Increased Corps Size

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the chart i saw when i opened up the page said exactly what i said...

Um no, the chart didn't exactly say what you said & I don't recall mentioning any chart in my comment. Basically, you were trying to correct me & dazzle DCP with your 'expert' knowledge on a topic you're apparently currently learning about... :tongue:

The point is that I was talking about "loudness" and you were not. You were talking about "intensity", which I guess is actually physical quantity of sound???? These are two different things.

Here's the quote from the University of South Wales that I was quoting when forming my initial comments YOU corrected:

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/musFAQ.html#loud

Sound level in dB is a physical quantity and may be measured objectively. Loudness is a perceived quantity and one can only obtain measurements of it by asking people questions about loudness or relative loudness. (Of course different people will give at least slightly different answers.) Relating the two is called psychophysics. Psychophysics experiments show that subjects report a doubling of loudness for each increase in sound level of approximately 10 dB, all else equal. So, roughly speaking, 50 dB is twice as loud as 40 dB, 60 dB is twice as loud as 50 dB, etc.

Basically, this backs up what I said initially before you corrected me. I know that there's a difference between the two. That's why I looked up the current expert opinion on the topic.

Oh, and I like Phantom Regiment. They are LOUD and INTENSE!

Edited by jjeffeory

:thumbdown::tongue: :tongue: :tongue::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I don't think any of those issues would be that much of a problem. After all, DC does tend to get the best of the best and all of that.

The tuning, blend, etc must be easier with the Multi-key instruments than it was with G instruments. Tuning and blend are part of the normal course of a season, etc...

We've all seen or been in groups (marching bands) that are larger than 150. It's doable. I think the real issue is that we wouldn't see THAT much of a benefit over a hornline too much larger than what is used now unless we doubled the size to generate more decibels. I think that roughly speaking, 50 dB is twice as loud as 40 dB, 60 dB is twice as loud as 50 dB, etc. This is at least perceived sound. Apparently, there is a difference between perceived loudness and actually doubling of sound... It would still be cool to see a 96 person hornline, 29 percussion, 25 guard corps....

actually, an increase of ten decibels means that the sound is ten times as intense (10 db = 10, 20 db = 100, get it?)

You are both right in a way, but let's look at it this way. To use your terminology, in order to go another 10dB for a corps would require 10 times the intensity from the members, but would only seem twice as intense to the audience.

guard

44!!!

if anyone has differing info, plz lemme know...grazie

Does anyone know the average size of colorguard right now? I"m thinking 44 colorguard is way too many IMO.

Colorguards average around 30, right? So, it would seem they maybe added a few to the brass and pit, and the remainder to the guard. Seems pretty reasonable to me, and I'm a brass guy. It's not like either the brass or battery were having problems producing enough sound...