1975 DCI Open Class Finals

I know there are some on here who marched that night. To all of you I want to say thank you all for that wonderfull Aug. night in Philly. My seats were anywhere on the 50 yard line on the backside. The price was right. They were free. This was where Corps members could watch the show for free. The Corps I used to get a hot dog on. None, I ran out of money a day or two before the Show. LOL LOL This last Saturday I seen the 75 Finals from the front side for the first time in 33 years. Watching this Show brought back very good memories. The best memory for me was SCV playing Send In The Clowns during their warm-ups to the back side. Watching SCV marching onto the starting line during Madison's closer The Way We Were. To me it looked like some of the Scout's Guard came close to SCV on the starting line. :blink: I know Madison Scouts won Prelims yet SCV went on last. Was that because they won in 74?

The Fans in the stands were off the hook. Remember, there was no internet or nothing like that back in the day. It was DCW and word to mouth. There were a lot of local Shows so Fans did not have to travel long ways to see a good Show. For some that night (like me) this was the first time that we seen some of the Drum and Bugle Corps that night. We heard about them and their cool Drill moves and knew when they were going to come in the Show but never in person until that Aug. night in Philly. Standing O after Standing O. :blink::blink:

Here are some of my thoughts about that night. What I can remember after 33 years and the help of video. I will post more later. First off I would like to talk about the Rifle Lines. Can you say EXPOSURE. No Corps hid their Rifle Lines. It seemed they were front and center all the time. I say this with much love and respect. You all were very hardcore. There is no smiling in the Rifle Line. :worthy::worthy: Very spot on. You could tell the Fans that night were holding their breaths on every spin and throw and catch. When the catch was made or missed the Fans would let you know by their reactions. By the reactions of the Fans that night few missed their spins or catches. :worthy::worthy: I know many will disagree with me but to me and me only the Top 5 Rifle Lines were, in no order 27th, BD, SCV, Troopers, and Madison Scouts. More tomorrow.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Madison Scouts won Prelims yet SCV went on last. Was that because they won in 74?

Yes - DCI used that tradition for many years - perhaps until 1987. The defending champ had the choice to go on last, or in the order of their prelim score. In 1974, SCV, who actually came in third in prelims, and were defending champs fro 1973, opted to go on third to last - pushing the Kingsmen and Scouts to perform their best. Their strategy paid off well.

I know many will disagree with me but to me and me only the Top 5 Rifle Lines were, in no order 27th, BD, SCV, Troopers, and Madison Scouts. More tomorrow.

Well - I'll disagree. 27th was awarded the Color Guard trophy - no one else was close.

This last Saturday I seen the 75 Finals from the front side for the first time in 33 years.

Where the heck were you Saturday that you saw 75 Finals?

I watched almost all of '75 DCI in a bus going to a parade Saturday AM.

Saw Anaheim Kingsmen at 2007 DCI on the way home.

Who sez parade/standstill corps folks don't know how to entertain themselves. :blink:

Well - I'll disagree. 27th was awarded the Color Guard trophy - no one else was close.

Hmmm :worthy: . Well, considering the fact that SCV took a perfect 30 in GE, I'd say that our guard did come into the "range" of close to 27th :blink:

Madisons Guard wasn't too shabby either! :blink:

Hmmm :worthy: . Well, considering the fact that SCV took a perfect 30 in GE, I'd say that our guard did come into the "range" of close to 27th :blink:

Madisons Guard wasn't too shabby either! :blink:

With absolutely no disrespect intended Maggie - I love and respect SCV.

I would trade our top GE score in 1980, for a ring. And the truth is, "guard" scores were not part of the overall score, but a 2 point side score as you know. And, weren't our double flags twice as nice? It was something to "celebrate" :worthy:

Yes - DCI used that tradition for many years - perhaps until 1987. The defending champ had the choice to go on last, or in the order of their prelim score...

My memory has 1989 being the first year that the defending champion didn't automatically go on last in finals.

My memory has 1989 being the first year that the defending champion didn't automatically go on last in finals.

"Champ on Last, Defending":

The Santa Clara Vanguard elected NOT to go on last as defending champion in 1974. They had finished third in prelims behind the Anahiem Kingsmen and Madison Scouts. They competed in their prelim order of finish, preceeding Anahiem & Madison.

The strategy paid off, as they upset both corps in finals, and retained their Championship.

Elphaba

With absolutely no disrespect intended Maggie - I love and respect SCV.

Right back atcha LancerLegend :tongue:

I would trade our top GE score in 1980, for a ring. And the truth is, "guard" scores were not part of the overall score, but a 2 point side score as you know. And, weren't our double flags twice as nice? It was something to "celebrate" :tongue:

You're correct to a point. There was not a "separate" guard score during the early '70s though. We were only considered a part of the overall GE Visual score which was 10 points. It looks like, (after checking Corpsreps), that the separate 2 point guard score was added in '78. Which made sense considering how the equipment changed, and the work expanded. It seemed that the Corps and judging community were finally starting to focus more on the guard as a separate entity and not just in a "supporting role" on the field.

SCV and 27th were the only Corps to receive a perfect 10 in GE Visuals in '75 so I'm not sure where you come up with a "comparative" score for the guards to support your statement. I'm thinking that it was a subjective vote by the judges to award 27th with Best Guard. It's great that real innovation and hard work was truly rewarded. Nothing could compare to the sight of those double flags encircling the Corps during "Danny Boy". Talk about tears!

Anyway, sorry for the knee jerk reaction to your "no one else was close" statement. '75 was one of the best and strongest Guard that SCV ever had. Never before had we done so much work so well. Being one of the Guard Captains on the field that night, I was privileged to watch them put on their best performance of the season. They were awesome, right along with 27th and Madison IMHO.

....sorry for the knee jerk reaction to your "no one else was close" statement.

No apology necessary. We were/are passionate and loyal to our corps. I simply remember the audience response in 1975 to what our guard was doing, more than what the bugles were playing or the drums were banging.

I also remember how "rookies" thought the audience was cheering them during the Danny Boy wheel and subsequent rifle "parting" the drumline/hornline. My wifey - a 2-7 rifle - would certainly disagree. :)

Danny Boy without question is an all time Drum and Bugle Corps Classic. As is the pin wheel at the end of their Show. But to me the Best song of the night for the 27th was their concert piece Celebrate. what a great song. And of course this is where one the the greatest guard moves of all time happened. The Rifles started spinning their rifles and never stoped as they went down on their knees and then started to lay down on their backs, and then stood up still spinning. Classic just Classic. And then there is the Bottle Dance. To me the greatest Guard move of all time. I was at the 74 Finals in Ithaca Ny. All though the Bottle Dance was great that night. I really liked the 75 ending better. What is so cool is that these Classic Guard moves amoung others like the Troopers Sun Burst was on display that Aug. night.