Modern day drumline warmups

maybe that's why their drum break was torn at every single entrance last year at finals? hmm...

Maybe they ticked (no tears for the record, just ticks) because they were adding players one by one into an accelerating roll pattern with a ridiculous amount of simultaneous body demand?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they ticked (no tears for the record, just ticks) because they were adding players one by one into an accelerating roll pattern with a ridiculous amount of simultaneous body demand?

wiggling left and right isn't ridiculous, and it's not anything i haven't seen high school drumlines do.

honestly, each player's entrance was fracked, and apparently one of them just didn't come in when it was his turn, and just stood there. i mean, maybe it's just me, but i don't expect that kind of thing on finals night, i don't expect it from the blue devils, and i don't expect it to win a drum trophy. and i don't expect a triplet-based roll pattern for a drum break to win a drum trophy either, especially not when phantom's running around doing transitional flams and such in a much longer drum break, but that's a different issue i suppose...

Kekkles, two things:

1) watch the sticking. It's a bit more complex than you make it out to be

2) you might have to explain what a "transitional flam" is, because i've never heard of it. in fact, I just googled it, and the only thing that came up was a paper on the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics site, which casts some serious doubt on your credibility

Bob Dole...definitely. He wrote hugga dugga burrr while at Golden Lancers.

Donny

wiggling left and right isn't ridiculous, and it's not anything i haven't seen high school drumlines do.

honestly, each player's entrance was fracked, and apparently one of them just didn't come in when it was his turn, and just stood there. i mean, maybe it's just me, but i don't expect that kind of thing on finals night, i don't expect it from the blue devils, and i don't expect it to win a drum trophy. and i don't expect a triplet-based roll pattern for a drum break to win a drum trophy either, especially not when phantom's running around doing transitional flams and such in a much longer drum break, but that's a different issue i suppose...

Well said! :glare::smile::glare:

Kekkles, two things:

1) watch the sticking. It's a bit more complex than you make it out to be

2) you might have to explain what a "transitional flam" is, because i've never heard of it. in fact, I just googled it, and the only thing that came up was a paper on the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics site, which casts some serious doubt on your credibility

eh, "transitional flams" is essentially a made up term on my part to describe what i saw to myself. hang on, let me find the video so i can describe it to you...

ok, youtube "2007 phantom regiment drumline parking lot" and it should be the first video. it will have the word "solo" in the video description. now, watch the snares at around the 1:47 - 1:50 mark.

like i said, it's essentially a personal term, but there it is. and i'm not saying that those few seconds of drumming blew everything else bd had out of the water, but those few seconds (among other areas) did make me laugh because i was so impressed... no part of bd's warm up of a drum break did that for me.

EDIT: youtube "bluedevils drumline vic firth promo #3"

those are triplet rolls, no ifs ands or buts about it. i'm just... not impressed. in addition, if you keep watching the video, you can see that their mark time has a lot of individual inconsistencies. i can spot a couple of instances where someone is just plain old out of step.

Edited by Kekkles

those seemed like just straight flams to me, in the Phantom video (blazin' fast, but still flams)

I think what made the BD solo so good was the actual performance of it on the field. Watching a video of just the line warming up with it doesn't have the same effect on me as watching the full corps on the field, all doing the same body work, etc.

yeah, i realized about half an hour ago how non-impressive that is if i just point out flams, but you beat me here before i could edit >_<

what most impresses me is not the flams per se, it's how smooth they are during the transition from the right to left hand, plus the fact that those flams were super clean across the line.

yeah, i realized about half an hour ago how non-impressive that is if i just point out flams, but you beat me here before i could edit >_<

what most impresses me is not the flams per se, it's how smooth they are during the transition from the right to left hand, plus the fact that those flams were super clean across the line.

Alhough "I Believe" the Blue Devils were the clear winners this year in DCI I will agree than Phantom had the better drumline.