Awkward Moments

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Standing on the field with Blue Devils during encore at the Alamodome in '06.

I thought I had finally made friends in that corps...'til the scores were announced.

Another awkward moment in Encore was with the Madison Scouts. They had their horns up as soon as we set the arc, and didn't put them down for the next 15 or 20 minutes 'til we finally played the encore piece...after which they went to attention. I was standing next to the Euphonium players, at parade rest of course, making sure to show my appreciation for their hoss-ness.

Awkward moment any time the cadets are in an arc with a non-rippling hornline. Sometimes we talk about how to handle things, sometimes, we forget :)

After a long day of rehearsing in Northern California, one of the corps parents was awesome and bought Popsicles for the entire corps. Before we were let go from rehearsal, we surrounded our director as he was giving his final announcements about cleaning the rehearsal site up. He said something like, "Make sure you do that before you play with your popsi...er...eat your popsicles." Pause. Then I chimed in, "Awwwwwwkwarrrrd."

Being a favored vet in the corps allows one to say those kinds of things at those moments.

Dave

Anybody who marched in the Bluecoats 1998-2002 knows Oswald. Oswald lives in Texas. So one day we were practicing somewhere in Texas near his home town. We were waiting in line at the chuck truck for dinner and as per usual I was cussing like a sailor. Seriously, the filth that was coming out of my mouth was enough to make Andrew Dice Clay blush. So then I turned around and Oswald says to me, "Evan, I'd like you to meet my mother."

:tongue:

Awkward moment any time the cadets are in an arc with a non-rippling hornline. Sometimes we talk about how to handle things, sometimes, we forget :)

I never understood how the rippling hornlines did that. Do you just bring your horn up as soon as you see the person next to you do it, or is it on a specific count?

I never understood how the rippling hornlines did that. Do you just bring your horn up as soon as you see the person next to you do it, or is it on a specific count?

You do it as soon as you see the person 2 or 3 down from you flinch. Yes, it may waste a second or 2, buts its pretty hard to be tuned out of the rehearsal if you have to think 'wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait wa...BAMMM' every 5 seconds. I loved being section leader in 06, because it meant that i got to start the ripple at certain times in sectionals. Sometimes I had fun with it... :tongue:

You do it as soon as you see the person 2 or 3 down from you flinch. Yes, it may waste a second or 2, buts its pretty hard to be tuned out of the rehearsal if you have to think 'wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait wa...BAMMM' every 5 seconds.:

haha yea... they also look like crap for awhile. Watch a hornline try and ripple in December... it's painful.

Not necessarily awkward, but weird... when you march onto the field for encore with Cadets... the feet, oh the feet.

And Madison holding their horns up the entire time they are in the arc? Yikes. I am glad I did not have to experience that.

(announcing the Cadets score at some show somewhere (don't remember when))

"In ?nd place, with a score of ??.??.....THE COLT-..!...Cadets....sorry..." (yes, he actually murmured sorry)

Also, for some reason I remember in '05 standing next to cadets in encore I think. Hearing them get boo'd after the scores were announced = Very Awkward moment.

Seeing Boston almost get DQ'd for throwing elbows at us as they exited the encore arc...another awkward moment.

Half of the encore arc still not knowing where the conductor is in the stands (sometimes that sucker is hard to find), and missing the horns up gesture...awkward.

Encore is full of awkward moments! Of course, retreat was full of fun awkward moments...but they got rid of that. Most of them consisted of overly-serious horn guards and line guards, and weird attempts to 'out-vibe' us with mean looks and lowered shakos/helmets. I loved at the retreat parade hearing horns clank together from a collisions caused by multi-tasking 'vibe' attempts with staying in step - not paying attention to the people stopped in front of them. Priceless...

And Madison holding their horns up the entire time they are in the arc? Yikes. I am glad I did not have to experience that.

Having to stand next to them early season - the shaking and squirming with moans and tears of pain - was not fun. Poor guys.

Heh, yeah, encore ripple moments were always weird too. The corps I marched never did ripples, but we always tried to do them at encore if the corps we were on the field with did them. We....weren't very good at ripples.