Gotta Love the Locals!

I'll play.

In 04 we rehearsed in a park for everydays. Nice big open fields surrounded by some woods. Our conductor went to the bathroom to do "#2" (important to the story). It was one of those bathrooms that didn't have stalls, just a toliet. Anyways, all of the sudden, we see him run out of there SCREAMING "GET AWAY FROM YOU YOU *&@*$(* PERVERT!!!!!" Apparently, this old guy had walked in to the bathroom, taken out his *member*, and said to the conductor "What, aren't you into this?!"

The police were called, and the guy was arrested. The police found a mattress in the woods with binoculars with a clear view of our rehearsal field....and a daycare center. When they asked the guy what his deal was he said "I like to watch their shiny bodies move".

And of course we still rehearsed there for the rest of the summer, although it was never quite the same.

this one wins

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there a Scouts alum on the LAPD?

I know of at least one, and he marched guard with VK and then Madison. He was actually featured on a show shown out here in the LA market (not sure if it ever got to syndication across the country) called "LAPD", and it was basically styled after "COPS", but they just went around with LAPD officers and filmed their exploits. I remember one episode he was in they had to deal with a naked man on drugs.

Which probably is a lot like drum corps in some respects, but I digress.

:tongue:

I'll play.

In 04 we rehearsed in a park for everydays. Nice big open fields surrounded by some woods. Our conductor went to the bathroom to do "#2" (important to the story). It was one of those bathrooms that didn't have stalls, just a toliet. Anyways, all of the sudden, we see him run out of there SCREAMING "GET AWAY FROM YOU YOU *&@*$(* PERVERT!!!!!" Apparently, this old guy had walked in to the bathroom, taken out his *member*, and said to the conductor "What, aren't you into this?!"

The police were called, and the guy was arrested. The police found a mattress in the woods with binoculars with a clear view of our rehearsal field....and a daycare center. When they asked the guy what his deal was he said "I like to watch their shiny bodies move".

And of course we still rehearsed there for the rest of the summer, although it was never quite the same.

:tongue:

*Slowly backs out of topic*

Hamilton DCI Canada 1982 we were going thru a final run thru at a local school and remember three punks on bikes watching the run thru flipping everybody off behind the drum major mocking every possible move they could come up with. Once we gathered for a final word from Moe Latour, these guys knew they had made some enemies and took off just before we were dismissed. It was a good thing, because every guy wanted to take a pop at them.

I was on tour with VK in 83 and the only part I remember was we stayed at a school in Hollywood, Florida and the high school team was going thru two a days. Some of these bozos had the nerve to walk right in to the chow line and start eating away and then had the nerve to wonder why they were asked to kindly stop since we had 150 folks to feed. About the gun, I do not remember that part.

In 79 VK stayed at a school in Tifton, Georgia and again another football camp going on. The team was catching a break from the heat in the gym and I remember the African American players sitting on one set of bleachers and the white players on another. This was in 1979 and I thought our society had advanced passed this kind of nonsense by then. Well there was also two sets of restrooms for the races as well ( very clearly posted) and myself being of spanish heritage, I didn't know which one to use. The topper was when one of our horn players ( an African American) was hugging and skipping around with one of our very blonde blue eyed gorgeous California gals. Needless to say, the African American players got a hoot out of this and the white football players had the look of wanting to hang somebody. To this day, I still cannot believe this was possible even in 1979.

In 79 VK stayed at a school in Tifton, Georgia and again another football camp going on. The team was catching a break from the heat in the gym and I remember the African American players sitting on one set of bleachers and the white players on another. This was in 1979 and I thought our society had advanced passed this kind of nonsense by then. Well there was also two sets of restrooms for the races as well ( very clearly posted) and myself being of spanish heritage, I didn't know which one to use. The topper was when one of our horn players ( an African American) was hugging and skipping around with one of our very blonde blue eyed gorgeous California gals. Needless to say, the African American players got a hoot out of this and the white football players had the look of wanting to hang somebody. To this day, I still cannot believe this was possible even in 1979.

I have a sad story that beats that....told to me by some 83 BD vets.

They were somewhere in teh deep South and one of the euphs was refused service at a store because he's black. Igor was the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet....and these backwoods yahoos treated him like a 2nd class citizen...dumb f###s.

I have a sad story that beats that....told to me by some 83 BD vets.

They were somewhere in teh deep South and one of the euphs was refused service at a store because he's black. Igor was the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet....and these backwoods yahoos treated him like a 2nd class citizen...dumb f###s.

Well, it's not like that anymore, thank God.

Well, it's not like that anymore, thank God.

Unfortunately, in some places, it still is. Not with separate restrooms and stuff but I have witnessed people of different races treated like 2nd or 3rd class citizens. It's truly disheartening because there are very few white people that think this way but it only takes one bad apple...

Those must be very secluded areas, then. It's very rare that I come across that kind of racism down here, and it's usually when i'm in some backwater town with literally one stop light

Hamilton DCI Canada 1982 we were going thru a final run thru at a local school and remember three punks on bikes watching the run thru flipping everybody off behind the drum major mocking every possible move they could come up with. Once we gathered for a final word from Moe Latour, these guys knew they had made some enemies and took off just before we were dismissed. It was a good thing, because every guy wanted to take a pop at them.

I was on tour with VK in 83 and the only part I remember was we stayed at a school in Hollywood, Florida and the high school team was going thru two a days. Some of these bozos had the nerve to walk right in to the chow line and start eating away and then had the nerve to wonder why they were asked to kindly stop since we had 150 folks to feed. About the gun, I do not remember that part.

While I don't remember anything about the events you described (been too long), I remember the signs vividly: White and Colored posted above the respective side by side gym restrooms. It was a mind **** seeing that in 1979, and that image crosses my mind now and then. Not that it could get any stranger, but I remember that school being dead in the middle of a very poor black neighborhood. Just blew my mind at the time!

Wasn't that the school VK stayed at in prep for Birmingham?