1966 American Legion Nationals

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Nanci........any wonder why we abandoned AL and VFW????? Or, better yet, why they abandoned and abrogated their duty to judge in an unbiased manner???? Look back to '63 Miami.......one brass judges sheet changed.

J

that was an unbeleivable show. every senior corps with the exception of the crusaders thought they won. i was on the sidelines as i was to young to march but i traveled with rochester and and thought sky had won but i really couldn't tell. every corps was great that night. it was to say the at least a very interesting set of event's. what a night.

Thanks Nanci........any wonder why we abandoned AL and VFW????? Or, better yet, why they abandoned and abrogated their duty to judge in an unbiased manner???? Look back to '63 Miami.......one brass judges sheet changed.

J

Phil Ma"who"? in '63. A drum judge from Glenshaw, Pa. in '65. And who came out smelling like a rose in both AL Nats?

Funny thing Mike. Yes, it was Phil's sheet, but Rip spoke with him at length some years later and he swore that the changed figures were not his doing and that he too had Archie first in brass. I believe that, given Rip's experience and cynicism about that event, Phil was being truthful. Someone who had access to the scoresheets, erased those figures and replaced them with figures having us in, I believe, 11th place.

I don't know the who or the why. I don't care. I grew up a bunch in those hours before and after finals. Years later, while working as investigative engineer, the president of the firm imparted a basic tennet of our duties........"don't trust anyone....even your mother." I guess that sums it up.

erfaquote name='NYSkyliner' date='Mar 23 2008, 01:55 PM' post='2182373']

Phil Ma"who"? in '63. A drum judge from Glenshaw, Pa. in '65. And who came out smelling like a rose in both AL Nats?

That evening in 1966 will always remain one of the greatest times I have ever had in my life.

Listening to the Fleetwood album you can hear the intensity of the crowd, which was unreal by any standards.

The senior scoring hanky panky in those days was unreal, if memory serves me correct at some point around that time the Hurricanes unsheathed a " Giant Screw Banner " at retreat of one contest to register their feeling on the scoring :thumbup:

The senior scoring hanky panky in those days was unreal, if memory serves me correct at some point around that time the Hurricanes unsheathed a " Giant Screw Banner " at retreat of one contest to register their feeling on the scoring :tongue:

Yeah, it was "funny" evening for scoring. 8 point spread (that's 80 ticks, a mighty sum back in the day) between the 2 execution drum judges for Skyliners. Hurcs taking high horns, high drums and tied for high execution M&M,.....and coming in second.

Yeah, go figure..........regarding Archies situation.....that wast he begining of that special award" "The Royal Order of the Shaft with Green and Purple Ribbons"

Yeah, it was "funny" evening for scoring. 8 point spread (that's 80 ticks, a mighty sum back in the day) between the 2 execution drum judges for Skyliners. Hurcs taking high horns, high drums and tied for high execution M&M,.....and coming in second.

" Phil Ma " was the horn instructor for OLPH Ridgemen when I joined them in 19_ _. Forget about the year but it was a Long time ago. I haven't seen his name in many years and it just brought back some memories.

I think we are talking about the same guy, are we?

You bet Joe. He was much maligned for that alleged intentional dump. Based on Rip's read I think Phil was innocent. Just my 2 cent.

Hope all is well.

" Phil Ma " was the horn instructor for OLPH Ridgemen when I joined them in 19_ _. Forget about the year but it was a Long time ago. I haven't seen his name in many years and it just brought back some memories.

I think we are talking about the same guy, are we?