Just Thinking

Agreed. And I would add that if the corps is not in a position to handle such expenses, then it would be difficult to prove the group to be financially solvent. I'm sure that is at least one part of what is looked at when determining if a new or returning group should be allowed to take the field.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But isn't that the exact point of everything? To keep the human element in it... all "media presentations" aside, an on site evaluation of the entire situation by a person of Vic's credentials is best. He knows what a corps should look like on April 19th. this is and should be a very PERSONAL evaluation.

EXACTLY !

Plus the "Live" person can help answer any questions and give pointers on how to Improve on things that may be border line, right on the spot. Someone that has the experience of someone like Vic. Someone who has the "Been There. Done That". The "Here's How".

All in ADVANCE of the final DCA approval vote!

Tommy

But isn't that the exact point of everything? To keep the human element in it... all "media presentations" aside, an on site evaluation of the entire situation by a person of Vic's credentials is best. He knows what a corps should look like on April 19th. this is and should be a very PERSONAL evaluation.

We had our evalution take place in March. The demands put on a organization in our activity are substantial. I believe the evalution process to be a valid means to support both the corps and the association.I spent most of the weekend discussing

other issues relating to DCA and not just the Grenadiers.

Some issues I was a little rusty on and was happy to garner the info first hand. In the end it is only fair that if this is due process then everyone should be involved.

Cheers Don

I have no problem with keeping the human element involved. But is it really fair from a competition stand point, if corps A pays X to be evaluated, corps B pays 5x's X to be evaluated, based merely on how convienent they are to the evaluator(s)? It's rough enough having to allocate 2x to 6x's more of your season towards travel than your peers, and the expense of that. But to also get zinged with evaluations costs. If it's an organization thing, then let the organization (DCA) foot that bill. Surely there's some sort of general fund for stuff like that. What happens if the corps fails the evaluation, does the corps get their evaluation expense back? Is the next evaluation free?

I guess there's the financial solidarity aspect. But $50 per member can make the difference between 39 members on the field and 25. Especially in non local regions where the commitment challenge to even think about being a DCA corps is a Major undertaking. To the tune of several hundred dollars per member. $500 may not sound like much, but that's the difference between one more bugle on the field, or one more tin can.

First off... I was never paid and the corps were never charged when I did it... If someone is way far away... it's fair to charge expenses only... I doubt that Sun Devils were billed anything...

Not to get cynical... but with Diesel fuel at $4.50 a gallon and probably hitting $5.00 by June - all corps have a much bigger problem than paying travel expenses for someone to evaluate a new corps...

This has been beat to death... Evaluations are good... New corps are good... Old corps returning is good... I hope all these corps are represented at next Saturday's spring DCA meeting... This is the draw for position meeting... So, much information will be finalized then.

I guess there's the financial solidarity aspect. But $50 per member can make the difference between 39 members on the field and 25. Especially in non local regions where the commitment challenge to even think about being a DCA corps is a Major undertaking. To the tune of several hundred dollars per member. $500 may not sound like much, but that's the difference between one more bugle on the field, or one more tin can.

Sounds like the same rhetoric that used to come out of the DivIII juniors from the midwest. My grandfather used to say, "if you can't run with the big dogs in the tall grass, stay on the porch and pee pee with the puppies."

I'm all for having more corps competing in DCA... but the difference between 25 on the field and 39 is the difference between a regular mini-corps and a supersized mini corps. That ain't drum corps, imho.

:tongue:

Edited by EndzoneEric

Thank you!

Personal attacks have been removed from this thread - please keep the discussion on-topic. Private discussions can be had using our Private Message feature.

Thanks,

Mike

Yeah, let's keep this civil. DCA South is all good.

Yeah, let's keep this civil. DCA South is all good.

I give your post a 10!!!!!!! :tongue:

I don't know what the personal attacks were or who they were aimed at.I missed all the good stuff.

Evaluations are just that.Evaluations.Its going to have no effect on the scores come labor day so no one really needs to sweat it.A bad evaluation is not going to change anyones pay grade in this activity.

Vic is a stand up guy and I have every confidence in his ability to give a fair evaluation.

Yall play nice now. :ninja:

Edited by camel lips