St Patricks Day Parades

I turned on the TV yesterday and saw Philly was having their St. Patrick's Day parade already.

What kind of Blarney is that?

I was there for the Philly parade proudly watching my little niece in her Irish dance group for the first time. Supposedly the reason the parade was on March 9 was because Palm Sunday is on the 16th. Early Easter this year throws everything off.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there for the Philly parade proudly watching my little niece in her Irish dance group for the first time. Supposedly the reason the parade was on March 9 was because Palm Sunday is on the 16th. Early Easter this year throws everything off.

Well, heck, St Patrick was Catholic. That should've been OK.

I saw one group of dancers, but didn't watch the whole parade. It was the dancers that come on after a group called the O'Mohoney's or something like that. They had a string band playing with them.

Cold, wasn't it?

Well, heck, St Patrick was Catholic. That should've been OK.

I saw one group of dancers, but didn't watch the whole parade. It was the dancers that come on after a group called the O'Mohoney's or something like that. They had a string band playing with them.

Cold, wasn't it?

I do remember the group with the string band (I think it was Frailinger). They were early in the parade. But we were waiting for Ashlynn's group, Cara School of Dance, who were midway through the parade. Her group was one of the larger ones.

It's funny. It was cold and windy but if you stood in the sun it wasn't too bad. We also had some brandy to warm our "cockles".

Perhaps the archbishops and dignitaries wouldn't be able to attend if they held the parade on Palm Sunday? :huh:

"I turned on the TV yesterday and saw Philly was having their St. Patrick's Day parade already.

What kind of Blarney is that?"

Here in the NY metropolitan area, St. Patrick's 'Day' virtually has become St. Patrick's Month. The first parades were already held March 1 (Rockaway) and March 2 (East Islip, LI) and continue this week and next with White Plains, Staten Island, Manhattan (the BIG one), Bayonne, Jersey City, and all the way to Sunday March 30 in Montauk, LI.

Leave it to the Irish to find a way to stretch a one-day event into a month-long celebration.

"I turned on the TV yesterday and saw Philly was having their St. Patrick's Day parade already.

What kind of Blarney is that?"

Here in the NY metropolitan area, St. Patrick's 'Day' virtually has become St. Patrick's Month. The first parades were already held March 1 (Rockaway) and March 2 (East Islip, LI) and continue this week and next with White Plains, Staten Island, Manhattan (the BIG one), Bayonne, Jersey City, and all the way to Sunday March 30 in Montauk, LI.

Leave it to the Irish to find a way to stretch a one-day event into a month-long celebration.

The big Southside Chicago parade was yesterday. Traditionally, the Milwaukee area parades are held on that Saturday the day before (which they were just this past Saturday).

These parades were quite early versus all the other years, but the reasoning has to do (in this area) with not celebrating events such as these around Holy Week. Thus the change of dates. This happens about every 100 years or so when Easter falls close to St Pat's Day.

I just walked that South Side Chicago parade with my kids from Pioneer (Milwaukee) yeaterday...sorry if that is a DCI corps on the DCA thread...the kids tried really hard. Very well attended and weather wasnt too bad.

Donny

Excelsior was proud to again march in the Kingston, NY St. Patricks day parade. This was the 4th year for Excelsior in this parade and we wore our green with pride for our friends at the Ulster County Ancient Order of the Hibernians. Thanks to John Kelly and Larry Dunne for another great parade this year! We are looking forward to next year!

Ya know what Robbie..you are right, when you stood in the sun, with no wind...it wasn't too bad, we were almost able to forget that it was March in New York :huh: But, unfortunately, those times of sun shining and no wind were few and far between. When we formed up and started down the parade route, the wind seemed to be aiming for the bells of our horns! Yeah, it was a cold one, but at least it wasn't raining! Irish eyes must have been smiling down on us all.

A special thank you goes out to Marilyn and Megan for their first parade! Great job to both of you and although both of you have been around for quite some time now, now that you have both braved a 2 1/2 mile parade, it is fitting to say..."welcome aboard".

Kudos to the drumline. After playing straight for 11 miles in New Orleans, this parade must have seemed like a Tuesday night rehearsal. But, the drumline played the enitre parade and were the life of the parade. The crowd was hopping and even the groups behind us were appreciative of the entertainment our drumline provided to keep their minds off of the cold!

Reminder: The 1st annual "Rat-A-Tat Crash Drumline Bash" is on 3/21. Drumline party. Bring your friends and bring your sticks, because we just might want to jam! DVDs, music, food and fun.

Next full corps rehearsal is March 16th, Stillwater, NY High school and the next full corps camp is March 28,29,30. This years show of Robin Hood is shaping up to be quite amazing and there are select spots still open! If you are a soprano, mellophone or color guard member, we could use your talents! Come check us out.

Donel - Drum Major and Director

518-708-1108

I just walked that South Side Chicago parade with my kids from Pioneer (Milwaukee) yeaterday...sorry if that is a DCI corps on the DCA thread...the kids tried really hard. Very well attended and weather wasnt too bad.

Donny

As the OP - Any and all corps are welcome Donny, thanks for the Pioneer ino....

Wonder if any early parades got hit with the nasty weather that hit Ohio and NW PA. Last year the York, PA parade got blizzarded out because the streets and sidewalks would not have been open in time. :huh:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

What would a St. Patrick's Day thread be without a proper blessing?

To one and all --

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

and rains fall soft upon your fields.

And until we meet again,

May God hold you in the palm of His hand.