Does anybody read dci.org anymore

I like this iteration of DCI.org better than the last, but I think it suffers from a bit of information overload. I'm running 1600x1280, so it's really not too bad, but I imagine most people are running at lower resolutions.

I think that if they cut out the bottom rectangle (store, countdown, fan network, et al.) in the main content area the site would be easier on the eyes. Right now it's difficult to tell where the focus is supposed to be.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this iteration of DCI.org better than the last, but I think it suffers from a bit of information overload. I'm running 1600x1280, so it's really not too bad, but I imagine most people are running at lower resolutions.

I think that if they cut out the bottom rectangle (store, countdown, fan network, et al.) in the main content area the site would be easier on the eyes. Right now it's difficult to tell where the focus is supposed to be.

Bingo. And that means epic failure for any type of information design. Without a meaningful path for the eye to follow, any type of information display becomes less effective. It's an example of a little gestalt principle called symmetry that any good designer would be best to keep in mind. In a textbook for webpage design, DCI's front page belongs in a box with a big red "x" through it. I implore them to get some help. I honestly try not to go there unless I have to. It's oftentimes easier to just put a search phrase in google with quotation marks around it and restrict the search to dci.org

I tend to look at DCI.org and then come here for reactions. My biggest beef with DCI.org is that it's entirely one-way. There was the "DCInteract" thing for a bit, but that seems to have gone by the wayside.

Bingo. And that means epic failure for any type of information design. Without a meaningful path for the eye to follow, any type of information display becomes less effective. It's an example of a little gestalt principle called symmetry that any good designer would be best to keep in mind.

Lance -- maybe you can barter them for some good tix in return for some architecture consultation.

Edited by EndzoneEric

Yeah, Mike's pretty cool! But Mike would be pretty cool writing for DCW or DCP, too. DCI could outsource him, which would actually free him up to ask some really meaty questions, being that he has so much inside scoop!

Any thoughts, Mike? Don't wanna get you flayed or fired or anything.

I love lamp.

No way I'm bringing that Boo guy on the team. He's way too controversial and opinionated. :tongue:

No way I'm bringing that Boo guy on the team. He's way too controversial and opinionated. :tongue:

How long will it take for me to live down my suggestions to put judges on Segways and send protesters of new policies to North Korean re-education camps?

Oh, you should have read his DCW column from the '80s/'90s ... I think DCI bought him just so he'd stop pissing-off humor-disadvantaged corps directors who didn't get the concept of satire.

... Dig up a copy of "Dreams of Perspire". It was a classic.