RCA DOME spells DOOM for DCI

From my e-mail exchange with DCI last week....thhey seem pretty confident that Lucas Oil WILL be completed for finals this year. They estimate getting the official confirmation within the next couple/few weeks.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to find it but, there was an anouncement by Lucas Oil officials and Dan Acheson (in press conference style) during the 2006 season from the RCA dome about Lucas being "the Home of the Championships". There was video and Carolina Crown even performed for the Lucas people at the announcement ceromony. It was even posted on the DCI website. And, during that same session is when the move of DCI to Indy was officially announce. Therefore, someone did tell us. Also, it DOES look like Lucas will be finished just in time for championships and that DCI will have the honor of being the first event to be held at Lucas. That was also discussed in the video of the announcement I believe.

Edited by Perry S

Forgive me if this topic has been discussed and rehashed, but I feel dome stadiums will be the ruin of DCI.

Add this to the long list of things that traditionalists feel will be the ruin of DCI.

Using a microwave oven will give you cancer, and so will sitting too close to a color television set.

Wanna know my opinion on what "will be the ruin of DCI?"

Failure to grow the audience by worrying so much about "what's been" that no attention is paid to "what can be."

Sheesh.

Here's a couple of more reasons for indoors:

1. No rain

2. Seats with backs!! No more squeezing contra sized rears onto a half inch number on bench seating :sad: .

(Mine takes up at least a whole row--on a good day)

3. Its only 2.5 hours from up here in NW Indiana.

Go "Kiss My Contra" Devils,

Gregg

:sad:

What about the people from Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, California.. Florida, Alabama, New Jersey, etc.. Sure it's convenient for a small percentage of people that finals is just a stone's throw away for the next 10 years, but what about the people who love the activity and are now completely removed from it for the next 10 years because of the cost to fly or the time to drive. Not fair. And what's the fun in being in the same place every August, anyways. :sad: Playing in a dome sucks, too. Glad I aged out outdoors.

...what about the people who love the activity and are now completely removed from it for the next 10 years because of the cost to fly or the time to drive...

Well, it's going to cost to fly or drive somewhere for a large number of people, no matter where the World Championships is at. That's why nobody goes to the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade anymore...it's too far away. When one watches the parade on television, those are thousands of inflatable dummies filling up the stands to look like it's full of people. Same goes for the Daytona 500. NASCAR thought of moving the Daytona 400 around the country, but it was cheaper to borrow the dummies from Pasadena each year. And don't get me started on the Calgary Stampede staying in Saskatchewan every year. How many of us have ever been to Saskatchewan? And will they listen to my advice to move it around North America so real Americans (as opposed to whatever people are called up there north of Montana) can attend it easier? NOOOOOOooooooooo.

Now, to be serious for a moment. Being in Indy is going to make it easier for the corps...and let's not forget them. They can establish places to stay and rehearse year after year without having to reinvent the wheel every year. Housing is going to be far easier than in many locations we've been at in the past.

For the rest of those who come in to see the World Championships, the Indianapolis Airport is known for its ease of flights in and out and decent prices. People won't have to stay miles away unless they want to do so. Fans will figure out where to eat and gather for other refreshments each year and will develop their own favorite places.

And we've got a city that WANTS us...big time. Not to mention the ability of closing the roof if it's raining hard. (And let's face it...we've been VERY lucky for many years. The big downpour in 1993 in Jackson didn't rain out the event, but if it stayed like that, it would have. And anyone in Kansas City the day after Finals in 1989 can attest to the to the all-day downpour, as well as those who went to the day-after DCI-DCA show in East Providence more recently...which, although not all day, created mass flooding in parts of the Boston metropolitan area.) We have dodged many weather bullets.

Indy's giving us a chance. Let's give Indy a chance.

Edited by Michael Boo

What about the people from Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, California.. Florida, Alabama, New Jersey, etc.. Sure it's convenient for a small percentage of people that finals is just a stone's throw away for the next 10 years, but what about the people who love the activity and are now completely removed from it for the next 10 years because of the cost to fly or the time to drive. Not fair. And what's the fun in being in the same place every August, anyways. :innocent: Playing in a dome sucks, too. Glad I aged out outdoors.

Thats what always bothered me about BOA being held there every year. The number of Texas/georgia bands that have the ability to be perennial finalists there can't go more than once every three years because they cant afford it. Granted drum corps are going to be traveling thousands of miles each summer anyways. I still can't wrap my head around the image of finals being in a dome.

BTW - chances are DCI will be in Bloomington this year anyway. LucasOil Stadium will not be done in time

Last thing I read was that it is going to be done in time. But you never know with the weather up there.