Northmont ... 1997

wtxcg

Really, if you're going to argue about what is acceptable and what is not... you might want to try asking the students.

I'm a high school student right now and really like that show. I would have LOVED to perform in it. Yes, it was dirty and that's part of why it didn't score better, but if you watch the WGI video with the close ups, the performers are giving it everything they have. It's amazing how into it they get, and they go all out with the costuming and hair too.

I'm also not really sure why it would be considered inappropriate for high school students to perform Dante's Inferno when many high school students are required to read the book.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there's a bit of truth in what everyone has to say, as conflicting as it all may be. Yes, they pushed the envelop. Yes, they shocked us all. Yes, there were parts of the show that, no matter how liberal your ideas of the "arts" are, were inappropriate for any modest, or not, high school color guard to be performing (i.e. the hanging). And yes, absolutely, the staff used and insane amount innovation and certainly helped shape winterguard history.

I don't think there's a reason to be catty about our opinions. You can talk them up or down as much as you want, but what are you really fighting for when the production closed over 10 years ago? It's not like any of this argument is going to change what we see on that video...

The fact that we are still discussing this 10 years later confirms that Northmont has written themselves into the history books, no matter which way you want to slice and dice it. . .some are uber critical with the design or 'overblowing' the messier parts, some are highly praising of the innovation and effect. . .whatever side you stand on. . .they still made you stand on a side and discuss it some 10+ years later. . .classic! :-)

Oh and as for the meat hook to the eye, it was at a local show. . .the group I was with was standing outside getting ready to perform after Northmont and one of their girls ran out the door with her hand over her eye. . .she ended up being fine though.

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

Sorry, but I take serious issue with that. It's true that art can be controversial, and should push boundaries and even shock sometimes. But WGI is not MOMA, and we are not putting out works for adults who are serious about art to debate and ponder. We are dealing with students, and we have a responsibility to uphold certain standards. I'm an educator (not just color guard, but in the classroom), and I would never be so irresponsible as to expose my students to something so inappropriate, much less ask them to participate in it. In the same way, art teachers would be careful about what works they would show their students, lit teachers are careful about what books they study, etc. I'm happy to debate the merits of artistic works, no matter how shocking or vulgar, but asking students to take part is not acceptable.

Yeah you can "ask them" to take part, but if the students had a REALLY big problem with it they would have quit.

Kids in high school are exposed to way more worse things in high school than that show. Drugs, Rated R movies with gratuitous violence, drinking and driving

promiscuous sex, and as I am sure you would agree that these need to be handled delicately as well, I doubt that the show would cause such trauma

and ruckus that anyone in the sport of the arts would make a big fuss to try and get it censored or DQed. But then again, maybe you would have. I dunno.

Kids today are exposed to lots of sexuality in WGI than in the past. Just look at Braddock.......I guess you don't let your kids watch that?

Edited by Musical_Spinner

I remember them ripping the skin off of a girl in the show to and blood shooting over the front sideline in prelims or am I wrong. It was a great show no matter how disturbing it mights have been.

I don't remember seeing them in Prelims, but based on the placement of the performer in proximity to the front in finals, I would doubt any "blood" would reach all the way to the front of the floor.....nor do I remember seeing anything like spurting blood, but as I said...it's been 11 years and being my first time at WGI, I was blown away by everything. (anyone else remember "triple finals?")

I guess we can all just agree to disagree. As a classroom teacher, I have a different perspective, though. If nothing else, I would never do something that might push the envelope just to protect my job. The administration would not take it lightly.

I have to agree with Jak - I would not ask my kids to perform to something so morally questionable no matter how "cool" I thought it might be. As my mother said when she saw the show (i'm pararphrasing here) "makes me wonder if any of the girls went to counseling after this... it is very depressing and would certainly affect their emotions whether they knew it then or not". I think she is right (as she tends to be). The girl who was hanged, for instance... by goodness! what a role to have.. would that be traumatic for her?? would it be something she gave no more thought to than the jazz run she probably did up the ramp to that spot?? who knows, but I wouldn't even bother to give her the chance to find out. Being morally sound and presenting things in a wholesome, uplifting manner is the way to go for high school shows ( in my opinion). I guess this is why I'm a sucker for just about every "pretty" show that's been in finals..

I do not doubt the talent of the group, nor do I despise the show itself (it is very well put together and quite a feast for GE lovers. In fact, it is among my favorite high school shows.. but it's probably at the bottom of the list due to the content.

*Note - I teach at a Christian school, so I have to be VERY careful with what we wear, what we perform to,etc... but even in public schools I would stick to the same standards*.