The Cavaliers: Lackluster Endings?

So I've been looking through the Cavalier videos lately. I couldn't help but notice, in my opinion, how mundane the design is in the last minute of the show.

Out of the top 6, especially considering The Cadets and Phantom Regiment, The Cavaliers have some of the most weak endings that I've seen. They seem like an end of a song almost. Their loud chords at the end just don't seem to cut it as much as the other corps. The last minute or two is almost unmemorable musically and surprisingly visually. There's almost an absence of that "final push", that definitive end. A lot of times, I feel like their endings seem like a close to a song but not a show.

Anyone else share this?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've been looking through the Cavalier videos lately. I couldn't help but notice, in my opinion, how mundane the design is in the last minute of the show.

Out of the top 6, especially considering The Cadets and Phantom Regiment, The Cavaliers have some of the most weak endings that I've seen. They seem like an end of a song almost. Their loud chords at the end just don't seem to cut it as much as the other corps. The last minute or two is almost unmemorable musically and surprisingly visually. There's almost an absence of that "final push", that definitive end. A lot of times, I feel like their endings seem like a close to a song but not a show.

Anyone else share this?

You are very brave to say that on DCP.

:tongue:

Edited by thewdude2

as an avid cavaliers fan....i can see your point.

But i feel as if cavaliers never have that extreme cutting brass sound like say BD or Cadets. It's just not the philosophy of playing they teach there. But for some evaulating....

2000 - That was a ###### ending i don't care what you say.

2001 - I feel that four corners had a strong ending, not as much as 2000, but not bad.

2002 - I can see how you could feel they loose some, possibly even visually, but the stuff before was pretty hard to top anyway.

2003 - Weak ending, but it made sense, and I liked how 'cycled' back to the beginning

2004 - The finals ending wasn't very music, just cool. But the stuff they did at prelims (i think) was AWESOME, even if it was dirty

2005 - I didn't really care for that show anyway, it wasn't bad, but it didn't appeal to me

2006 - Completely keep up til the end. The 'push' at the end was awesome, and having the machine 'break down' was all the better

2007 - I wont get into, i would agree with you on all points for this year.

Anyone else share this?

Wow. I think that Cavies have some of the most incredible endings of any corps I have ever seen. I think their endings have been particularly exciting since the late 1980s, and consistently so. I attribute this mostly to the drill, but I think the music is generally strong too.

Can you be more specific about which years you think are weak?

Prepare your flame suit. But not from me.

I generally enjoy the Cavaliers shows, but I see it much like you do. Watching them through the summer, I always say "yeah" but never "YEAH!!!" I always feel like they have some top secret ending waiting for finals (and usually they do) but I think the anticipation I feel waiting for it all summer, never is what I was looking for.

But i feel as if cavaliers never have that extreme cutting brass sound like say BD or Cadets. It's just not the philosophy of playing they teach there. But for some evaulating....

2001 - I feel that four corners had a strong ending, not as much as 2000, but not bad.

2002 - The jazz run breaking into the fight club. Then, as one of my students put it, each chord "lifted the crowd onto it's feet".

2003 - Weak ending, but it made sense, and I liked how 'cycled' back to the beginning

2004 - The taste of live and let die and then those super high mello trills make this ending one of my favs. That and the bad @@@ pose at the end that said "yep, this night is ours".

2005 - Total party atomosphere. After the circle of death to the end. The music was amazing.

2006 - Completely keep up til the end. The 'push' at the end was awesome, and having the machine 'break down' was all the better

2007 - Felt like the end of a concert, to me.

I agree on most of what you said. Made a few adjustments for what I saw and heard those years.

But to the OP, if you wanna settle for the same old thing every year (overly loud out of control brass and a rit. percussion line), feel free to go grab a hot dog.

2001 - I feel that four corners had a strong ending, not NEARLY as much as 2000, but not bad.

2002 - Drumline plays double beat and the brassline makes a big wavy line... the begining and middle were awesome, not so much ending.

2003- Lame, I sit there for 40 seconds going wtf... this is boring.

2004 - The finals ending wasn't very music, just cool. But the stuff they did at prelims (i think) was AWESOME, even if it was dirty

2005 - I didn't really care for that show anyway, it wasn't bad, but it didn't appeal to me

2007 - I don't think anyone really enjoyed this show. Wasn't a typical "Cavies" show

I made some changes too.

2002 Cavaliers is probably my favorite drum corps show ever, but I've always felt like that show had a lackluster ending. Standing there and playing that chord pales in comparison to, say, Star's 1991 ending, when they flat out sprinted into those crosses for the last minute. Look at Crossmen 2002 and 2003 as well. There was some crazy energy that the Cavies haven't matched in their shows (yet).

I always feel like they have some top secret ending waiting for finals (and usually they do) but I think the anticipation I feel waiting for it all summer, never is what I was looking for.

Agree! :tongue: