2nd Annual DCA Championship

Tom, in this region we had a show that would traditionally kick off the season on the weekend prior to Memorial Day. For many years the season would extend into October in the Greater Philly area, but of course, there were over 50 class A corps in the area then.

J

HAHA ... one year the Greater New York Circuit held their Championship in OCTOBER at Downing Stadium on Randall's Island ... it actually SNOWED on two corps!!!!

:-)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHA ... one year the Greater New York Circuit held their Championship in OCTOBER at Downing Stadium on Randall's Island ... it actually SNOWED on two corps!!!!

Sunday October 8, 1961

Jamaica Plain NY Greater New York Circuit Championship Greater New York Circuit

Position Corps Score

1 Our Lady of Lourdes Cadets 82.330

2 St. Ralphaels Golden Buccaneers 80.970

3 Blue Rock 77.530

4 Dumont Police Cadets 75.260

5 Irwin Kingsmen 74.760

6 St Catherine's Marionettes 73.350

7 New Britain Grenadiers 70.310

8 Smithtown Freelancers 64.860

9 Barringer-Walker Cadets 51.510

Sunday October 3, 1965

New York NY Greater New York Circuit Championship STADIUM: Downing Stadium, Randall's Island, New York, NY Greater New York Circuit

Position Corps Score

1 St. Joseph Patron Cadets 80.366

2 Milford Shoreliners 77.016

3 Bronx Kingsmen 73.900

4 Staten Island Lawmen 73.216

5 Minisink Warriors 72.900

6 Wynn Center Toppers 68.783

7 Babylon Islanders 68.616

8 Hotshots 67.583

9 St Ann's Loyalaires 63.250

10 Smithtown Freelancers 62.816

11 Carter Cadets 61.650

12 Lindenaires 61.383

13 Little Falls Cadets 61.350

14 St. Aedens Emerald Cadets 59.366

15 Gunhill Lancers 50.566

16 St. Ignatius Girls 50.283

Wow, seeing all those old familiar names is both exciting and sad!

So many good little corps, so many good times.

They should have renamed that place Drum Corps Island.

My oldest memory of Downing Stadium is at the young age of about 14, running from the parking lot, after arriving late to a contest and hearing over the wall Garfield playing Climb Every Mountain and it was fading fast and knowing I just missed one of the great one's. #### NY traffic!!!

Sunday October 8, 1961

Jamaica Plain NY Greater New York Circuit Championship Greater New York Circuit

Position Corps Score

1 Our Lady of Lourdes Cadets 82.330

2 St. Ralphaels Golden Buccaneers 80.970

3 Blue Rock 77.530

4 Dumont Police Cadets 75.260

5 Irwin Kingsmen 74.760

6 St Catherine's Marionettes 73.350

7 New Britain Grenadiers 70.310

8 Smithtown Freelancers 64.860

9 Barringer-Walker Cadets 51.510

Sunday October 3, 1965

New York NY Greater New York Circuit Championship STADIUM: Downing Stadium, Randall's Island, New York, NY Greater New York Circuit

Position Corps Score

1 St. Joseph Patron Cadets 80.366

2 Milford Shoreliners 77.016

3 Bronx Kingsmen 73.900

4 Staten Island Lawmen 73.216

5 Minisink Warriors 72.900

6 Wynn Center Toppers 68.783

7 Babylon Islanders 68.616

8 Hotshots 67.583

9 St Ann's Loyalaires 63.250

10 Smithtown Freelancers 62.816

11 Carter Cadets 61.650

12 Lindenaires 61.383

13 Little Falls Cadets 61.350

14 St. Aedens Emerald Cadets 59.366

15 Gunhill Lancers 50.566

16 St. Ignatius Girls 50.283

A lot of Cadets in these shows,...................of course that could never happen again, as "THE Cadets" are the only ones allowed to use that name forever more....................

as well as Our Lady of the Single Valve Cadets (OLSVC).......nevermore........

who would regularly beat Our Lady of Brazen Articles Vagabonds

A lot of Cadets in these shows,...................of course that could never happen again, as "THE Cadets" are the only ones allowed to use that name forever more....................

this is great stuff. now we're all showing our age..........not me of course. :innocent:

• Like 1

gsksun4 said:

"They should have renamed that place Drum Corps Island."

Absolutely. Randall's Island was the site of many a drum corps show as well as the practice site for many NY area corps, both junior and senior. The last major show that I can recall being there was the 1976 VFW Nationals, won by the Cavaliers over Garfield, who won the prelims.

Downing Stadium was a great old place. I saw my first ever corps show there in 1962. For all those who have fond memories of the place, and don't live nearby, you may not be aware that the stadium was torn down a few years back. It has since been replaced by Icahn Stadium (as in Carl Icahn) and now is primarily for tennis and track and field, with a small, but covered grandstand. There is no longer a football/soccer field, and the grandstand is only on the east side of the field (by the bridge viaduct).

Word has it that some U.S. Olympic trials will be held there for track and field this year.

Earlier I said:

"There is no longer a football/soccer field, and the grandstand is only on the east side of the field (by the bridge viaduct)."

Happily, I'm wrong. Out of curiosity, I just did a little research, and found that there is enough infield room for a full-sized soccer field in the new Icahn Stadium, though it hasn't really been used that way yet. It's primarily been a track and field venue so far.

The new (covered) grandstand can hold 10,000 people (as opposed to a maximum of 40,00 in the old Downing 'horseshoe'). Maybe some one should look into using this new facility for a field contest. Or, how about an alumni show on Randall's Island? Ten thousand available seats, and under cover in case of rain!