Quick Thoughts

Guardguy89

But shouldn't you also attempt to educate the audience as to what can be effective? You don't need an ensemble flag feature to have GE in the show.

Fantasia's show this past year was FULL of GE, and not one single flag. San Jose Raiders' Bolero full of GE-- no flags. Northern Lights "Imagine" show-- most effective GE moments? The body statement section of the show (imo).

Other than some of their tricks, I don't really think Fantasia's show had the same kind of GE that appeals to an audience that Northern Lights 2006 did. It certainly appealed to judges and more accomplished instructors/designers, but I don't think their show successfully educated the audience as to what was effective - I would say that at least half of the audience was left scratching their head about that 99.5.

Northern Lights' GE was more obvious and translated well to less experienced audience members and even to people who don't participate in the activity (but I would agree that the body statement was the most effective GE moment).

**Don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying one is better than the other, I just think they are different.**

And back to flag features, isn't the WOW factor more about excellence than design? While we can all agree that the use of flag feature is nothing new or original, we all know how much time goes into cleaning one. As an audience, it's hard to not appreciate a near-flawless one.

Edited by colorguardboy86

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But shouldn't you also attempt to educate the audience as to what can be effective? You don't need an ensemble flag feature to have GE in the show.

Sure, but again, a judge doesn't have to hammer a guard in score in order to "educate" either the guard or the audience. Unless it's an element that's mandated on the sheets, the absence of an ensemble flag feature, while something I still enjoy, shouldn't be counted as a score deduction. If the point of that is to "educate" the guard, that's what the judges' tapes -- and, ostensibly, critique -- are for.

On the flipside, sometimes the idea of "educating" the audience can be taken too far, and a show is so esoteric that it utterly fails to resonate with the audience. IMO, that's not a good thing because guards are supposed to be performing for the audience too, not just the judges. So it's a delicate balance to maintain. Personally, I'm a sucker for basically anything done in unison, whether it be flags, weapons or choreography (but especially equipment work). Does that make me old school? Sure, guilty as charged. But those unison moments are terrific exclamation points for any program, no matter how simple or deep.

Edited by byline

And back to flag features, isn't the WOW factor more about excellence than design? While we can all agree that the use of flag feature is nothing new or original, we all know how much time goes into cleaning one. As an audience, it's hard to not appreciate a near-flawless one.

Bravo!

On the flipside, sometimes the idea of "educating" the audience can be taken too far, and a show is so esoteric that it utterly fails to resonate with the audience. IMO, that's not a good thing because guards are supposed to be performing for the audience too, not just the judges. So it's a delicate balance to maintain. Personally, I'm a sucker for basically anything done in unison, whether it be flags, weapons or choreography (but especially equipment work). Does that make me old school? Sure, guilty as charged. But those unison moments are terrific exclamation points for any program, no matter how simple or deep.

I so agree with that Sue - I think sometimes designers push the notion of "educating the audience" too far. Sure we need to push the boundaries and explore - but you want to do it in a "safe environment" too. I believe that there needs to be a balance.

Later,

Mike