DCA Show on PBS

Aw, Jim . . .

now you're gonna make me dig up that thing!

It's a VHS tape made from an 8mm movie film. I know one of the corps was the Delke Knights. I seem to think another was the Caballeros. It's here somewhere. I'll get back to you.

:tongue:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw, Jim . . .

now you're gonna make me dig up that thing!

It's a VHS tape made from an 8mm movie film. I know one of the corps was the Delke Knights. I seem to think another was the Caballeros. It's here somewhere. I'll get back to you.

:tongue:

Don't worry about it Fred, I was just wondering. Since I came back to corps I've turned into a real bugger on DC history before my time. Have always been a history buff and having the internet and technology to convert old sound and video is fueling my fire. :ph34r:

Few years ago I converted Super8 reels to VHS. When we got a new PC last year we had coupons for Support work. Used the coupons to convert the VHS to DVD format. Included in the film is silent clips of Westshoremen at parades in 74, 79 and 81(?).

with or without advertising, probably between 250k and 500k.

Ouch! :tongue: Let's see if we start today selling 50/50 tickets . . .like Gary says "Why so much?"

Back in 1985, Our corps, the Northmen, hosted a DCE sponsored show with Garfield,27th lancers, Les Eclipse, Les Chaitalaines(sp?), Avante Garde and the first year of Star of Indiana!

I, being the chairman, approached WXXI, the local PBS Rochester station about doing a production and after a good presentation to their production gurus they accepted the challenge and had their long time announcer team up with Don Angelica to do color commentary. I still have the tape and dust it off and enjoy a great production that they aired in the Rochester market 2 weeks after the show. The producer for WXXI was Tom Blair and after alot of years I believe is working for the largest spectator sport in America.......NASCAR doing television events on the racing circuits.

I was flabbergasted how they really were taken back by the activity and we did not pay a dime for the production!!

Way too cool! :tongue:

Back in 1985, Our corps, the Northmen, hosted a DCE sponsored show with Garfield,27th lancers, Les Eclipse, Les Chaitalaines(sp?), Avante Garde and the first year of Star of Indiana!

I, being the chairman, approached WXXI, the local PBS Rochester station about doing a production and after a good presentation to their production gurus they accepted the challenge and had their long time announcer team up with Don Angelica to do color commentary. I still have the tape and dust it off and enjoy a great production that they aired in the Rochester market 2 weeks after the show. The producer for WXXI was Tom Blair and after alot of years I believe is working for the largest spectator sport in America.......NASCAR doing television events on the racing circuits.

I was flabbergasted how they really were taken back by the activity and we did not pay a dime for the production!!

Way too cool! :tongue:

That's cool,......................I wonder if you could get some local cable access production students to do the mechanics of it for their final project or something...............with commentary by none other than Gadget, leading up the the corps intros by Fran. and let the corps do the rest..................... here in Erie, the local public access people have the mobile production unit, satalite link up,............the works!

We are talking about TV on an internet forum.

I'll admit. The first time I ever saw a drumcorps competition was when I was a little kid and my parents were turning the dial on the TV and ended up at the PBS broadcast. TV is the best way to reach non-drumcorps people.

But, there are two audiences that used to watch those broadcasts: non-drumcorps people and drumcorps fans. Both audiences are important, but if you can't serve both audiences, maybe it is still possible to serve one of the audiences.

I, for one, would gladly pay for a decent internet broadcast. It doesn't have to be high def. It doesn't have to have Kurt and Rondo and Dennis. And, since a lot of us prefer to experience shows from the 50 yard line from an elevated level, a single camera at "high angle" would be just fine. Just add some graphics and voice overs and serve while still warm.

If PBS TV is not an option, maybe PBS.org (or some other site) is an option. I'm guessing that some portal might be able to earn enough in ads, tax deductions, and maybe fees to make it worth partnering with DCA. Maybe it is even possible for the DCA website to earn money providing streaming or recorded films.

Many of us already use our computers to watch news clips, English football highlights, SNL skits, baseball games, concerts, and tons of other things that used to be available only on TV. Drumcorps will follow, eventually. I'd like "eventually" to happen as soon as possible.

I hope I haven't gone off on a tangent here. You can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need, and I think that the key to getting what we need may lie in the internet.

Just my 2 cents. Melt them down for the metals if you don't think they are worth anything.

Jeff Schrimmer

Of late, I've wondered why they couldn't air a variety of All Drum Corps programs on PBS.

The Best Of.

Get corps, DCI, DCA and Alumni, to submit videos of past shows.

Why does it always have to be about DCI?

If it's a matter of the corps wanting a payment to have their shows aired...

Or would that be DCA and DCI wanting a payment? hmmm

I really don't understand these matters. Either way I see these drum corps shows being televised as being great advertisement for

bringing Drum and Bugle corps to the public.

The average person doesn't understand that, all age groups , participate in drum and bugle corps.

All they see are these young people, torturing their bodies, doing these spectacular drills.

Playing these beautifully orchestrated compositions. Rarely hearing anything they've heard before.

DCI music, in my experiance. Goes over the heads of a large majority of the public.

Average Joe's here people! Don't EVEN go there! I appreciate the music myself. I'm just making conversation.

It's all from past experience and observations. I have 2 kids' ages 21 and 26 and I have tried getting their friends interested. No deal.

But they like listening to me play. Especially Cabs. alumni music. What's that tell you? They liked The Music Express stuff to.

My own customers love the alumni stuff but only one of them can appreciate DCI. But she sings in the Metropolitan Opera. ~giggles~

I want people to see and appreciate Drum and Bugle corps as I do. It's a beautiful art form and the BEST of hobbies.

Believe me I've tried to show NORMAL people what I've been around all my life. LOL

And they have the most peculiar looks on their faces. They retreat as soon as humanly possible.

Or change the subject.

Fran's own Sunrisers won the show. That probably helps his memory here!

No, not at all. :tongue:

I'm not real sure of drum corps telecast history, but I own a copy of an even earlier event. It was a 1956 show at the stadium that preceeded J. Birney Crum Stadium in Allentown. That stadium was 2 blocks away, under the high school's current parking deck. It wasn't DCA, of course, just corps who carried bugles with one arm while swinging the other arm. Anyone have drum corps video older than this?

At the Caballeros' 60th anniversary dinner a couple of years ago they showed some classic 1950's footage of the Cabs, complete with the arm-swinging. Great stuff. I'm not sure which year, though.

Fran

wha,...........?,......................why so much?,................to purchase the air time?

TV aint cheap. I remember reading DCI paid something like 450k for the ESPN gig, not sure if that included sponsor cash or not.

Face it, Drum Corps doesnt have the every day name recognition to make people want to air it or pay to air it like sports, even the #### on late night ESPN Classic.

Where DCA can start to help move in this direction is get sponsors that arent just marching arts related like DCI has started doing. When people not in our world think Yamaha, they think bikes, not brass. Pearl? oh a jewelry commerical.

Look at Super Bowl ads...those companies pay MILLIONS for 30 seconds.