WOW Factor-which corps offers the most?  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these corps do you think offers the most WOW factor in their shows?

• Cavaliers
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Cadets
    • Blue Devils
    • Madison Scouts
    • Other

But, but, but. . .that was the part where they did the cool bird flocky jazz runny thingy!

Seriously. . .I completely agree. Anyone with half an ounce of musical objectivity should be able to call that spade. Phantom had some severe overblowing/balance issues the last minute of that show.

*cue the people excusing the poor balance on their drill

In their defense, the entire corps was jazz running at a 4-to-5 at 200 BPM during that segment.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In their defense, the entire corps was jazz running at a 4-to-5 at 200 BPM during that segment.

Definitely one of the coolest things I saw all year. Particularly if wow means "I cant believe what Im seeing"

That was NOT 200 bpms. That was more like the 176-186 range. Which, I'll add is a severe difference. And that motion was only one drill move.

If it's anything for marching fast (ground breaking fast, as in no one goes faster) and sounding good I'd check out 1993, 2001 Cadets, possibly even 2007 Cadets if you like that Gino aggression. Also check out 2001 and 2004 Cavaliers.

not to mention it sounded fine.

i can't believe this... never heard anyone say phantom 07 sounded bad until today.

It wasn't that the overall show sounded bad, just the end of it. It's just they sounded one way most of the show, and then sounded another way towards the end which makes it seem like they weren't playing with same sound. It's just a logic to it.

If they started edgy and kept edge all the way to the end, no one would probably complain as much.

I mean there was a flam at the end. A pretty great one. Those mellophone had a lot of rips in there with those runs.

I have to stick up for gj--I think he's just expressing his opinion, namely that PR's brass sounds harsh, and unfortunately for him, that opinion is not very well liked on DCP. I think PR gets more unabashed gushing on DCP, no matter what they do, than any corps.

Anyway, about the poll, I put Cadets, because I'm a visually-oriented person, and they have consistently put a lot of "wow" visuals out there nearly every year. I mean, that's pretty much why I marched there. Last year specifically, I remember my reaction to watching their closer drill on the SA webcast as being "wow wow wow wow wow." Runner up overall has to be SCV; they're an amazing corps that has put out some really wow moments both visually and musically. Last year, it was the amazing refinement and clarity of their opening statement and their drill.

But generally, neat stuff performed well, with intensity and confidence, by any corps always gets a "wow." I believe my first reaction to BD last year was "WOW, they just performed the #### out of that."

lol... i think i've heard a fan of every finalist corps claim that their corps gets no love and another corps is practically coddled

Thats not true at all. Ive never met a single person on DCP that didnt love the cadets.... :blink:

No, no they weren't.

The tempo was about 25 beats under 200 and about 4 members were running a 4 to 5. the rest were at about 6 to 5. OooOooOoo.....

There is no defense. Your sound should be good throughout your drill, regardless of demand. If you can't do it while sounding good, then you need to break out the water hose on something.