Methods of Madness

The 5 minute Mark-Time at the END of rehearsal. Whole Corps in a big circle elbow to elbow. Start of 5 minutes with a HIGH mark-time. Anyone not lifting their knee all the way? Stop and start the 5 minutes all over. Someone looking around? Stop and start the 5 minutes all over. Someone dropping their arms or elbows? Stop and start the 5 minutes all over. After the "5" minutes someone moves at the Halt? Start the 5 minutes all over.

I recall going over a half hour of non-stop mark time and being totally DEAD by the end. Pure torture, but what the heck, we couldn't complain about the end product.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the ingredients of the worst punishment most positive reinforcement I've ever received:

-Tenor line

-Triplet roll exercise

-Dr. Beat set to 180 bpm

-Asphalt track

-July

We had to crab step one lap left, and one lap right.

Similar experience: 1988, somewhere in Michigan, asphalt track, Jay Webb, SEVERAL miles around and around and around...

If Phil sees this he probably remembers exactly how miles it was.

We did High Mark Time at midnight in our PJ's when I was marching D3 cause the 12 yr olds wouldn't shut up and go to sleep in the gym. Us older kids got ######. The next day, said 12 year olds ended up in Dumpster.

At Crown.....you see that tree....NO NO, THAT ONE WAAAAAY OUT THERE! Go tell that tree why you can't do it right! RUN!

Crossmen, last year, brass rehearsal. If you're not at set (attention) you're at standby. You're only allowed to relax when the staff tells you to relax, and then have to get back in (to standby) as fast as possible. We were probably given about 10 minutes of relaxation time for every hour of rehearsal. Outside of that time, you aren't allowed to move. Day 1 of this experiment: you move, scratch your head, adjust your glasses, swat at a fly, fiddle with your valves, adjust your hat, move your leg, you run a mile after rehearsal Any extraneous movement at any time throughout the three hour block = one mile. Goldberg sat there with a notepad taking names down. Day 2, same rules, you run a mile and a quarter. Day 3, mile and a half. Day 4, mile and three quarters. I think we stopped after Day 5, but I do remember someone having to run two miles.

Similar story: tracking block in horn rehearsal. You make a mental error, go an extra phrase, take an extra step, stop too soon, you run a lap (around a track... one lap = 1/4 mile). Next person that messes up runs two laps. Next person after that, three. Someone eventually had to run two miles, but I think rehearsal ended before it could get much worse.

I'm not saying it was the most effective technique. I'm just saying.

Edited by TSRTS13

We did High Mark Time at midnight in our PJ's when I was marching D3 cause the 12 yr olds wouldn't shut up and go to sleep in the gym. Us older kids got ######. The next day, said 12 year olds ended up in Dumpster.

At Crown.....you see that tree....NO NO, THAT ONE WAAAAAY OUT THERE! Go tell that tree why you can't do it right! RUN!

This I remember well. Many times, usually in the earlier camps. By the time tour comes it was - less frequent.

Sounds like boot camp a little.

Actual boot camp story - hey we were drill company (drum and bugle corps) so it counts.

Chief Holt had us doing push ups (something was awry on the barracks inspection) . . .

He said, "I'm going to have you doing push ups until the windows are steamed up, and then your going to keep doing them until

they drip." And he did, and we did.

I think that was, in fact effective, because we didn't have very many of those type of sessions.

July.

Somewhere in the Mid West.

Grass mid-shin.

Tom Aungst chasing the batterie with a cowbell and stick.

42 counts of drill... 200+ bpm.

seconds...

"AGAIN"

42 counts of drill... 200+ bpm

minutes...

"RUN IT BACK, LADIES"

~pause for effect~

"AGAIN"

hours...?

I'm told '90 Sky Ryders did block drill, 8 forward and 8 back for 1/2 hour straight. Wore lines into the field so deep that (again, I was told this) when the corps stayed at the same school the next year, the bald lines in the grass were still there.

THe drum line was talking while the visual guys were working with the hornline. Drum line ended up tracking for about 3 hours. through grape vineyard... Not through the paths in the middle. through the bushes and plants. THe line game was always fun too. Start on the goal line run to the 5 run back run to the 10 back, 15, etc. only had to do that a couple times. made it to the 30 though... not fun...