Northmont ... 1997

wtxcg

What was the big deal about the show? What happened afterward (staff/program)? Lots of conflicting stories I've heard over 10 years. I'm sure some of you fine folks could set the record straight... :tongue:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the big deal about the show? What happened afterward (staff/program)? Lots of conflicting stories I've heard over 10 years. I'm sure some of you fine folks could set the record straight... :tongue:

I guess my first question would be: Have you seen this show? That should answer your first question. As for the second question, you're going to get conflicting answers. . .I don't think anyone knows the 'true' story except for those who were involved in it. . .

What I will say is Northmont is one of the finest programs in the country. . .and has been for decades, after the fall out from 1997 they pushed on through some tough times, but they bounced back like any world class group would. . .and found themselves winning SO silver in 2001 and making SW finals again in 2002. They again look fantastic again this year. . .

From what I know - The school officials told the staff that they could no longer do shows like they had done in 1996 (Vietnam Memorial) and 1997 (Dante's Inferno.. aka Hell). The staff said "if we can't do the shows we want then we'll leave" and they left! Some of the staff members went to Pride, Northern Lights... I believe Tracy Wooten (the Northmont Director for years) is now with Signature in Colorado.

Well.....aside from the obvious (inappropriate content for a HS program and so on) the show was dirty. Just watch the full flag feature.

I DO know that Joe Gilbreth wrote some flag for that program... obvious silk work like 1998 Nolan.

I DO know that Joe Gilbreth wrote some flag for that program... obvious silk work like 1998 Nolan.

Hm, now that you mention that I totally see the similarities. He's had his hands in a lot of big shows.

I guess my first question would be: Have you seen this show? That should answer your first question. As for the second question, you're going to get conflicting answers. . .I don't think anyone knows the 'true' story except for those who were involved in it. . .

I was in the audience and, quietly thinking to myself the following:

• Setup time - oy!
  • I can't see anything - Yay for choosing a color scheme that my mild color blindness has problems with!
  • Free hands!!!?!?
  • It's too loud!
  • None of the adults around us are clapping, oy!
  • What on earth is that swiveling - OMFrick~!
  • Hey, it's Satan and he's ... BIG
  • It's way too loud!!
  • Tosses! Uggh!
  • None of the adults around us really aren't clapping...
  • Flags are ... wow ... uhm -- sheesh!

Oh, and I was busy giving my mom dirty looks because she had such a death grip on my bicep I thought my fingers were going to pop off one at a time. She and I just stared at each other when it was all over, in complete silence. TWENTY minutes later she finally said, "That Northmont group was really dirty." Nothing else. She won't talk about it to this day...

Personal opines out of the way, I was looking for some details on the staff pre & post. Fired or not fired? Also the program pre & post. Banned from WGI or local complications at the school/district level.

It's eleven years later guys, it's ok to talk about it.

Edited by wtxcg

I think the 97 show is quite well achieved for what the students were asked to do.. i mean, really... high school kids doing all that silk work and throwing 6's on props?? Pretty hot if ya ask me.. they should have gotten 4th place too BUT I won't drag that bag of worms out.. HAHA! It was dirty though, now that I think about it... oh well.. still hot!

I was in the audience and, quietly thinking to myself the following:
  • Setup time - oy!
  • I can't see anything - Yay for choosing a color scheme that my mild color blindness has problems with!
  • Free hands!!!?!?
  • It's too loud!
  • None of the adults around us are clapping, oy!
  • What on earth is that swiveling - OMFrick~!
  • Hey, it's Satan and he's ... BIG
  • It's way too loud!!
  • Tosses! Uggh!
  • None of the adults around us really aren't clapping...
  • Flags are ... wow ... uhm -- sheesh!

Oh, and I was busy giving my mom dirty looks because she had such a death grip on my bicep I thought my fingers were going to pop off one at a time. She and I just stared at each other when it was all over, in complete silence. TWENTY minutes later she finally said, that Northmont group was really dirty. Nothing else. She won't talk about it to this day...

Personal opines out of the way, I was looking for some details on the staff pre & post. Fired or not fired? Also the program pre & post. Banned from WGI or local complications at the school/district level.

It's eleven years later guys, it's ok to talk about it.

Well, as I posted earlier the staff left at their own accord (unless someone knows otherwise?!). The program is still amazing and has continued in making WGI finals appearances in the Open and World classes. Most of the former staff members are all scattered around. I think BUtch Ferrero worked wtih Miamisburg (??) and Joe Sowders and Tracy Wooten went to Northern Lights (formerly Everybody) and were there for several years. Daniel Riley (now at Stoneman Douglas) took over the Northmonth guard in 1999 and put them back in Scholastic Open finals.

I don't believe the guard was ever banned from anything.. their show wasn't really all that awful - just a bit unexpected at the time they did it. I think if someone did it now, it would be received in a totally different manner. They were quite ahead of their time in 1996 and 1997 with the subject matter and design (especially for a high school guard).

here's a show that "arbiter of bad taste" john waters would love!

lord knows that this meretricious show has it's rabid fans[it won't be long before they chime in] i found it's garish and tacky display strangely innapropriate for a high school[or independent guard for that matter].

it seemed to be designed purely for it's gratuitous shock value.mission accomplished.

sorry not my flavor. :tongue:

Edited by dugg

Copy that on the pre-post posting. Scanned the replies sans my spectacles and didn't catch it. As you can imagine I had heard all sorts of nonesense about that show and unit since. Honestly, I had only seen that program twice after that night, but wanted to finally get some real info on the matter.

After repeated re-re-re-watchings last night and today, I do agree with dugg - it was GE heavy... And, was intended to be GE heavy...

I mean --- it traumatized my mother. A straight-to-the-point, tough-as-nails Latina businesswoman who happened to like winterguard until that night. That's not an easy thing to do...

If a unit were to try something similar today the reception would be quite different. We do live in a post-9/11 - post-Saw/Hostel franchise world...

Sorry for the rehash for those of you who would rather do with out.

Edited by wtxcg