Northmont ... 1997

wtxcg

Really? There are all sorts of pressures to conform, and Lord knows, young people do plenty of things that are not in their best interests. But, because of pressure from their peers, an authority figure, or a combination of all the above, they may go right ahead and do it.

There's been a lot of study devoted to the development of adolescent brains and how skills like reasoning and judgment are not fully developed until the early to mid-20s. What we used to attribute to teenage hormones is now being considered under the realm of an adolescent brain that is still undergoing dramatic changes. I'll link several articles below, but one that I think is most pertinent to this discussion is an interview from a Frontline episode: Inside the Teenage Brain

Teenage Brain: A work in progress

Adolescent Brains are Works in Progress

This story focuses more on what an appropriate sentence should be for teens in the legal system, but it still makes some very valid points: Scientists say teen brain, still maturing, is key to understanding behavior

I really don't think you're giving the performers enough credit.

I firmly believe that the high school students in this activity, especially those of a world class winter guard, are much different than the average high school student. To be on a winter guard of that caliber requires (as I previously stated) skill, discipline, an overwhelming amount of responsibility and maturity (that not even most adults know) and a great understanding of what is being asked of them. I'm sure they were capable of making a well-thought-out decision as to whether or not they should participate in that program.

Also, let us not forget they did have PARENTS OR GUARDIANS (not teenagers) who also made a conscious decision to let them participate.

If you take this into account, I think it becomes quite clear why we, as adults, need to be able to make the distinction for what is appropriate "artistic expression" for a teenager.

Quite bluntly, I don't think anyone should dictate what is appropriate or inappropriate. That is simply defeating the purpose of being able to express yourself artistically.

Edited by pawn shoppe heart

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, if any performer felt that the show was crossing a line, they would have left.

And they may have had some that left; I don't know. But it's not educational to put students in that situation where they have to choose. What if you have a student that loves color guard and is really talented, but, for religious reasons, doesn't want to be in a show where she has to hang herself? She's just out of luck and can't participate?

At least if it's an independent guard, the person can always go march somewhere else. But a HS student doesn't have that option.

Quite bluntly, I don't think anyone should dictate what is appropriate or inappropriate. That is simply defeating the purpose of being able to express yourself artistically.

I think you're absolutley right in the real world. But that doesn't hold true in a school setting. The Supreme Court has decided several times that First Amendment rights are limited in schools, and that teachers and administrators have the right to censor and disallow free speech or artistic expression if they believe it to be in the best interests of the students our if the speech or expression is counter to their educational goals.

And they may have had some that left; I don't know. But it's not educational to put students in that situation where they have to choose. What if you have a student that loves color guard and is really talented, but, for religious reasons, doesn't want to be in a show where she has to hang herself? She's just out of luck and can't participate?

At least if it's an independent guard, the person can always go march somewhere else. But a HS student doesn't have that option.

That is a good point and I agree that there shouldn't be a time when a student has to choose, but it happens and it's unfortunate.

I was only debating on the content being immoral or inappropriate, because everyone's opinion on what is or isn't is different.

'was also debating on the performer's capability to choose what is in their best interest.

Ultimately, it's the director's decision on what the show will be and as we all know, there is not one program that is pleasing to everyone.

I really don't think you're giving the performers enough credit.

I firmly believe that the high school students in this activity, especially those of a world class winter guard, are much different than the average high school student.

But that's forgetting a very important aspect of winter guard: the audience. Remember, the performers are not the only ones affected by this. Sure, the guard members, themselves, are doing this in a very deconstructed fashion. But what about the audience, who may have little or no context with which to prepare themselves? And what about the different age levels in the audience? How are they supposed to process this?

These are issues that, in the desire to be known as a trailblazer, may be overlooked.

Yes, there can be a fine line with these types of things, but it is an ART. Bringing someone's religion into the equation would mean that there would be many things in other classes they would have issue with (certain literature used in classes, etc.). Even plays/musicals put on at the school could be questionable. There are even marching band shows that some consider going over the line. The list could go on and on...LIFE is full of situations in which you may be exposed to something you deem not appropriate. How do you deal with that? Or teach your children to deal with these potential situations? Regardless of what the law may say, if the school, district, parents and students involved were fine with the show...then so be it!! What may be fine in one school may not be in another.

Regardless...I LOVE that show!!!!

Edited by ItsOnTheField

Ouch my head. So much commotion over a show that happened a decade ago.

EVERYONE TAKE A DEEP BREATH

And oh who am I kidding.

But that's forgetting a very important aspect of winter guard: the audience. Remember, the performers are not the only ones affected by this. Sure, the guard members, themselves, are doing this in a very deconstructed fashion. But what about the audience, who may have little or no context with which to prepare themselves? And what about the different age levels in the audience? How are they supposed to process this?

These are issues that, in the desire to be known as a trailblazer, may be overlooked.

Now you're trailing off into something new.

Although this is not the subject that I counter-pointed, all I'm going to say is: there's no way to "prepare" to see a show. Having a close family member that was a victim to the 9/11 tragedy, I really wasn't "prepared" to watch Alter Ego's show. Hearing those beginning voice-overs and realizing what those two squares on the floor were got me really choked up and re-opened an old wound, but I'm not going to boycott it or say it's inappropriate because it makes me extremely uncomfortable and distraught.

Edited by pawn shoppe heart

Northmont 1997 had a performer "hang" herself and it was just a little too much for the activity