"Worst" Uniform changes

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I tend to agree....she looked MUCH more appealing in the 96 uni than the 97 (more intimidating, too)

Yup, I felt they worked too hard to make her look like a "babe" in '97 . . . which, of course, is going to appeal to a certain contingent. But I didn't think it worked very well with Phantom's image, and I agree with you; I preferred her '96 uniform because it gave her more of an air of authority. The '97 uniform looked more like a guard outfit.

Go watch their '87 show- you'll get your wish.

Exactly. Phantom's '87 show is one of my all-time favorites, and one reason is because of their beautifully effective use of white on the field.

• 4 weeks later...
Glassmen 93 wins this contest hands down.

But Magin in 98 and 99 deserves special mention. Amazing how they took an already reviled uni, made it worse, then replaced it with one that was no better.

The original Magic Uniform in 1990 and '91 were horrible. Black and gray with the exception of a "thing" attached to their coat that looked like they raided the gem stone auction or a local craft store. Correct me if I'm wrong about any details surrounding their uniform, but I think it was not a good look for them.

Wasn't the idea that they looked like they were in a black and white movie?
The first year they had the black unis (88?), their opener (regardless of what the DCI site says) was "That Old Black Magic".

Oh, come on! I have a really great visual in mind that would work great with.

Anyways, my bottom 5:

92 Phantom Regiment...blue...not good.

Um, actually, that's about it. Although the whole disco era looked pretty awful from pictures I've seen. Don't know if that is due to the unis or the...hair do's. Wow. Edit: I should clarify...disco era...ALL corps, not PR specifically.

Edit: Oh...one word: MOCHA!!

Sorry to bash on PR every now and then. I guess you only criticize the one you love in this case. But to be fair, the all-white in 06 was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life! I would love nothing better than to see the corps do a show in solid white--no color! Oh, did I mention that I've got the one for it???

Does 1987 count?

The original Magic Uniform in 1990 and '91 were horrible. Black and gray with the exception of a "thing" attached to their coat that looked like they raided the gem stone auction or a local craft store. Correct me if I'm wrong about any details surrounding their uniform, but I think it was not a good look for them.

I actually always liked those. It was a very clean look, with the black pants and turtleneck and the gray open jacket on top. I believe those were donated waiter's jackets that they stuck giant lapels on and then went crazy with the "Bedazzler" and applied rhinestones and sequins all over. That was a bit much, but it was certainly sparkly from a distance. The "broach" in the middle was cheap, but sorta cool.

Wasn't there a black hood that covered the sides of the face and went under the shako too? They ditched those later, but with the black plumes, which not many others were using at the time, it made for a mysterious look.

In '93 those same jackets suffered a sad fate when they were sprayed with purple paint, through pieces of lace, to give them this blotchy appearance. It was like Martha Stewart had taken LSD and tried to faux-finish everyone. The next year they got rid of them for ones made from actual purple fabric, that they kept until the infamous "those weren't the Glassmen's! Yes they were!" creme tops.

I actually always liked those. It was a very clean look, with the black pants and turtleneck and the gray open jacket on top. I believe those were donated waiter's jackets that they stuck giant lapels on and then went crazy with the "Bedazzler" and applied rhinestones and sequins all over. That was a bit much, but it was certainly sparkly from a distance. The "broach" in the middle was cheap, but sorta cool.

Wasn't there a black hood that covered the sides of the face and went under the shako too? They ditched those later, but with the black plumes, which not many others were using at the time, it made for a mysterious look.

In '93 those same jackets suffered a sad fate when they were sprayed with purple paint, through pieces of lace, to give them this blotchy appearance. It was like Martha Stewart had taken LSD and tried to faux-finish everyone. The next year they got rid of them for ones made from actual purple fabric, that they kept until the infamous "those weren't the Glassmen's! Yes they were!" creme tops.

Funny thing about the 84 tops....great color, but it looked like the corps got mugged atg an upolstery convention!

• 3 weeks later...

Iconic uniforms:

Cadets

BAC

Blue Stars pre-2007

That said, I don't think the new Blue Star uniform is necessarily the worst but it is certainly the most disappointing for me.

It's just too "gimmicky". With so many changes happening in DCI (most of which I embrace), there are somethings that should remain sacred.