Northmont ... 1997

wtxcg

Copy that on the pre-post posting. Scanned the replies sans my spectacles and didn't catch it. As you can imagine I had heard all sorts of nonesense about that show and unit since. Honestly, I had only seen that program twice after that night, but wanted to finally get some real info on the matter.

After repeated re-re-re-watchings last night and today, I do agree with dugg - it was GE heavy... And, was intended to be GE heavy...

I mean --- it traumatized my mother. A straight-to-the-point, tough-as-nails Latina businesswoman who happened to like winterguard until that night. That's not an easy thing to do...

If a unit were to try something similar today the reception would be quite different. We do live in a post-9/11 - post-Saw/Hostel franchise world...

Sorry for the rehash for those of you who would rather do with out.

Imagine if she would have seen it and one of those big silver meat hooks got caught in the corner of one of the performer's eye. . .. .ah the things you experience during the local circuit shows!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did that really happen???

Just watched it on AOL Video...

The show is definitely dirty, and the music is quite creepy. I don't think a HS program should be doing a show that, er, demonic? Haha.

The one thing I found totally inappropriate was the hanging of the girl in the back. I'm sorry, but that just should not be in a show.

The hanging part was definitely gross... of course, in 1996 they "shot" a girl and she threw up blood.. that was fun.. HA!

The hanging part was definitely gross... of course, in 1996 they "shot" a girl and she threw up blood.. that was fun.. HA!

Sheesh! No wonder the school asked them to stop doing those kinds of shows. :tongue:

call it what you want.....but colorguard is an art form...you can pick any piece of art in the world and you will find some people like it and some don't.....97 Northmont is not different. as for whether it's "apprpriate" for a high school guard.....your opinion is every bit as valid, or no more so than anyone who disagrees with you because it's OPINION.

As for whether or not they were going for sheer shock value, if they were, I'd say they achieved their goal. Like it or not, people still talk about it to this day.....mission accomplished!

[*]Setup time - oy!

If they got on and off the floor in time, who cares if it took 30 seconds or 3 minutes.......does anyone know if they got penalized for being overtime? I coudl be wrong, but I'm quite certain the staff wouldn't have planned props that elaborate without some way to avoid getting them penalities all season long. I was at WGI in 97 and saw that show live and I don't remember having any thoughts about them taking an inordinately long time to set up or tear down........though I did hear (just rumor) that part of the reason they abandonded those props after 2 years is because they were just too costly to transport.

call it what you want.....but colorguard is an art form...you can pick any piece of art in the world and you will find some people like it and some don't.....97 Northmont is not different. as for whether it's "apprpriate" for a high school guard.....your opinion is every bit as valid, or no more so than anyone who disagrees with you because it's OPINION.

Sorry, but I take serious issue with that. It's true that art can be controversial, and should push boundaries and even shock sometimes. But WGI is not MOMA, and we are not putting out works for adults who are serious about art to debate and ponder. We are dealing with students, and we have a responsibility to uphold certain standards. I'm an educator (not just color guard, but in the classroom), and I would never be so irresponsible as to expose my students to something so inappropriate, much less ask them to participate in it. In the same way, art teachers would be careful about what works they would show their students, lit teachers are careful about what books they study, etc. I'm happy to debate the merits of artistic works, no matter how shocking or vulgar, but asking students to take part is not acceptable.

Edited by Jak

Sorry, but I take serious issue with that. It's true that art can be controversial, and should push boundaries and even shock sometimes. But WGI is not MOMA, and we are not putting out works for adults who are serious about art to debate and ponder. We are dealing with students, and we have a responsibility to uphold certain standards. I'm an educator (not just color guard, but in the classroom), and I would never be so irresponsible as to expose my students to something so inappropriate, much less ask them to participate in it. In the same way, art teachers would be careful about what works they would show their students, lit teachers are careful about what books they study, etc. I'm happy to debate the merits of artistic works, no matter how shocking or vulgar, but asking students to take part is not acceptable. And that's not just an opinion.

you can take issue all you want...it's your opinion, and you are entitled to it. but let me break out and reply to your post line by line.

It's true that art can be controversial, and should push boundaries and even shock sometimes.
...just as long as it doesn't offend YOU? I thought the show was dark, but I didn't have an issue with it. So let's use MY standards and opinions on decency instead of yours....oh wait....me deciding what's acceptable to you is just as ludicrous as you decidicing what's acceptable for me. You jsut admitted that it can push boundaries and shock....but apparently this was a littel TOO shocking for you. That's ok. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
We are dealing with students, and we have a responsibility to uphold certain standards.

Once again, guess we are using your standards instead of mine.....who decided that we should all abide by your opinion instead of forming our own?

I would never be so irresponsible as to expose my students to something so inappropriate, much less ask them to participate in it.

once again, your entire argument is based on your OPINION (read that, without factual relevance to back it up) that this show is inappropriate. As soon as you come up with a FACT that the show was inappropriate, your arguement may hold water, but even if your opinion is that of the majority, that still doesn't make it justifiable fact...it only makes it a majority opinion....and this IF you are indeed in the majority. Kudos to you for not asking your students to partake in something you believe is inappropriate....but just because you think it's inappropriate doesn't make it so.

In the same way, art teachers would be careful about what works they would show their students, lit teachers are careful about what books they study, etc.
Actually, mots lit teachers are told what books they will teach/study or are given a list to choose from. As for art teachers, I'm not into painting or sculting, but I would imagine if you wanted to teach art by studying the masters in theirr field, you would study the work of the masters, whether it be nude painting, sculpting, etc. High school English books often have nude paintings in them now to represent the classical period of literature, as it's a visual reprsentation of the artistry of the time period - even though the subject is literature, not art. If you aren't referring to nudity when you say art teachers would be careful, then I may have missed your point entirely, but if not, don't you think it's odd that students are exposed to nude artwork in school in Lit classes, but NOT art classes?
I'm happy to debate the merits of artistic works, no matter how shocking or vulgar, but asking students to take part is not acceptable. And that's not just an opinion.

you have no right to force your opinion of "acceptable" on anyone accept yourself. As for students participating, none of them were forced...any one of them (pr their parents) could have objected to the show and dropped out. I'm sure there were MORE than a handful of students who would have loved to have that spot in the show.

and actually, yeah, it IS just an opinion.

Edited by Guard Diva