im curious

mods if this is in the wrong forum please move it...

Im curious what the people in the know about guard performances thought of the spartans 2007 in comparison to the divison 1's. How would their colorguard have stacked against the cavaliers or cadets guard. They did score a 19.9 which obviously is amazing, i just wanna know comparisons

2002 Div II/III finals Recap

2002 Div I finals Recap

As you look at these recaps from 2002 take note of Magic of Orlando's Scores during Div. II/III finals. They had nearly flawless scores in almost every caption. But later at Div I finals every single caption dropped between 2 and 3 points leaving their overall score almost 15 points. The Handicaps are awarded per caption, not overall score, with that in mind I think it's safe to say that the Spartans would not have faired so well against the Cavaliers, Cadets, etc. This opinion is based entirely off of scores, having never seen this color guard I can't say for sure. However, it is possible that with scores such as theirs they would have probably secured a spot in finals.

Edited by Vanguard07

mods if this is in the wrong forum please move it...

Im curious what the people in the know about guard performances thought of the spartans 2007 in comparison to the divison 1's. How would their colorguard have stacked against the cavaliers or cadets guard. They did score a 19.9 which obviously is amazing, i just wanna know comparisons

Magic scored 99+ in 2002 as Div 2.

That translated to mid 80s in Div 1 finals.

They most likely would not have stacked up well against the Cadets or Cavaliers guards.

I'd have to disagree with them being compared next to the Cavies and Cadets guard.

Their score is phenomenal and something to be VERY proud of however, they are a division II/Open class guard and their staff would have written their choreography to those standards not something to be compared to a DIV I top 5 corps.

Edited by Vanguard07

Just like leigh said, you can't compare 1st place in Open Class to 1st place in World Class. They use different sheets and most likely, have different levels of tolerance. You could get off with simpler material (though I doubt it's that simple) in Open Class than World Class. Clean goes a long way, but content always has a say. I am not a guard person, but these are my 2 pennies.

Edit: grammar

Edited by Coathope

Ok, drummer here, but I'll give this thread a go anyway. In 93, the year I marched Blue Stars, I am fairly certain their book was in line with anything top 12 was doing. The talent was certainly there, as evidenced that at least two individuals from that guard (which was maybe 10 strong if that?) marched BD the following year and one was featured throughout BD's show, J.D. Stark. I would venture to say that in many cases, the scores between divisions don't lend themselves to comparison for no other reason than the judges have to keep a sense of order to things, each corps in their proverbial place if you will. Certainly there will be disparity in demand and execution in most cases when comparing top 5 and Div II-III (sorry for not using the up to date terms, old dog-new tricks what can I say), but there HAVE been many instances where Div II-III corps have achieved amazing things from a demand and execution standpoint. Unfortunately, it would never compete score wise with the big boys at the top. I mean, can you see a judge trying to explain (in a situation where they were on the same sheets which may only be hypothetically possible these days) scoring a Div II guard in line with Phantom or BD? How good the Div II guard actually was and how much demand there was in their book is all completely irrelevent. The judge would be chewed up, spit out, sacked, and then excomunicated.

Did I just write that much about guard stuff? MAN I need the season to start.

Edited by BozzlyB

Ok, drummer here, but I'll give this thread a go anyway. In 93, the year I marched Blue Stars, I am fairly certain their book was in line with anything top 12 was doing. The talent was certainly there, as evidenced that at least two individuals from that guard (which was maybe 10 strong if that?) marched BD the following year and one was featured throughout BD's show, J.D. Stark. I would venture to say that in many cases, the scores between divisions don't lend themselves to comparison for no other reason than the judges have to keep a sense of order to things, each corps in their proverbial place if you will. Certainly there will be disparity in demand and execution in most cases when comparing top 5 and Div II-III (sorry for not using the up to date terms, old dog-new tricks what can I say), but there HAVE been many instances where Div II-III corps have achieved amazing things from a demand and execution standpoint. Unfortunately, it would never compete score wise with the big boys at the top. I mean, can you see a judge trying to explain (in a situation where they were on the same sheets which may only be hypothetically possible these days) scoring a Div II guard in line with Phantom or BD? How good the Div II guard actually was and how much demand there was in their book is all completely irrelevent. The judge would be chewed up, spit out, sacked, and then excomunicated.

Did I just write that much about guard stuff? MAN I need the season to start.

Totally agree. I know a former judge who was, to put it as you did, "chewed up, spit out, sacked, and then excomunicated" for putting a lower-tiered World Class drum line on-top of an upper-tiered/perennial Champion World Class drum line. He was correct, could back up his scores with intelligent thoughts, and is a great guy. Naturally, that wasn't enough and he left judging to pursue a lower-stress summer activity. I can't imagine too many judges would put a Div. 2 color guard higher in the scores than a Top 6 corps, let alone Cavaliers (1st place last year at Finals). Spartans obviously had an amazing guard last year, and were rewarded with a near-perfect score. My above comments were not meant to put down their accomplishments. If Spartans do go World Class in the near future, we'll see soon enough how their guard stacks up with the best in the World Class