Quick Thoughts

Guardguy89

Color as theme peaked in 1987... Black Hawks. Well at least for those of us who are just young enough to have seen it live.

And even there, it seemed that Miller's took an idea that was introduced by Quasar several years before (I'm thinking it was 1983). I actually enjoyed where San Jose Raiders (also 1987) took that same idea. Their theme was more along the lines of dreaming, but what they did with weaving those long strips of different-colored pastels together at the end blew everyone else away . . . including Miller's Blackhawks. But Miller's had the better execution (as they often did).

IMO, Erte did the best exploration of that concept in 1985.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12) Corona's performer's are simply fearless - they amaze me. I think I'd just break down and run away after one rehearsal there!!!!

Feel free to add your own!

Later,

Mike

LOL - now Mike, if I remember correctly (from Mikes' Brigadiers 2003 top 10 list) the answer is: I'm not doing that toss because it's windy, and I'm old!!!

Hope you didn't have to seek out the Canadian Embassy in Dayton!!!

I miss ya Mikey!!!

It was completely a fluke. They got a little "creative" one rehearsal weekend when the designer was out of town. Being the old softy that I am, I let them play a little bit, and soon they were doing it after retreat at local shows and other groups were asking to learn it. By the end of the season, there were quite a few guards who would all pile together to dance at the end of each show. The kids FLIPPED when they heard "Low" start after Finals retreat....it was a perfect end to their season!!

There's a fun video of them from the weekend they made it up on our MySpace page..... http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=...ideoid=27526377

Awesome.

It'd be cool if wgi sent out the song they planned on playing at retreat aloing with a video and everyone could do it.

I am surprised no one mentioned PR and the fact that they came out in Black unis that I think were velvet. They only had them on to set up the floor. I know Adam LOVES costume changes but thats decadent. I love him!

K

Did anyone else notice how clean all the SO guards were??? I mean, seriously.... it was insane. I can't wait to get the DVD!!

LOL - now Mike, if I remember correctly (from Mikes' Brigadiers 2003 top 10 list) the answer is: I'm not doing that toss because it's windy, and I'm old!!!

Hope you didn't have to seek out the Canadian Embassy in Dayton!!!

I miss ya Mikey!!!

Hey Jenn - I only look for Canadian embassies when I've been kidnapped by American corps and forced to practice with a hangover :sad:

And I'm not too sure my brand of humor would fly as well with Corona :sad:

Later,

Mike

Hey Jenn - I only look for Canadian embassies when I've been kidnapped by American corps and forced to practice with a hangover :sad:

Later,

Mike

I TOTALLY remember that day!

Later,

Mike

I am surprised no one mentioned PR and the fact that they came out in Black unis that I think were velvet. They only had them on to set up the floor. I know Adam LOVES costume changes but thats decadent. I love him!

K

What about the fact that they had an extra black tarp to cover up any beige that would been seen backstage :)?

Funny thing overheard during IA finals......

A friend found me to tell me that he overheard folks talking during our finals run that we shouldn't be allowed to compete in Independent A because we "stole" the color guard program from Northgate High School. Apparently, they felt we took kids from a high school program to create our independent unit and that we were breaking a WGI policy in doing so.

I actually have it on pretty good authority that the band director is just fine with our program using kids from Northgate High School......since he's my husband!! We've both been at the school since the day the doors opened in 1996. I still teach the high school program, started a 2nd guard program with our younger kids this year, and also teach math at the high school every day. We actually changed the program to Independent in 2005 to help out kids from another school in our county and allow them to participate when their winter guard was dissolved. We did find it sort of funny........I mean, how do you steal from yourself? :sad:

In a week of fun, great shows and more wonderful memories than I can count, I guess there are still some folks out there who need to stir up a little drama wherever they can. Sorry guys.......it won't work this time! All's well in Northgate land! :sad:

Get it Gin

for not letting the haters get to you!

I saw you guys at finals and I thought you all were wonderful, good job with those kids.

I was gonna introduce myself but I had to get with my group.

Good luck next season!