Awkward Moments

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a good one. We were somewhere in Kansas for a rehearsal day on our way to Denver in 04. The guy I stood next to in horn arc had tried to get me to show him my boobs all summer. He and I were hanging out by our EQ truck by ourselves that day and for some reason, I decided that was the day. I gave him a quick show and immediately afterward, I see this old man on a golf cart in my peripherals and he yells in this super gruff voice, "Who's in charge here?!" My friend gives him the name of our corps director and I'm ####### myself. Our director was a total ##### and I would probably be getting in serious trouble if this old guy told him the story. Then, the guy just says, "Well, would you let him know I fixed the boards on that there truck?" So I thought for sure that the highly anticipated show had been ruined by an old Kansan on a golf cart when he was really just worried about making sure our director knew our truck was fixed.

FULL OF WIN...

Until....ya know...the old guy.

there's always that one guy who never showered who eventually is made to - now that has to be embarrassing

for me it was the first time we hit a school with no bathroom stalls and doing a righteous contra lift and splitting my lip

Awkward moment for me...and it was in front of a full finals crowd at World Championships in 1985...

There we were...all the Top 12 DMs standing on the front sideline as scores were announced in Madison. We had already claimed 7th place, but we knew that we had a very good chance of winning the high guard trophy, as our guard had been winning all season. But, as the countdown pushed on, Brandt Crocker came to the "High Auxillary" award. Santa Clara Vanguard was announced as the winner. Bummer, but life goes on. As all the other scores were announced, all of the DMs noticed quite a bit of commotion around my staff near the sidelines. Karen Ruschman from Star even asked what was up with my staff. We had no idea. Then, Shirley Whitcomb comes running down the stairs from the press box. She approaches the announcer's table where Brandt was sitting and revealed the mistake...that Spirit had the highest guard score...not SCV. At first, DCI didn't want to make the announcement...but our staff insisted that a public announcement be made so that our guard could have the recognition they deserved. So, the correction was announced. No one from DCI ever stepped forward to handle the awkward moment of receiving the trophy from SCV's DMs and bringing it to me to present it to Spirit. So, SCV's two DMs step forward after a moment of confusion, march towards me, and present me with the trophy. Wierd. They shouldn't have had to do that. It was somewhat embarassing for everyone, but DCI, who was responsible for the mistake at the time by not recognizing that a 7th place corps could indeed win a caption, never stepped up to handle it themselves. It was most definitely an awkward moment, and even though there were nearly 40K fans in the stadium witnessing this as it unfolded, no one really knew how strange and awkward it was to those of us on the sidelines.

Awkward moment for me...and it was in front of a full finals crowd at World Championships in 1985...

There we were...all the Top 12 DMs standing on the front sideline as scores were announced in Madison. We had already claimed 7th place, but we knew that we had a very good chance of winning the high guard trophy, as our guard had been winning all season. But, as the countdown pushed on, Brandt Crocker came to the "High Auxillary" award. Santa Clara Vanguard was announced as the winner. Bummer, but life goes on. As all the other scores were announced, all of the DMs noticed quite a bit of commotion around my staff near the sidelines. Karen Ruschman from Star even asked what was up with my staff. We had no idea. Then, Shirley Whitcomb comes running down the stairs from the press box. She approaches the announcer's table where Brandt was sitting and revealed the mistake...that Spirit had the highest guard score...not SCV. At first, DCI didn't want to make the announcement...but our staff insisted that a public announcement be made so that our guard could have the recognition they deserved. So, the correction was announced. No one from DCI ever stepped forward to handle the awkward moment of receiving the trophy from SCV's DMs and bringing it to me to present it to Spirit. So, SCV's two DMs step forward after a moment of confusion, march towards me, and present me with the trophy. Wierd. They shouldn't have had to do that. It was somewhat embarassing for everyone, but DCI, who was responsible for the mistake at the time by not recognizing that a 7th place corps could indeed win a caption, never stepped up to handle it themselves. It was most definitely an awkward moment, and even though there were nearly 40K fans in the stadium witnessing this as it unfolded, no one really knew how strange and awkward it was to those of us on the sidelines.

That's a cool story. And yeah, that makes me wonder why DCI officials didn't hand you guys the trophy. It's not like it was a life threatening mistake. I'm glad you guys won though!

Once with Madison, we were eating lunch inside the school to get out of the sun, and as we finished eating we were one by one gathering by the door, waiting to go back out in the heat til just before rehearsal started. Well, the only female with the corps, a guard instructor, had been sitting there by the door talking with a few of the guys, and as others wandered over, they start listening to her as well. As she finishes one story, someone would ask her another question and she'd start talking about that subject. The group of guys she's talking to gets bigger and bigger as more guys wander over and start listening. Soon she's telling stories and answering questions to almost the whole corps. It was like it was a huge Q&A with the guard instructor.

So, she finishes answering one question, looks around at her now huge audience, and jokingly says "any other questions?". A mello player then shouts out "length or girth?". Of course, being a bunch of guys, we found it hilarious and were cracking up as she blushed beet red.

BTW, her answer: "it doesn't matter, as long as you know how to use it!"