline that moves and plays simultaneously as much as these guys do, I'll be impressed. 2007 Cadets, absolutely phenomenal in terms of movement, they are cooking durings these drum breaks. All those pinwheels and direction changes at top notch tempos. Amazing and so clean. The Cadets also enjoy an amazingly well written pit book. 2005 had some absolutely phenomenal stuff.

-Color Guard - These kids book it across the field. This guard never ever stands still as they spin some ridiculous stuff. See 2005 Cadets for the most beautifully arranged books out there.

-Drill: These guys probably come in 3rd to SCV and The Cavaliers in terms of design, but I think they reign in terms of demand. Like I said over and over again, they don't stop moving at all. There's probably no corps that tests the waters out with fast tempos as much as these guys. If you ever notice, Drum break material for this corps has been the best. While the drumline is playing, the hornline is doing some ridiculous drill. Other corps seem to stand around and do some body movements or lax drill, or even just hide behind props. But no, The Cadets put up some fireworks during their drumbreaks. Certainly admirable on my part.

The final minute of any Cadet show has blown me away with the dril and musicl writing. These kids are absolutely booking it. There's probably no corps that comes up with more exciting endings out there. Consistently, these ending minutes have been mind blowing movements for physical and mental demands.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was a good idea, but I don't think it was executed well enough to be a wow moment. There are individual mellophone players sticking out everywhere.

I am absolutely blown away by Phantom musically every year. I think it's great. But I have to absolutely agree with you.

I just don't know about their mellophones last year. I feel like they're trying to side with a more Cadet, run-heavy, approach but they sound almost like car horns when the play. So, it becomes so easy to stick out for these guys.

Removing myself from it, the mellophone line wasn't moving much and it was just a sustain. I don't think it was anything difficulty groundbreaking. Designwise, yes I'd say it was exciting, but nothing any other corps can do better.

After hearing it, it just sounded kinda bad...

Although the drum corps listed have "wow" factors, there are more that are not listed that deserve just as much recognition. I voted "other".

-GM

I voted Cavaliers, with honorable mention to BK. Even if you don't really dig their style (BK), almost everyone I know finds at least a few WOW! moments with the amount of dance and body movement that the hornline does...

This is way tough. All of those corps have had their share of wow moments, as well as many not listed. In response to all of the Regiment talk, as much as I love regiment (and trust me, I definitely do), they just seem to be lacking in moments that make one go "ZOMG DID THEY REALLY JUST DO THAT?!?!!11!?". There have been many occasions in which SCV has made me think similar thoughts, particularly involving visual style and amazing clean drumlines. The Cavaliers have had lots of visual moments, and Madison and BD have always given me chills with their hornlines, but after much painful and rigorous soul-searching, I decided to vote Cadets, basically for the same reasons people have been saying; they're very clean and powerful and original in all respects, and the know how to MOVE.

I am absolutely blown away by Phantom musically every year. I think it's great. But I have to absolutely agree with you.

I just don't know about their mellophones last year. I feel like they're trying to side with a more Cadet, run-heavy, approach but they sound almost like car horns when the play. So, it becomes so easy to stick out for these guys.

Removing myself from it, the mellophone line wasn't moving much and it was just a sustain. I don't think it was anything difficulty groundbreaking. Designwise, yes I'd say it was exciting, but nothing any other corps can do better.

After hearing it, it just sounded kinda bad...

I completely agree.

I think the hornline sounds great when they play softly, for what its worth.

But man, the end of the 07 show was...rough, to say the least.

Madison Scouts, of course!

Seconded...of those on that list, I agree. Would be interesting to see some others added and what it did to results, huh? Voted Scouts cuz they were there, but 'other' should be spelled out, OP, IMHO.

Star...wow. Four REALLY great years! Honored to have shared a field with them in the middle of that and to have seen them live so many times.

Phantom...OK, I'm biased. Man, how can you leave that corps off after the 90's? Others would say the same about the 70's/80's. Still others the 2000's. I mean, there is simply NOT a DCI era where they're not right in the thick of things creatively. There's a reason they're referred to as...what was it?...the originators of classical pageantry? Yeah. Exactly. Wow!

And from what is said about Kingsmen, there are some here who might list them...if they hadn't been on the field WITH them!

Interesting to note BD's placement in the poll...just goes to show, win and wow are not spelled the same!

Edited by silvertrombone

93 Phantom Whew I still pull this one out about once a month or so just to nourish my soul. WOW!

Edited by Perry S

I completely agree.

I think the hornline sounds great when they play softly, for what its worth.

But man, the end of the 07 show was...rough, to say the least.

But, but, but. . .that was the part where they did the cool bird flocky jazz runny thingy!

Seriously. . .I completely agree. Anyone with half an ounce of musical objectivity should be able to call that spade. Phantom had some severe overblowing/balance issues the last minute of that show.

*cue the people excusing the poor balance on their drill

Edited by TXMystreaux