1966 American Legion Nationals

"I was too young to march"

lol - wish I could say that... it was indeed, an interesting night... one of the trophies shot putted by Joe Genaro landed at my feet... although the golden drum was presented at AL championships, I believe there was also a best drum trophy and that is what was thrown... As I remember, he clearly said "HERE, you guys can have it" and sent it flying toward our corps.

Interesting night indeed Tom........I remember the trophy being thrown to the ground and remember a corps drumline throwing their sticks in the air and walking off the field.........Was it Hurcs and Sky or vica-versa?........hmmmmmmmmm........

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most trophies tossed = Hurricanes (Joe Genero)

most drum sticks become flying objects = Skyliners

WOW where did you get these breakdowns? i've never seen these. was this part of the mess? i have the official ones released at the show. they don't look like this. how did they go from these to the offical ones????? :sad: if you have the whole breakdown by captions can you post them???

Don,

go back to page 3 here and look at post #22.

Don,

go back to page 3 here and look at post #22.

thanks i missed that.

most trophies tossed = Hurricanes (Joe Genero)

most drum sticks become flying objects = Skyliners

Getting banned from the 67 AL Nats in Boston = Priceless

:-)

Interesting night indeed Tom........I remember the trophy being thrown to the ground and remember a corps drumline throwing their sticks in the air and walking off the field.........Was it Hurcs and Sky or vica-versa?........hmmmmmmmmm........

There's a pic of Genero receiving a "reconstructed" trophy at the Hurcs 66 banquet ... maybe Nanci can post it ... it's on the Hurc's Alumni web site ...

Getting banned from the 67 AL Nats in Boston = Priceless

Did that ban include the 67 AL States in Buffalo too? Sky wasn't there either. Sun didn't fare very well up in Buffalo and opted out of the Boston gig. Just as well, we got to see a great Nationals at Fenway Park from the stands for a change. Especially the junior portion of the show.

Edited by gsksun4

Did that ban include the 67 AL States in Buffalo too? Sky wasn't there either. Sun didn't fare very well up in Buffalo and opted out of the Boston gig. Just as well, we got to see a great Nationals at Fenway Park from the stands for a change. Especially the junior portion of the show.

Since they couldn't go to Nats there was most likely no need to go to States ...

Oops! I forgot. You were probably still with PAL at that time Andy.

Yesseriee ... sure was ... though I was being "recruited" by Sky at the time, I was probably a little closer to Sun's drum line than their's ... Billy Cobham was doing some of our charts (this is while he was still in music school) and I remember running him around to some music stores the day of the Barnum in 67 to find some drum heads ... Sun had gotten a new set of tenors and he liked the way the PAL's were tuned ... so we spent a good portion of the afternoon getting the same heads, disassembling and then reassembling the drums ... I laughed at one point because he and everyone else took off for a while and left me there to work on them by myself ... LOL ... good times for sure!!!