Countdown Vote Analysis

I made a nice spreadsheet of the results and made a JPEG but I cannot get the image attached so here is the basic information typed up again. Forgive me for doing this but I am a marketing person and this is the way I think.

These are total votes recieved in order:

Phantom - 3953

Crown - 3178

Cavies - 2990

B. Devils - 2196

Cadets - 2039

B. Coats - 1996

SCV - 1796

Souts - 937

Glassmen - 524

Spirit - 390

Crusaders -377

B. Knights - 367

Colts - 209

This is certainly a measure of popularity. Another would be paid downloads and views on the video and audio sections of DCI.org. I would love to get my hands on those statistics.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Regiment got 3 of the top 5 voted shows...that has to mean something. :) That said, Crown's been putting out some great shows and they earned that top spot!

I will say, I'm really surprised to see Cadets 05 that far up, that show just didn't do it for me, but to each their own.

I will say, I'm really surprised to see Cadets 05 that far up, that show just didn't do it for me, but to each their own.

A lot of people on this site think that way, but just goes to show that we arent exactly representative of the whole community. That said, it was one of the lower vote-getting shows to make it in, so the sentiment that cadets 05 is NOT universally loved is certainly valid...

Edited by euponitone

Yeah, Regiment got 3 of the top 5 voted shows...that has to mean something. :) That said, Crown's been putting out some great shows and they earned that top spot!

Is the voting detail posted somewhere? I would be interested in seeing that data by show.

And I agree with SteenAZ, I would love to see full year download stats, both as a measure of individual show popularity, but also to see how successful the the multimedia downloads are in general.

From a fellow chart jockey.... :ninja:

Marketing guy too...worked in research for a long time (still do)

I agree the votes show something, but it's definitely biased. I mean, Scouts only had 2 shows in there and Colts only had 1, and then you have Phantom who has 3 but they are all counted as some of their best shows. And some people voted for the same corps twice, especially alums. I personally voted for all three Blue Knights shows (and felt kind of crappy when the last show that I marched came in last!).

Either way, I'd be very curious if someone put together a survey monkey that quantified information on what people prefer in a show, what they don't, and as a result which corps they prefer and why.

Also, if anyone's interested, check out QuantCast. It's fun to lay out all of the drum corps websites side by side and see who is visiting them.

Man, am I really talking about quant on here? Is it June yet?

That said, Crown's been putting out some great shows and they earned that top spot!

I believe the only reason Crown is so high up is because of their 2007 show. Granted, many think it's a great show, and they obviously earned their possition. But I don't think their shows before 2007 would have earned them such top honors.

IMO, the votes depend heavily on the show, not to mention that it was limited to only the top 12. SCV would have been on that list had other years been available, for example. So, I don't think the "vote analysis" reveals much of anything regarding corps popularity, other than people liked these shows the most out of the top 12 shows from the last three years. Besides, people can like one show from a corps, and not like the corps much (and can love a corps, and not some of their shows).

Open up the Countdown to every show ever performed in DCI, and that would probably give a much better representation of what corps are the most popular.