Why are bugle bells silver?

I got this today from a reader of DCI.org. He said it was okay for me to post it here.

<<Why are drum corps bugles silver and not brass-colored? Someone once told me that the silver finish made for a better tone quality. But that doesn’t seem right. If that were true, wouldn’t most professional brass players use silver instruments? And if brass-colored instruments produce a better tone quality, why don’t drum corps use them? So... is it just tradition? Something to separate the activity from marching bands?

Do you know?>>

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well of course it's because the stadium lights just don't reflect as beautifully off brass colored as it does silver lmao.

Originally, they weren't silver, they were nickel ... The old horns were about as hard as a car bumper. Aesthetics aside, I think it was a durability issue, as lacquer wasn't very practical on the wear-and-tear front (just ask anybody who marched bridgemen back in the day ... The horns became de-lacquered very fast and looked like scheiss after a few years.)

Originally, they weren't silver, they were nickel ... The old horns were about as hard as a car bumper. Aesthetics aside, I think it was a durability issue, as lacquer wasn't very practical on the wear-and-tear front (just ask anybody who marched bridgemen back in the day ... The horns became de-lacquered very fast and looked like scheiss after a few years.)

Seems logical...

I got this today from a reader of DCI.org. He said it was okay for me to post it here.

<<Why are drum corps bugles silver and not brass-colored? Someone once told me that the silver finish made for a better tone quality. But that doesn’t seem right. If that were true, wouldn’t most professional brass players use silver instruments? And if brass-colored instruments produce a better tone quality, why don’t drum corps use them? So... is it just tradition? Something to separate the activity from marching bands?

Do you know?>>

I don't know about the tradition part, but I do know that silver and brass colored horns DO tend to give different tone qualities (I would argue that a player should be able to control tone quality, and only use equipment to enhance that). 'Better' is a subjective term- I know that brass tends to give a more mellow tone, whereas silver tends to be brighter (or at least that's true in my experience). Which one is 'Better' is up to the listener.

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-Fine-Bb-Clarion-Pro-...1QQcmdZViewItem

:guinesssmilie:

count your blessings...

Edited by Vanguard07

Because if they were green, they'd get stepped on during water breaks.

We went for a water break, and came back with one of the sopranos horns looking like he was

Dizzy Galespy (sp?).