2nd Annual DCA Championship

"How much is that GWB toll now dare I ask?"

My latest E-ZPass statement shows a round-trip (discounted) toll on the George Washington Bridge as $6 during off-peak hours, and $8 during peak hours. Tolls are collected only one-way, as you leave NJ. I believe they are about to go up. With the E-ZPass, I truthfully don't pay much attention to the regular cost for non-pass holders.

In '66, weren't the Conn Yankees still at Northeastern Championship? Hurcs and Sun used to me champs there, but I think they were out by '66, due to DCA membership.

I recall the '66 finals being a pretty cold night in Bridgeport.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The one that's further down is for 1967. The 3rd DCA Championship. That's Labor Day weekend. I guess there was no championship in 64."

Correct. DCA was formed after the 1963 season. The first Championship was in 1965, won by Reading (shown in that photo). Both the '65 and '66 championships were later in September, '67 was Labor Day Weekend, and I believe it's been that weekend ever since. The first championship in Rochester was 1968, the fourth such title event for DCA.

In '66, weren't the Conn Yankees still at Northeastern Championship? Hurcs and Sun used to me champs there, but I think they were out by '66, due to DCA membership.

This should clear things up.

Friday September 2, 1966

Agawam MA Northeastern Circuit Championships Finals STADIUM: Riverside Park Northeastern Circuit

Position Corps Score

1 Sunrisers 84.250

2 Marksmen 83.880

3 Connecticut Yankees 75.910

4 Wanderers 66.730

5 New Bedford Whalers 66.350

6 Fort Edward Vagabonds 61.930

7 Holy Rosary Caballeros 60.700

I guess the juniors were on the 5th and the seniors on the 2nd. in 1966.

This should clear things up.

Friday September 2, 1966

Agawam MA Northeastern Circuit Championships Finals STADIUM: Riverside Park Northeastern Circuit

Position Corps Score

1 Sunrisers 84.250

2 Marksmen 83.880

3 Connecticut Yankees 75.910

4 Wanderers 66.730

5 New Bedford Whalers 66.350

6 Fort Edward Vagabonds 61.930

7 Holy Rosary Caballeros 60.700

I guess the juniors were on the 5th and the seniors on the 2nd. in 1966.

Rain was the culprit... Both Prelims and Finals were on the 5th with a 1 1/2 hr break between them. See link below.

http://tinyurl.com/3bbgpt

"So, was this show the reason they pushed DCA back? To better fill the seats without competition from the Northeastern Circuit???"

DCA was still relatively new then, and my guess would be they simply wished to avoid conflicts with any other shows, out of courtesy, and also to insure the largest possible number of both entrants and spectators. In those days, the Northeastern Circuit was long-established, while DCA was the 'new game in town.' Very different today, of course.

Easy... they wanted the championship to be the last show of the year... prior to 1967, the season started memorial day weekend in May and went through until late September.

1967 was one of the first changes where DCA realized it may be able to get more corps to the championship if they grabbed up Labor Day Weekend... almost immediately, shows ceased in Sept. (for the most part)

My first DCA was #2... it's interesting how it happened as Cru's last show was Labor Day weekend in Syracuse - Music in Motion presented by John Laskowski had been on Labor Day prior to 1967. After that show, Cru's year was over. Brig Corps Director Charlie Ragonese called and asked me since we had no further shows to fill in for the late George Cowburn who had to leave that week for the Army and eventually Viet Nam. I agreed and did the Ansonia show the next weekend after only one rehearsal... I believe it was and DCA later that month. I stayed in Brigs through 1971 returning to Cru in 1972.

Tom, in this region we had a show that would traditionally kick off the season on the weekend prior to Memorial Day. For many years the season would extend into October in the Greater Philly area, but of course, there were over 50 class A corps in the area then.

J

Easy... they wanted the championship to be the last show of the year... prior to 1967, the season started memorial day weekend in May and went through until late September.

1967 was one of the first changes where DCA realized it may be able to get more corps to the championship if they grabbed up Labor Day Weekend... almost immediately, shows ceased in Sept. (for the most part)

My first DCA was #2... it's interesting how it happened as Cru's last show was Labor Day weekend in Syracuse - Music in Motion presented by John Laskowski had been on Labor Day prior to 1967. After that show, Cru's year was over. Brig Corps Director Charlie Ragonese called and asked me since we had no further shows to fill in for the late George Cowburn who had to leave that week for the Army and eventually Viet Nam. I agreed and did the Ansonia show the next weekend after only one rehearsal... I believe it was and DCA later that month. I stayed in Brigs through 1971 returning to Cru in 1972.